What's new

Beginners Distance

What's a good distance for an 8 y/o to start shooting a.22 rifle at?

While I'm here, what's the recommended self/home defense target distance?

Thanks!

Kind of thinking back, I would say that maybe 50' would be a good distance to start with. You'll be moving him/her to 50 yds in no time. In terms of the self defense question, were you talking about a hand gun or the same .22?

I agree with 50' and a solid bench. You want him to gain confidence and success. Move target as he is ready.

re Self/Home Defense:
IIRC, most shootings take place at 5 yards or less. Since you are speaking of home defense, take a look at the distances involved in your house. Very few of your lines of sight are over 20 feet. This is one reason why a shotgun is not the miracle weapon that is is cracked up to be for indoor use -- the shot pattern just doesn't have enough time to spread.

When I started with Kyle(age 4)his first was a Red Ryder BB gun. About 10 feet as he got more comfortable with it,HE chose to move further away from the targets -- Soda cans, clay pigeons, and ballons. By age 6,Making the transition to a .22 way almost seamless. We started him with targets of various size at 20 feet out to 50 yards. Now at age 10 he is doing well with most any gun I own at distances out to 500 yards on a full size IPSC steel target. For close range pistol we generally use anywhere from 3 feet to 20 yards, He doesn't fully understand the reasoning behind shooting so close(in side 20feet--TOO easy he says)but building confidence, muscle memory, and safe gun handling skills is priceless. I've been very blessed to have an understanding wife and a close friend who is a nationally ranked shooter/instructor to help along the way. Start them young and teach them to make good decisions because they are the future.

Best of luck and congrats on passing on a tradition.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
+1 to all the above. The average defensive hand gun encounter is said to occur within about 7 yds (21 ft) or less. There is a famous "Tueller drill" which is based upon the distance that the average assailant with a knife can close upon someone with a holstered pistol and cut them before they can draw their gun and accurately fire a defensive shot. Most CCW courses are conducted primarily within this range. Most Police handgun qualification courses use this close range in addition to 25 and 50 yds.

One quick safety thing I'll mention with regard to shooting at different distances - make sure the target is always at the backstop, if possible and move your shooting position. If you control the distance by moving the target closer to a fixed bench (using a free standing target frame, etc) your bullets will very likely be hitting the ground at an angle that will make them prone to ricochet. It's not a big deal at most ranges, as there's usually a tall backstop, or a backstop at the distance you want anyway. Just mentioning in case you shoot on your own property, etc. Even 22 rimfire can go close to a mile on ground ricochet (although they wouldn't in most cases). Given your active duty status, you probably already know this....but thought I'd mention just in case.

Thank you very much for your service to our country.

Start close, 5-10 feet for both. Get confidence, develop form, hold, trigger control, follow-through, and increase the distance. Better to develop confidence and good technique up close than to wonder what's wrong and not have fun at a distance. Start with a big target and focus on getting tight groups. With the 9, dry fire and focus on the front sight. Dry fire helps build muscle memory and instinct without the distration of recoil, noise, etc and you can do it at home between trips to the range. As consistancy gets easy increase the distance. Most .22 rifle matches at my range are 50-feet and 50-yards with a few 100-yard matches. When I practice for Steel Challenge I work on small plates from the draw at 20-40 yards, the close big targets are easier after that but still require the same technique and focus. If I get in a rut, I bring the big plates in close and reset myself.

Have fun,

Tom

Last edited:
Not sure about the distance to start a child out at, but 25 to 30 feet or so sounds reasonable to assure they are getting a good sight picture and getting the rounds on the paper.

Most of my defensive pistol training has been done with targets between 2 and 5 yards away. A few times we went farther out, and sometimes a bit closer (shooting from a retention position). Shooting much farther out than 7 to 10 yards is getting kind of unrealistic. Beyond 30 or 40 feet, an "imminent threat" is probably shooting at you (if he just has a knife or hammer, you're gonna have some serious explaining to do if you shoot him). I suggest using the opportunity that distance affords you to become a very fast and noisy moving target.

I started my kids shooting at 50 feet.
You want them to have fun and nothing is more fun than hitting the target.
Reactive targets (cans, clay birds) will be more exciting for the youngster.
After getting the fundamentals down they will be asking to move farther back to test their skills.

As a cop and firearms instructor I mostly train at 7 yards or less for defensive handgun.
If you are much farther away, you can escape the threat easier than engage it.

Our handgun qualification does go out to 25 yards and I am not afraid to shoot that far, but in 17 years of policing I have never pointed my handgun at a threat farther than maybe 5 yards away.

Thanks everyone! I took my 8 y/o daughter last week, put her at around 20ft and let her shoot at some color changing targets. Out of 50 rounds I'd say she hit the paper about 12 times. She had a blast.

I'm bringing my 6 y/o son this weekend, he's more impatient than my daughter. I was thinking about taping balloons to the target board and letting him pop them.

Thanks everyone. I forgot, the self/home defense will be a 9mm handgun.

For home defence, how big is your home? How big is your yard? Re the 9mm, you also need to think about the typical construction of your walls ect because 9mm will go through things like sheet rock walls and could pose a significant danger if your loved ones are sheltering the other side..

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks everyone! I took my 8 y/o daughter last week, put her at around 20ft and let her shoot at some color changing targets. Out of 50 rounds I'd say she hit the paper about 12 times. She had a blast.

I'm bringing my 6 y/o son this weekend, he's more impatient than my daughter. I was thinking about taping balloons to the target board and letting him pop them.

Get him on paper first so he can see what he's doing. Then I'll bet he has a blast on the balloons. Or better yet, put the balloons in front of some paper so he can see where his shots go.

Oh, I guess by saying taping the balloons to the target board...that's what you meant.

About 6 was when I started shooting. Sad to say I haven't improved as much as I wanted to. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
For home defence, how big is your home? How big is your yard? Re the 9mm, you also need to think about the typical construction of your walls ect because 9mm will go through things like sheet rock walls and could pose a significant danger if your loved ones are sheltering the other side..

Pretty much any caliber will penetrate drywall.
The 9mm with proper bullet selection is perfectly fine.

Look at the layout of your home and where your bedroom is in relation to your kid's.
If an intruder enters your home, your first duty is to protect your family. Put yourself between them and the intruder.
Moving forward to engage the bad guy is a bad idea. Get yourself and the family in a defensible area and let the bad guy come to you if possible.

If you hear something go bump in the night first thing you do is call the police and get them started your way. Their response time can be several minutes, so the sooner they get moving the better. Then grab your light and pistol and gather your family. Use the light to identify and blind your target before pulling the trigger. To many times I read where some teenager got shot by their parent sneaking back into the house.

Property can be replaced. Going outside to stop someone stealing from your car is a no win situation. The standard to use deadly force is imminent threat of death or serious physical harm. When you put yourself in the situation, I don't see how it can be imminent.

+1 on your priorities. Family first, everything else dead last. Fort up, call 911 on your cell phone (no lines that can be cut), and wait for the cavalry. That's what you pay them for.

Keep in mind, if THEY shoot the intruder, the inevitable legal hassles are their problem, not yours. You won't have the worthless relatives suing you because "He was just a choir boy who got lost and was wanting to ask for directions so that he could get home to take of his sick momma and his little brothers and sisters."

I actually asked two questions; one about starting children target shooting and a good distance to start practicing at for home/self defense. No one here wants to shoot another human being, but I will defend my family and myself with lethal means if necessary.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I actually asked two questions; one about starting children target shooting and a good distance to start practicing at for home/self defense. No one here wants to shoot another human being, but I will defend my family and myself with lethal means if necessary.

3 yards, or nose to nose distance...high and tight (for weapon retention purposes) like hold the weapon in tight to your side about ***** high next to your ribs. Be aware if you are using a semi-auto that the slide can bite your ribs. A revolver it won't matter. And don't chicken wing it with your elbow splayed out...keep your elbow directly in line with the firearm. It should go without saying that your hand should be held against your ribs (kinda like an anchor point) and not the muzzle. :scared:

Then 7 yards with your arm a bit extended, about 3/4 of the way, about chest high, about like you'd point at something with your finger chest high, for another point shootin' exercise.

Then 15 yards, two handed, arms extended with elbows slightly bent, with the sight plane of the gun just below your line of sight...like about nose, mouth, or chin level (whatever works for you) while focusing on the center mass (chest area) of the target with your eyes.

Then do 25 yard aimed fire.

Then 50 yards using a neck hold, aimed fire, on the target to drop the rounds into the chest area.

For the children...as close as they can get good hits at...like real close. Then move the targets back when they know that they can do this.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
this tread started out as a question about what is a good distance for a CHILD to practice shooting a .22 weapon at targets, how has it progressed to tips on holding a gun battle in your house? stop shooting each other!!

I wish it was as simple as that.

Top Bottom