What's new

First time DE shave

Hello all, my name is Matt. Today was my first time shaving with a double edge razor. I have been using an electric razor for about 3 years now. I have a Maggard MR6, an Omega 13564 brush, Proraso White shaving cream, and RazoRock Mister Joe pre shave soap.

Well, let's just say things didn't go as planned. I used Derby-Extra blades, didn't apply pressure (I think), tried to get the right angle (30 deg) and started WTG. Boy did I bleed and there's plenty of stubble left. The styptic pen worked great though.

First off, my lather was NOT good, even after it started turning pink. If my face stops burning, I'll give it another go tomorrow. I'll continue with Derby blades and no pressure, letting the weight of the razor do the work, but I will spend more time making lather.

Those Youtube videos make it look so easy.

(What have I gotten my self into?) :laugh:

Welcome, and sorry your first go was so troublesome. You might want to let your face heal for an extra day before you shave again. If you're coming from an electric shaver you will need to take it easy and learn about your beard growth directions. Try and shave with the grain of your beard for your first tries and a little left over stubble is no biggie.

I had used cartridges for a long time so using a DE razor was not so bad for me, but I'm still a beginner too so I just take it one shave at a time. The good news is that you got that styptic pencil all figured out ;-)

Mr Eleven

Thanks guys. Thanks for the links too. The wiki link didn't work directly, but I found the wiki index and will do some more reading.

I'm also going to try a hot towel on the face after the preshave soap wash.

Hello and welcome Matt! I'm sure you will get the hang of it, just need the right combo of prep and technique. Be sure your shaving cream is slick enough, and use a bit more water than you think you'd need. Wet your face before applying lather too, should help. Most importantly, go slow and adjust the angle if you feel the razor is pulling too much. Tons of great info here, I have no doubt you will get the hang of it very soon! Keep us posted!

Welcome from Arizona !

It takes awhile to see what works. When I started shaving, I got the razor technique fast but tortured my face with
strong after shave lotion.

Don't hesitate to take a break sufficient to let your skin heal up before going at it again. I'm a firm believer that someone new to DE should select a mild razor and forget about BBS, but instead focus on technique with the goal of completing the shave with no cuts or abrasions. After that you can start dialing up your technique and focusing on getting the closer shave.

In that learning curve you'll know your beard to the point you'll know exactly where you need to slow down and take it light, and where you can be a bit more aggressive.

Good luck!

I am new as well, just developing good technique and about 6 shaves in. I came off of using Gillette Mach 3's for the last 15 years, sick of the price, and everything else available was as expensive or more. I found that when I switched the first shave was the hardest, and it gets easier every time. I also recognized on shave #2 that I was putting pressure into it, despite not thinking I was. It takes some focus and concentration to get the feel correct compared to what I was used to, and I suspect that coming from an electric razor would make that transition worse. When you try it again you'll want to pay close attention to that, start away from the face and just move in until it touches.

Hello and welcome! I noticed you did not mention what face prep you did before your shave so I shall give a quick crash course for you. Before I do know that I have only 3 DE shaves under my belt but every one has turned out perfect, so I will share what I personally did. Get your brush ready by soaking it in hot water before shower. Take a HOT shower, as hot as you can handle. Wash your face thoroughly with either scrub or soap of choice. Once out do not towel dry your face, let it stay moist. I use soap, so I soak my soap in the bowl with hot water, this softens the soap and also heats the bowl to keep lather warm.While that is soaking for a minute or two, place a hot towel over your face for about 30 seconds. Do that twice. Then drain your soap, flick excess water out of brush and begin whipping up a lather. Not too much water, you want a cream not a light foam. Then lather face, and start your shave! Slow is the key here with short effortless strokes, and try not to keep going over the same spot. Use as little pressure as possible, I use only my thumb, pointer and middle finger at the balancing point of the razor to hold it. This is what works for me but like everything in wetshaving, YMMV. Goodluck and I hope I helped a bit!

Thanks for in input everyone.

If my face/neck are feeling up to it tomorrow, I'm going to start with a preshave soap, and I'll add a hot towel. I'm going to add more water to the lather and use a mug (not my face) to get a good lather going. I'm also going to reduce the contact angle of the razor.

Hello and welcome! I'm sure you'll get it figured out, I learned that proper angle is vital. Be sure to read the tutorials in the wiki.

Welcome Matt....Listen to these guys they wont steer you wrong. I am sure you will get better with each save.

Don

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Matt; The first shaves aren't always the best, your technique will certainly improve rapidly with experience. Allow healing when necessary and take your time as you get used to it; I'm sure you'll be just fine!

proxy.php

Welcome to B&B

Try every other day shaving (if your work will permit you to be a little stubbly every other day).

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

My first shave I was very nervous. I had always used disposables before. I was afraid I would cut the crap out of myself. So very carefully I did the deed. No bleeding but the shave was average..(too careful). The next time I just shaved like normal short light strokes and and finished up 2 passes, 1 small nick and it was the best shave ever. The razor was a Merkur 42c.
If you have always used electric you learning curve may be a little steeper. You may want to pick up a pack of disposable razors to get the hang of it then move to your DE.

Before using the electric I used cartridge razors. But I think you're right, and as other's above mentioned, my electric shave habits needs to stop. With the electric, you can use pressure, go fast, go slow, go up, go down, etc...

I thought I was going slow. But obviously not slow enough. I hope to not make that same mistake again.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Matt, as we like to say here on B&B "a good prep and lather is half a good shave". Hence, follow our tutorials and make some "practice lathers" even without shaving - it does waste some soap and time, but it's definitely worth doing to improve your technique. Of course, welcome aboard. :001_smile

Top Bottom