What's new

Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip Arrived

I still LOVE his handle material, and the craftsmanship is outstanding. If I weren't obsessed with these octagonal handles I would need one.

@Ksn2273

Thank you.

The knot is all I was hoping for. Good backbone, soft tips, doesn't seem to hog lather. I've had two or three Thater two bands, and while being very soft, they just didn't have the amount of backbone that I prefer. I think this is it.
I believe the loft could have gone to 52, maybe even 53 and it would still meet my preferences.

And Peter at Wolf Whiskers was stellar to work with. He is a true artisan and gentleman.

Congratulations on the new brush, Max! I still believe this is one of the best hairs that is being offered, at the moment! :thumbup:

@Ksn2273

Thank you.

The knot is all I was hoping for. Good backbone, soft tips, doesn't seem to hog lather. I've had two or three Thater two bands, and while being very soft, they just didn't have the amount of backbone that I prefer. I think this is it.
I believe the loft could have gone to 52, maybe even 53 and it would still meet my preferences.

And Peter at Wolf Whiskers was stellar to work with. He is a true artisan and gentleman.

I could not agree more with your observations! Enjoy your brush, I know I'm enjoying mine!

Well, the Shavemac 2-band will have a little brother on the way. Ordered a 173 ivory handle with a 24mm x 54mm 2-band silvertip.

Got word that it shipped out with an ETA of next Wednesday. Was hoping for it to ship a little sooner as I sprang for the $20 Fedex Priority, but hopefully this time it doesn't get held up in the mail for a month.

Okay, brush was delivered today kind of. Wife didn't hear the knock so they were going to try again tomorrow. I went online and told them to hold it at a local store. Got the call it was ready just as I left work.

Brush is pretty close to spec. Ordered 24x54 bulb and I got a 25x53 maybe. Very close to the old Thater 4125/1 I had which measured 25x52.

I'm not an ivory guy but I needed variety vs the black and plexi handles. Forgot how small these things can be. I had been kicking around the idea of a 22 but this is as small as I want to go. Should be an ideal size for two pass shaves.

Initial feel was good, seemed soft, on par with and maybe just a touch softer than the last shavemac 2 band. When wet I felt a bit of scritch but I had that with the other and it went away after a few uses. I think this will be a winner.

Both these brushes have serious funk out of the box. I ordered with some Speick soap and cream and did a little bath with the cream. That smells very nice.

Pre bloom
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428957362.327893.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428957370.527120.jpg

Post bloom
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428957381.345536.jpg

Group shots pre and post bloom
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428957388.763394.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428957395.031064.jpg

Gave it about half a dozen test lathers and cleanings last night and use it to shave this morning. It hasn't lost a single hair. The 2-band silvertip seems very resilient.

Using the brush, I wish I had gone to 56mm loft, because the bulb is a bit pointy and the hair has a fair amount of backbone. It makes it a bit tricky to load the brush as there isn't much surface area. You also have to apply a fair amount of pressure to get the brush to splay on the face, which isn't ideal.

Scritch is pretty much all gone. Soft tips that have a touch of gel feel when wet, but not curled. I think this will improve even a little bit more with use.

Again, the brush is somewhat dense but has good flow. The hairs are thicker with good backbone, but when you squeeze the brush it holds a surprisingly large amount of water/lather.

I got my two pass shave in today and even had another half pass left in the brush, so the size is ideal for my use.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Here's my fantastic Shavemac 23x48 2-band Silvertip D01, fan shape, mounted in a Wolf Whiskers handle. I asked Peter to give me as much loft as possible.

$DSC_0412.jpg

Fantastic brush, and it keeps getting better.

Congrats on the new brush. To my eye, the Shavemac looks a bit pointier than the Thater. My last two Shavemac bulbs (both from Rudy Vey, one the new 2-band, the other, the regular 3-band), are pointier than my Thater bulb and Savile Row bulb. I actually asked Rudy if Bernd could make a bulb less extreme and more rounded, but Bernd said he's staying with a standard shape. It's interesting that there is such a difference between my Shavemacs and Savile Row, considering that they are allegedly the same knot.

Thanks for such a detailed review. This has been extremely helpful!

If Bernd made a hybrid shape it would be over. Consistency, quality, reasonable prices, unlimited options.

. . . It's interesting that there is such a difference between my Shavemacs and Savile Row, considering that they are allegedly the same knot. . .

Maybe the same manufacturer, but distinct differences. SR's are not an off-the-shelf Shavemac knot.

Definitely 2-band silvertip. I haven't used any D01 brushes, but there's almost no scritch to this hair and it's not overly dense. It's not lacking density, but it's not a stick of badger hair. There is a teeny tiny bit of scritch but that's due to the bulb shape and loft being a touch low and my super sensitive skin.

Using this brush every other day, alternating between my Thater 26mm 3-band and my Shavemac 26mm 2-band. This 24mm is definitely a touch stiff compared to the others. Still figuring out if I will love it or not. On the fence right now. Again, at 26mm there likely wouldn't be an issue, but then it's barely any smaller than my 26x58 knot which I absolutely love.

Thinking about a fan shape Shavemac next to see how I like that.

Maybe the same manufacturer, but distinct differences. SR's are not an off-the-shelf Shavemac knot.

Roger that. My SR is definitely not as pointy as my Shavemac. Matter of fact, I wish I had that SR in the larger knot - it's awesome.

Top Bottom