What's new

Yet another poor shave from a barber. Good experience poor shave

so I started a thread earlier in the week of a local barber that just opened near my house. well here is the review of a shave I just got there.

for reference the earlier thread. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-and-fails-on-advertising-and-shave-knowledge

so I went in for shave sat right down. if I have been a couple minutes later I would of been waiting. So I sit down for the shave and lay back in the chair. He started by applying a pre-shave gel followed by a hot towel. will I was marinating under the towel. he brought out the face steamer. after a few minutes under the towel he removed the towel used it to wipe off the excess pre-shave. He then used a hot lather machine and applied a sandalwood scented shave cream and a second hot towel. after about a full commercial break of sports center he removed the towel wiped off the shave cream and re-applied a fresh layer of cream. (in my opinion a descent prep)

pulls the barbers razor. (state law/licensing does not allow shaving blades to be reused.) Starts with a pretty high pressure pass on my right cheek. I could really feel the tip of the razor with most passes. lots of buffing. moved to the left cheek same thing. he re applied lather and went for round two same method. I felt one pass on my jaw line the just didn't feel right. find out I got a 1/2 inch long slice on my jaw line. He finishes with my mustache and neck. then wipes off the shave cream with a warm towel. the face steaming was running the whole time. then the post shave begins.

Starts with Lucky Tiger Menthol and mint post shave very heavy followed by a cold towel. He left the towel on for a few minutes then wiped off the balm and used a second cold towel wrap after applying aftershave.

the shave was done took about 40 minutes from the time I sat down to when I got up. the shave wasn't very good it was about were my 5 O'clock shadow is. no irritation. other than the cut and two nicks. that was surprising.

Overall descent experience. won't go back for a shave but will get my hair cut there.

I know the place you are talking about but it sounds like I won't bother giving them a try. That's too bad..... I don't get a shave from a barber often but I do enjoy the occasional pampering that comes with it. I guess I'll stay with Red's downtown.

I don't think anyone could shave me as well as I do it. Plus, 40 minutes? No way. Takes me 15 at most for BBS, start to finish, with prep work.

I bet that cost you way too much money as well. At least you consider it a good experience.

I don't think anyone could shave me as well as I do it. Plus, 40 minutes? No way. Takes me 15 at most for BBS, start to finish, with prep work.

I bet that cost you way too much money as well. At least you consider it a good experience.
Thats true! Couldn't agree more. I went to a barber for a shave twice and i'll never do it again. In my area a shave costs only two euros but still it's not worth it. I rather do it myself and enjoy every single second of it.

I get a full BBS (yes even on my neck) within 20 minutes so why even bother to go to a barber lol.

You left the shave with a 5 o'clock shadow and a cut sliced into your face?

I could get the same result by picking a fight with a drug dealer in Bushwick, and at least I might make the news....

Half inch slice and two nicks? Those are close to fighting words. Shameful he even charged you. That's why I'll never do it. He can scar you for life and just say oops.

I have yet to read a thread in which somebody talks about the amazing shave they got from a barber. It makes me wonder why that is. Is it becauses they can't use a traditional straight these days? Lack of experience on the part of modern barbers? Was a shave from a barber all that great back in the day? Regardless, I don't think I'll be paying for a shave after reading these. Unless I happen to be visiting London, and can get a shave on Fleet Street...cause that would be cool...Lol.

I have yet to read a thread in which somebody talks about the amazing shave they got from a barber. It makes me wonder why that is. Is it becauses they can't use a traditional straight these days? Lack of experience on the part of modern barbers? Was a shave from a barber all that great back in the day? Regardless, I don't think I'll be paying for a shave after reading these. Unless I happen to be visiting London, and can get a shave on Fleet Street...cause that would be cool...Lol.

My Dad tells a story about when he got out of the Army and went to a barber in Portland for a shave. The barber was old and his hand was shaky. Dad was a bit worried but the old timer did a good job. He was an old timer in 1970, he knew how to use a straight razor.

When I was a kid my barber used a straight to for the hair on my neck, I never gave it a thought, he always did a fine job. Looking back, I wish I'd have gotten a shave from him.

Although I've always wanted a barbershop straight razor shave I've never had one, and I will not get one. I have a hard enough time finding a barber that will give me a decent haircut.

My grandfather was an old fashioned Italian Barber in NYC from the early 1920s through the early 1960s and I was told he was an absolute artist in the straight razor. Shaved plenty of mob guys and never once got shot over it, so I guess he was pretty good.

I would venture to say, that if you had not spent so much money, you wouldn't have put a positive spin on the experience.
1. Expensive
2. 1/2 inch long cut
3. Two nics
4. Left with a five o'clock shadow

Please explain how this was an "overall descent experience"???

Last edited:
so I started a thread earlier in the week of a local barber that just opened near my house. well here is the review of a shave I just got there.

for reference the earlier thread. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-and-fails-on-advertising-and-shave-knowledge

so I went in for shave sat right down. if I have been a couple minutes later I would of been waiting. So I sit down for the shave and lay back in the chair. He started by applying a pre-shave gel followed by a hot towel. will I was marinating under the towel. he brought out the face steamer. after a few minutes under the towel he removed the towel used it to wipe off the excess pre-shave. He then used a hot lather machine and applied a sandalwood scented shave cream and a second hot towel. after about a full commercial break of sports center he removed the towel wiped off the shave cream and re-applied a fresh layer of cream. (in my opinion a descent prep)

pulls the barbers razor. (state law/licensing does not allow shaving blades to be reused.) Starts with a pretty high pressure pass on my right cheek. I could really feel the tip of the razor with most passes. lots of buffing. moved to the left cheek same thing. he re applied lather and went for round two same method. I felt one pass on my jaw line the just didn't feel right. find out I got a 1/2 inch long slice on my jaw line. He finishes with my mustache and neck. then wipes off the shave cream with a warm towel. the face steaming was running the whole time. then the post shave begins.

Starts with Lucky Tiger Menthol and mint post shave very heavy followed by a cold towel. He left the towel on for a few minutes then wiped off the balm and used a second cold towel wrap after applying aftershave.

the shave was done took about 40 minutes from the time I sat down to when I got up. the shave wasn't very good it was about were my 5 O'clock shadow is. no irritation. other than the cut and two nicks. that was surprising.

Overall descent experience. won't go back for a shave but will get my hair cut there.

I'd never go to a barbershop for just a shave, that takes 40min. Maybe haircut and shave.

I'm now wondering the same thing.

I'd never go to a barbershop for just a shave, that takes 40min. Maybe haircut and shave.
Didn't know it would take 40 minutes when I went in.

I would venture to say, that if you had not spent so much money, you wouldn't have put a positive spin on the experience.
1. Expensive
2. 1/2 inch long cut
3. Two nice

I never said it was expensive. I never mentioned the cost. it was not expensive. $20 with a decent tip ( I didn't notice the cut till I was in the car and already paid).

1. Expensive
2. 1/2 inch long cut
3. Two nics

$20. I guess it was a good deal then??????

And this is why I don't trust others to shave my face. I know my face better than others. For $20, a nice facial at the wife's salon might be another option.

westsider...Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't ever go to a barber for a shave. Someday I will. There are plenty of great barbers out there, young and old, that will give a great shave. I'd be surprised if any of those shaves measure up to how good a job we do on our own seeing as we know our own faces better than a stranger.

I suspect that that expectations might be a bit...off. A BBS shave from a guy/gal doing the shave for you? No way. Or, at least, highly unlikely. There are many barbershops where I live that are run by Arabic and West Indian barbers and they always have men in the chairs getting "hot shaves". I asked a couple of the gentlemen how the shaves were and they replied that the shaves were comfortable and close enough to look presentable. I think that's a fair deal for a few bucks.

As for the cut and nicks you received, I can only imagine a truely professional barber would've been more devasted, in a way, at having inflicted those wounds than you.

It's a noble and world class profession, IMHO. If you like the idea of the experience, don't let this incident curb your enthusiasm. Go find yourself a real barber.

Top Bottom