What's new

Red Wing Iron Rangers

I wasn't even remotely in the market for boots until I saw a thread on Red Wing Iron Rangers. Once I read through the entire thing and saw several pictures of them, I decided I really wanted a pair, they're a great looking boot! After reading about all the sizing issues, I was concerned about getting the right fit. I heard from some they were true to size, others said you have to go down at least a half size or more. To calm my worries, I went to 2 different Red Wing stores to see what size they would put me in. I wear a size 12 in all my footwear and go with a wide in Asics and New Balance shoes or they tend to bite the top of my right foot. The first store started me with an 11.5 D but they really pinched the top of my right foot badly. They then put me in a 12 D and they were pretty comfortable. They felt like a firm handshake and the only discomfort was mild and what you would expect with a stiff new boot or shoe. They felt pretty comfortable from the box so I got the impression that they would break in pretty quickly. The 2nd store put me in a 12 D from the start. They too were pretty comfortable right from the box. There was plenty room for my toes and slightly loose in the heel but I didn't lace them up very tight. Feeling a lot better that I'm not going to have any unpleasant surprises with sizing, the only thing that is really holding me back is the price. Yikes!! I got kind of squirmy the first time I spent $55 on some New Balance sneakers and ended up wearing them daily about 8 years before the bottom wore out. I balked even more at spending around $110 on some Grinders boots but the Iron Rangers are almost 3 times as much!! I guess I'm trying to rationalize spending so much on a pair of boots.

-With proper care, how long are they likely to last? I'd be wearing them as a casual boot, primarily indoors, no intentional/prolonged exposure to water, mud, or other elements a work boot or hunting boot would be exposed to. I could see wearing them 3-4 days a week about 9 months out of the year. Could they last a decade or more? (Taking into account they may need to be re-soled.) What's your experience?

-Given the above wear habits, how often would you have to treat them to keep the leather in good shape?

-What do you treat your boots with? Red Wing boot oil or paste? Fiebing's Neatsfoot oil? Obenauf's oil? Get them treated at your local Red Wing store? Mink oil? Something else?

-When you buy a pair of Red Wings and choose to have them treat your boots, do you have to get them treated at the store they were purchased or will any Red Wing store do it for you regardless of where they were purchased? I may want to check out the factory store but it's about an hour from where I live and it wouldn't be worth the drive there just to get them treated if I bought a pair there.

I got a good feeling at both stores that they really want to take care of their customers so that's definitely another consideration. I really like them a lot but spending in the neighborhood of $300 on a pair of boots kind of gives me the shakes! :ohmy:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
This was my 4th winter with my pair. Just an FYI since you're somewhere where it snows a lot, the IRs have zero traction on ice or packed snow, in fact I believe they are the closest thing to a pair of personal Maglevs as you can get.

That being said, mind have plenty of life left in them, the heals are starting to get warn on the insides, but they can easily go another year or two before it becomes an issue and needs to be replaced, and that is with wearing them 7 days a week from Fall through flip flop weather.

I have only used the Red Wing Boot oil, but do not make it a point to have the boots treated often. Once every 3 months or seams to be the frequency. I let the local shop where I bought them handle the treatment, since it's <10 minutes away from me. They have an interesting technique, they use a paintbrush to paint the oil on, and sometimes the boots are literally dripping with oil, but the next day they are good to go.

I wasn't even remotely in the market for boots until I saw a thread on Red Wing Iron Rangers. Once I read through the entire thing and saw several pictures of them, I decided I really wanted a pair, they're a great looking boot!

Not to backseat mod but it probably would have been a good idea to just add to that thread rather than start a whole new one. Anyway, as to your questions:

1) A decade of wear if not abused and taken care of isn't unreasonable.
2) I treat mine quarterly/when they look dry. Don't overcondition them. Every 3-6 months should be fine.
3) I use mink oil but I've heard good things about Obenauf's oil (not the LP, the oil).
4) Treating your boots at home is dead simple, the store stuff is kind of just an excuse to get you in the door. The real reason to buy them from Red Wing is the 30 day comfort guarantee if purchased from them.

Don't worry about the price. They're worth it. If you're never bought a quality pair of footwear before (e.g. $300 boots like Red Wings) then you'll immediately understand why the cost so much when you feel them and break them in. Way more comfortable, way more durable, way better looking than cheaper shoes.

My Iron Rangers were growing mold in the toes at the end of month 1. I think because the cap toe was tight and it was holding moisture in there. I've never had that happen with the 20 or so other pair of leather boots I've owned in my lifetime.

Mine are about two years of near constant wear. I've owned them for three years, but I have other boots. The leather insole that's in there is cracking up at the toes. Little chunks of leather have fallen out of the boots. I think I need to treat the insides with oil or something to slow that down.

My government issue army boots lasted me 17 years before they were pretty much done. I feel like my iron rangers are going to last me about four years probably. I wear them in all conditions like mud, water, working on cars, oil spilling onto them, a boot full of gasoline every time the left carburetor on my BMW floods, etc...

They fit me like slippers. And I am less than 1/10th of the way worn through the sole even though I've probably walked more than 1000 miles in them. I like them even though they have had the couple of weird issues I mentioned. I would buy another pair after these wear out.

I also own Red Wing 213 moc toe heritage boots from circa 2010. Those boots look like new. I don't wear them to live out my stupid adventures.. just to work or play on the weekends. Those boots breathe better and therefore the insoles have held up better.

This of course depends on the shape of your foot and all that jazz.

I've used deglazer on my boots to completely remove the original black dye and re-dyed them with Fiebings oil based dye after the guy at the Red Wing store offered me a 'free shine' and screwed them all up. I also use Cadillac brand leather treatment on them about once every two months.

Pic of them from 1.5 years ago:
$boots.jpg

Pic of them a couple of months ago after I cleaned them.

$tumblr_nh9aczKq0K1qmij6jo1_1280.jpg

I have four friends that have the same boots and theirs all look better than mine since they wear them dressy. I just live my life in mine. And my life is full of bad decisions and stupid hobbies. My suggestion is to quit hemming and hawing and get the sucky part overwith (the spending 300 dollars) because afterwards you'll enjoy it.

I like mine even though they filled with mold on month one. I killed that stuff off with tea tree oil, by the way and it never happened after that. But I think the boots also stretched to fit my instep, which let enough air into the toes.

And I take photos of stuff when I get bored in the winter, so here's some more photos of the boots at about 2.5 years of age:
$soles.jpg
$bootsside.jpg
$sideup.jpg

And after one of my angry motorcycle moments when I realized my boot was completely soaked through with motor oil from a blown pushrod tube seal.

$gasboot.jpg

I wear these to work with dress pants during the week.

I purchased my first pair this past September. I wear them 4-5 times per week however my profession is a middle-school teacher so I'm not exactly rough on them but according to my phone (Apple health app) I walk around 6 miles per day. I've done absolutely nothing yet to care for my boots and if I told you I bought them last week you'd probably believe me. They still look great. I plan on taking them back to the store soon to get waxed or oiled or whatever they do for good measure. I will say the sole is a little slicker than I thought they'd be and I've contemplated getting them re-soled with the vibram soles.

I've had mine for about a month. I wear them every other day. They were a little tough to break in. I'm a high school shop teacher and stand/walk on concrete all day long. I have not noticed the slick/traction issues others speak of when walking on snow or ice. I coughed hard over the $300 price, but in the end, if they last 5+ years, they will be worth it. I've had Tony Lama cowboy boots last that long and these appear to be of a higher quality and of similar comfort level after they broke in.

Hi Mikelz777,

I see you live in Minnesota, I do too.

This past fall the Red Wing plant had their big tent sale selling Red Wing seconds.

I went and purchased two pair of Iron Rangers for $90 a pair! Keep an eye out for the sale, they may have it again this coming fall.

I have three pair of Iron Rangers, and believe them to be the best boot available in the under-$350 category. (For $350-$400, you can't go wrong with White's.) I'd echo everything above, but would encourage you to have them re-size with a EE size. I wear 11D shoes, but 10EE Iron Rangers. The sizing issues you raise may be addressed with an 11 or 11.5 size in a EE width. It's worth checking, believe me.

I have three pair of Iron Rangers, and believe them to be the best boot available in the under-$350 category. (For $350-$400, you can't go wrong with White's.) I'd echo everything above, but would encourage you to have them re-size with a EE size. I wear 11D shoes, but 10EE Iron Rangers. The sizing issues you raise may be addressed with an 11 or 11.5 size in a EE width. It's worth checking, believe me.

Maybe your post is a timely "sign" that I should heed. I was actually going to drive to the factory store tomorrow (1 hour drive, 1 way) to pick up some factory 2nds in a 12D but now you have me thinking. I didn't pay much attention at the first store but I seem to recall that the sizes that popped up on their foot measuring machine were EE's. They didn't have wides so he brought out the 11.5D which didn't work. He brought out a 12D in a different boot that he said fit like the Iron Rangers and it felt pretty good but a bit long. He seemed pretty convinced that I should be in a D and even said that I didn't need a EE. He then looked on his computer and directed me to a store which had the Iron Ranger in a 12D. I tried the 12D on there and it felt pretty good but again, seemed a bit long and was slipping a bit in the heel. I'm pretty sure that 11EE and 11.5EE were among the recommended sizes that came up on their measuring machine. I'm guessing they were just showing me what was likely a suitable fit with what they had in stock. Maybe it would be a better idea to ask the store to order an 11EE and an 11.5EE and then compare them with the 12D. I was hoping I could solve this sizing thing at the factory store but I called and they didn't have any 2nds in the EE width. If I try the EE's and they are a better fit, then I'll be spending full retail but if I try them and confirm that a 12D is the right fit, then I might be able to get a factory 2nd and save some $$ if they are still available. My local Red Wing store is only 5 min. away so hopefully they will be accommodating.

Last edited:
I love a seconds discount as much as anyone, but if you're buying boots that you might wear for your lifetime (if you're my age), you're likely better off with the right fit, even if they cost more. My two cents. Good luck! Hope you're enjoying the adventure!

Hi Mikelz777,

I see you live in Minnesota, I do too.

This past fall the Red Wing plant had their big tent sale selling Red Wing seconds.

I went and purchased two pair of Iron Rangers for $90 a pair! Keep an eye out for the sale, they may have it again this coming fall.

At $90.00 a pair, that's quite a bargain! They're selling their 2nds at the factory store for $200.00. I wonder if the tent sale boots @ $90 are boots returned within the 30 day fit guarantee and can't be sold as new or 2nds? I've heard about their tent sale. Isn't it in conjunction with some kind of art festival in Red Wing some time in October? Do they seem to have a pretty good stock of all the sizes in D's and EE's or is it hit and miss? I wear a popular size so when I've gone to this type of thing elsewhere, it seemed like the sizes available at bargain sales were sizes that were really small or really huge. I don't want to wait that long for some Iron Rangers with fingers crossed hoping they had the size and style I'm looking for though I'd still like to check it out to see what else they might have. Maybe some chukkas.....

Last edited:
I love a seconds discount as much as anyone, but if you're buying boots that you might wear for your lifetime (if you're my age), you're likely better off with the right fit, even if they cost more. My two cents. Good luck! Hope you're enjoying the adventure!

I wouldn't buy the 12 D's at a better price if the 11 or 11.5 EE's were a better fit. I have a feeling that the 11.5 EE's are going to be the ticket. I stopped by the store earlier today and they ordered a pair of that size from the factory so I'll probably be able to try them on some time next week.

There is nothing like good boots! My two cents: I have 3 different models of Red Wing Heritage Series boots - none are Iron Rangers, but all are from the same series. I have Beckman smooth toe boot, Ice Cutters (my winter traction boot), and the Engineer Boot (same smooth cork nitrile sole as Rangers). If not in one of these I am otherwise in Allen Edmonds (1 Alden) dress and dress-casual shoes/boots - in all of these I am in 11.5 or 12 D or C width. My feet run on the narrow side of normal and not the thicker side.

Where I landed on sizes in Red Wing Heritage boots: First pair was my test run with Heritage Series - the Beckman which I bought online guessing at size - chose 11.5 - these are plenty big, almost sloppy in the toe/ball of the foot. Next was the Ice Cutter and Engineer bought directly from a visit the Red Wing store - and these two both fit awesome after a few wearings: Ice Cutter - size 10. Yup. 10. Engineer - size 11 - my sense is that the last on the Engieer must be a bit more "narrow" or at least less voluminous since they have no adjustment they need to stretch to your foot, which they did perfectly and very quickly. My guess : is that the Ice Cutter is similar last to the Beckman but because they line the whole upper with thin wool they size down the stated size - I think they are really 10.5or 11 published as 10.

I am am particular about good footwear - and my feet thank me every day. Seriously. A wise investment in your foot health for the long term. (Thanks Grandpa - you done taught me good by your example with Red Wings all those years ago!). Hope that helps.

Late In the game but I will jump in now. First of all by all means get the store to order in the boots you want in the size you may need. They should have offered that option to you in the first place.

How long should they last? With the kind of wear and tear you are talking about - years. I have 15 year old Red Wings with supersoles. Still on the first sole. Now a-days they only come out once a week in rotation with my Blundstone boots. But they used to be every other day boots with my HH Brown parade boots.

I try and treat my boots every month to four months if I use them regularly. If they are not used regularly they get drug out twice a year to be oiled. Keeps the leather from drying out.

Buying redwing boots, redwing has its own oils and creams and the web page has its recommendations. Go to the boots page you are looking to buy and click the &#8220;Care &#8211; protecting your investment&#8221; tab. If you need any help there are instruction videos on-line

If you buy the boots from a redwing store they will look you up in their system and take care of you. Treat/protect/oil them, new shoe laces free of charge. I don&#8217;t know if they will if you buy them from another source though.

Hope that helps

Johnny

Late In the game but I will jump in now. First of all by all means get the store to order in the boots you want in the size you may need. They should have offered that option to you in the first place.

Thanks for the input! No you're not too late to the game, I'm still in the thick of it. When I went in the store the first time, I made it kind of clear that I was just checking the boots out, that I wasn't really in the buying mode. When I went in the 2nd time and said I'd like to try on a different size, they were very accommodating and checked their computer to see if the size I was looking for was readily available at the factory because they didn't have it in stock.

As far as sizing goes, I'm guessing the 11.5 EE will be the answer. (I'm a 12 in everything I wear) I was told that these boots are roomy in the toe box but when I tried on 12 D, they seemed long and my heel was slipping slightly but I didn't lace them very tight so that may have been a factor. They felt pretty comfortable. I tried an 11.5 D and that was a no go because it pinched the top of my foot so severely, even stretching/breaking in wouldn't remedy it. I can't imagine going a half size smaller than that would work in a EE so I'm guessing the 11.5 EE may work. The store ordered it so I should be able to try it on some time this week.

If you buy the boots from a redwing store they will look you up in their system and take care of you. Treat/protect/oil them, new shoe laces free of charge. I don&#8217;t know if they will if you buy them from another source though.

It makes sense and I kind of suspected that you'd have to buy them at the store for that particular store to service them (free oil, laces, etc.) but I'm not sure either. Maybe they extend their services to brand support and not just specific store sales.

I would advocate the use of Obenauf's LP. I've only had my IR's for a few months now, but I have extensive experience with the stuff on leather bicycle seats. I won't go into the disgusting details, but needless to say, bicycle seats see their fair share of moisture, especially on long touring rides or endurance races. Among most of the leather seat using cyclists, Obenauf's is the way to go.

I would advocate the use of Obenauf's LP. I've only had my IR's for a few months now, but I have extensive experience with the stuff on leather bicycle seats. I won't go into the disgusting details, but needless to say, bicycle seats see their fair share of moisture, especially on long touring rides or endurance races. Among most of the leather seat using cyclists, Obenauf's is the way to go.

Don't use Obenaufs LP on your Iron Rangers. Please. Use Obenaufs boot oil instead. The LP is great, but should be reserved strictly for heavy duty work or hiking boots that you don't care about fashion wise. It really takes a lot of depth out of the leather which you don't want to do on a pair of boots you want to wear casually.

Last edited:
After originally posting this thread I did some reading on the various brands of boot oil or boot treatment. Since I wouldn't be wearing them in any way close to heavy duty use like a work/hunting/hiking boot, I wouldn't need anything real heavy duty. If, or more likely, when I get the Iron Rangers, I planned on treating them with Obenaufs boot oil and/or bringing them into the nearby Red Wing store for treatment.

Top Bottom