What's new

Review: St. James of London Black Pepper and Lime Cream

Happy Friday, my brethren of the razor!

I recently bought St. James of London's Black Pepper and Lime cream. Since I haven't seen much in the way of reviews of any of their products, I thought I would offer my thoughts. If it matters, I ordered directly from the St. James site. The site was easy to use and the product was shipped promptly. I ordered Friday and it was shipped out on Monday. The product was packaged quite well in the box, with plenty of padding. I was actually surprised at how much box there was for what was inside. On to the cream!

The retail packaging of the cream itself was nice. The cardboard box is sturdy, and the packaging attractive. The cream itself comes in a clear glass jar with a metal lid. The labeling, too, is attractive and conservative.

Like any B&B'er worthy of the association, I immediately opened the jar and sniffed it. The black pepper is the dominant scent, which is to say that it's the most noticeable, not that it's overpowering. Underneath, there are hints of lime. If there was such a fruit as a "lime pepper", this is probably what it would smell like. I didn't get the immediate "WOW" I did when I first smelled, say, Trumper's GFT or Coconut, but this particular scent combination is unlike anything else I've tried. I have a favorable impression of it, but we'll see if it becomes olfactory love or not.

Moving on to actually using the cream, I scooped out a slightly more generous amount than I would normally, since I have no experience with this line of products. It's worth noting that the cream is a firmer cream as compared with, say, AOS or Trumpers. It is not a croap by any stretch of the imagination, however, as it easily yielded to the spoon I use for scooping.

Lathering was easily accomplished using my typical amount of water, and generated an appropriate amount of lather given the amount of water and cream used. There was enough lather for three passes plus a touch-up, with enough left over for another pass (and another touch-up). This is what I usually shoot for with all of my creams, so it looks like I hit the sweet spot. The lather was slick and had ample cushion. It's worth noting that once lathered, the scent complexion changed a little with the lime making itself more known. That said, I stand by my "lime pepper" description above.

Overall, I'd say this cream is exactly what it claims to be in terms of scent, and the quality is what I'd expect from a cream in this price range. I'll have some follow-up comments after Sunday's shave, but my initial impression is favorable.

very good summary. a kind member had shared a sample of st james black pepper and lime with me a few months ago, and your comments mirrored my experience as well.
i later ordered a tub of the sandalwood and bergamot, which is also great.

$st james samples feather rudy vey pinaud lime sec july 11 2014.jpg

I had my second shave in a row with this cream, and my opinion above has not changed. It's a good quality cream, certainly worthy of association with the Three T's (or at least the two that I've tried -- TOBS and GFT). The scent is still "lime pepper", if such a fruit actually existed, but my Mark I Scent Discriminator picked up more notes of lime out of the container this time. On the brush, more lime was also noticeable, but it was still "lime pepper".

All in all, I'm still undecided if I love this scent or not, but I don't dislike it. The cream itself is a solid performer. It's in my rotation and will make an appearance again in a week or so.

I agree that it's a unique scent. It smells unlike any other cream I've encountered. As much as I enjoy it, I prefer the Mandarin & Patchouli, Sandalwood & Bergamot and Cedarwood & Clarysage (haven't tried the Lavendar & Geranium). They're all excellent performers, though. I've become a huge fan of SJOL.

I had my second shave in a row with this cream, and my opinion above has not changed. It's a good quality cream, certainly worthy of association with the Three T's (or at least the two that I've tried -- TOBS and GFT). The scent is still "lime pepper", if such a fruit actually existed, but my Mark I Scent Discriminator picked up more notes of lime out of the container this time. On the brush, more lime was also noticeable, but it was still "lime pepper".

All in all, I'm still undecided if I love this scent or not, but I don't dislike it. The cream itself is a solid performer. It's in my rotation and will make an appearance again in a week or so.

I have the mandarin and patchouli in route from the UK. I'm hoping shipping don't take terribly long. I'm excited to try this one.

I purchased a sample pack from St. James not too long ago and just used some of it yesterday. The Cedarwood and Clarysage is a very pleasant fresh smell that I enjoyed, had a good shave, with a nice post-shave feel. I also used the Lavender Geranium aftershave which is also fairly light, mostly smelling of lavender. My face felt good hours after the shave. The aftershave is a gel (clear), which I don't mind, and you need very little to cover your face.

The only thing I don't like about the sample pack that St. James of London sells is their packaging. The packaging is very nice don't get me wrong, and they definitely go through more trouble than most companies in terms of packaging, but the problem is they come in packaging that you can't reseal. Pretty much you rip off the 'tab' on the sample and squeeze it to dispense product on your hands. A problem with that is it is difficult to get a good sense of all the scents in their line. You can't smell the stuff until you squeeze it out, i.e. before you are about to use it. So unless you want to open all of the samples at once, it's hard to compare the scents, and unless you plan on squeezing out all the product at once, you can only sniff a small amount at one time.

Nice review BTW. I have a sample of the Black Pepper and Lime in their aftershave and look forward to using it.

Last edited:
I have used St. James of London Black Pepper and Lime and it is one of the best shaving creams I have used. It lathers very easily producing perfect, creamy lather. Both glide and cushioning is top notch, but the best in my opinion is scent. I do like fragrances with pepper note, especially for spring and summer. One of scents I like for warmer days is Lalique White and St. James of London Black Pepper and Lime is the same type. I highly recommend. Great stuff!

I got a 2.5 oz tube of this from DangerousDon in a Memorial Day PIF for us new guys. Did a test lather with it & had similar results. Have not used it to shave with yet as I'm still trying to be consistent with soap/lather while I learn and try out blades. But will also post a review when I get around to using it (perhaps in the next few weeks.)

Theirs is top rate in my book, I bought a full size jar and love the stuff. Probably a thicker lather than most anything else I have tried. A little goes a long way. Todd and Brittany are great folks to deal with as a bonus. :thumbup1:

I got a 2.5 oz tube of this from DangerousDon in a Memorial Day PIF for us new guys. Did a test lather with it & had similar results. Have not used it to shave with yet as I'm still trying to be consistent with soap/lather while I learn and try out blades. But will also post a review when I get around to using it (perhaps in the next few weeks.)

:thumbup:

My father bought me a jar of the lime and black pepper shaving cream. First reaction was (brain voice) "PLEASE don't spend money on something scented without running it by me first!" But I'm glad he did. This is such a great scent combo made with essential oils and other quality ingredients. It also lathers as well as the Castle Forbes or TOBS, easy. I really enjoy this shave cream. Thanks Dad!

Top Bottom