What's new

Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip Arrived

Yeah and I want a bunch more too :)

Quick reviews of all the brushes:

23x46 3-band silvertip fan: extremely soft when wet, gel tips, medium density, decent backbone for the size, seems like a great face lathering brush for creams.

24x54 2-band silvertip bulb: strong backbone, soft tips but very scrubby with a tiny bit of scritch if you dig in, medium density, great flow, good for harder soaps.

26x58 2-band silvertip bulb: very soft, good backbone, very big feeling, medium density with good flow, great for bow lathering.

26x54 3-band silvertip fan (Thater): dense, plush, soft, not the best flow, kind of like a more practical Chubby, nice for creams.

So far, if I were to make recommendations:

24x56 would be a good all around size for a 2-band silvertip bulb. The 54mm is just a touch small while the 26x58 is a bit big.

24x54 would be a good size for a 3-band silvertip bulb. Same as the savile row. Needs a bit more backbone but very soft.

23x46 seems like a good size for a finest fan. The silvertip is a little soft to be versatile and seems a bit harder to load. The finest should pick up soap better.

24x48 seems like a good size for a 2-band silvertip fan. It would need a touch more loft for backbone but a touch more size too since it's not as flexible as the 3-band.

The latter two I will likely order next, and I'll see how much use the two big brushes get. If they aren't seeing as much action, maybe I downsize.

Jarick

Great brushes and great summary w/ recommendations. I can't wait to try my 26/56 bulb 2-band. Plan on using it with mostly hard soaps and a scuttle/bowl. Should work well I am hoping. I'll report back once I get it and break it in. Thanks again for helping me out in my other thread.

Thought I'd pile on. Just received my 2-band silver tip in 24 x 50. After two uses, it threatens to be one of my favorites. Soft but sturdy backbone with great flow. Highly recommended.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436038864.048279.jpg

Got my Rudy Vey Shavemac 2-band bulb in hand right now. Wow. It is very nice. Here are a few pics. First is pre bloom next to my dirty RV Holiday LE 2-band. Second pic is after one lather and rinse. I also used the Mike H cleaning technique on the Holiday. Third is the reason I got it, no more knuckle busting on the GP! Yes.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 248
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 246
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 246
Nice combo!

I'm procrastinating but will order a 24x48 2-band silvertip one of these days.

And the 24x48 2-band silvertip fan has been ordered. I ordered it in ivory as I believe it will knock the 24x54 2-band bulb out of rotation, but we shall see.

So Brent, how do you feel about the difference between the two 2-bands? Do they feel very different on your face?

Brush arrived in record time! Under a week from Germany to Minnesota.

Knot measured 24.5mm x 49mm. The handle seems a touch thicker than my old 24mm handle too.

First thoughts, strong backbone, tips mostly soft but should break in a bit, the knot does seem to clump so I need to see how it breaks in.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440896014.191373.jpg

So far, biggest difference is the fan feels bigger while the bulb feels pointy. You have to push on the bulb more to get it to splay out. That makes it less comfortable. The fan does feel a bit springy when working lather while the bulb holds its shape better. The fan seems to hold and release lather a bit better.

So far the tips aren't quite as hooked and quite as soft but I think they break in a touch.

More time with this brush, and it's definitely got a lot of backbone. If you're looking for a scrubby brush, this is the one to get. The tips are still soft. The amount of backbone does create a bit of face feel to the brush, but it's just shy of feeling like any kind of scritch or scratch.

24x48 seems like a good size overall for face lathering. I easily get two passes from this brush and could sometimes stretch to a third.

Yet another custom Shavemac is on the way. I found the 3-band silvertip too soft, so I ordered a 24x48 finest badger in a fan shape. Haven't tried the Shavemac finest yet but I'm told it is soft and resilient.

That's a nice looking fan. I've got a 2-band silvertip bulb on order and a custom handle already chosen. I hope to see the knot before Thanksgiving. :001_smile

After really enjoying the silvertip two band brush, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the finest grade. Its very affordable if its on point.

Six days from Germany to my front door via FedEx Economy, including a weekend. Not bad at all. What a beauty of a knot.

Finest arrived.

First impression, almost no difference between a finest and silvertip. The finest has pronounced gel tips. Similar backbone, maybe the finest has a touch less bloom and a touch more backbone.

On the face, the finest felt very soft. Was there an almost imperceptible scritch? I don't know.

The handle is a cool material. Maybe not quite as much contrast as I thought but works well with the octagon.

Downsides...

The knot measures 23.5mm x 48mm. I ordered 24mm and this one is noticeably smaller. My first few SM were 1mm wider than ordered. Last one was 0.5mm wider and this is actually 0.5mm narrower.

Also it lost about a dozen hairs right out of the box and the test lather. Also not normal.

I'll keep an eye on it, but if it has trouble I might see about exchanging it.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444185092.691833.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444185104.961524.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444185116.095506.jpg

Thanks for the update on that Jarick. I'll be curious to see how it goes. I'm still waiting on my second shavemac to arrive but its yet to even be completed.

First shave today went very well. The extra 2mm loft helps to work the lather more and store a bit more lather as well. Feel on the face again was very soft due to the gel tips and there was no noticeable scritch.

I have to emphasize the no scritch point. I have very sensitive skin and can't stand scritch in any way. I've never liked Simpson Best because it always has a bit of scritch. I don't love the Plisson synthetic because it has a bit of scritch.

With the gel tips, this hair reminds me of the Rooney Super Silvertip.

First shave today went very well. The extra 2mm loft helps to work the lather more and store a bit more lather as well. Feel on the face again was very soft due to the gel tips and there was no noticeable scritch.

I have to emphasize the no scritch point. I have very sensitive skin and can't stand scritch in any way. I've never liked Simpson Best because it always has a bit of scritch. I don't love the Plisson synthetic because it has a bit of scritch.

With the gel tips, this hair reminds me of the Rooney Super Silvertip.

And there goes all the shavemac finest knots.

Top Bottom