What's new

lifting weights at 61

Get in good protien, it builds and maintain muscle.

Big +1. Shoot for 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. But don't stress if you fall a little short of that. Aside from the muscle repair a development, all of the extra protein will keep you full throughout the day, as well as kick start your metabolism.

Cheers to you for having that kind of will! I'm one of those people who shake my fist a little harder at the world each year as the general population slows down a little and sits down more often! Not sure how well this will show up, but here's a cousin of mine that the news paper at work did some sort of small article on...
$20150325_035039.jpg

I am 6' 2' 200 lbs. Physically, I can't run or jump because of the knee replacements. Don't or can't squat all the way down. Other than that that's about it.[/QUOT

Go for it! i am 67 and lift weights 2-3x/week. It is good for maintaining bone and muscle mass.

+1. Always prudent. Most people could do more. I am 6ft 1in and weigh 165-170. The only way I maintain this weight is by going to the gym at least 4-5 x/week. YMMV but going to the gym regularly makes a difference IMO.

+1. Always prudent. Most people could do more. I am 6ft 1in and weigh 165-170. The only way I maintain this weight is by going to the gym at least 4-5 x/week. YMMV but going to the gym regularly makes a difference IMO.
Agreed, even A 20 min muscle work out can.

I live in Sarasota and work out at the local Y twice a week. I can assure you that at 61 you have plenty of years of lifting in you (assuming no medical limitations.) There are 80+ year olds here who work out regularly. I'm 59 and just started about a year ago. Getting a tour and basic instruction from one of the instructors was invaluable. If you have a local Y and decide to join I am sure one of the instructors can help you sort out a good routine to meet your goals. Since you have your own equipment this may not be appealing but I am guessing that they might be able to point you to a resource to use to plan out your routine.

Onward!

Last edited:
I'm still at it. Making some positive gains in size but my strength has gone up tremendously. With this extreme heat we have in the south, at the end of the day each workout is a challenge. But I hang in there. Don't want to think about giving up.

Hi Honeycutt,

While starting your weight training, don't neglect your cardio. It appears you are trying to add some mass, so perhaps you might consider some light intensity cardio a couple of times per week to work your heart muscle (this depends on your body type/metabolism).

As you spend a lot of time on the road, don't forget that you can weight lift without weights, and very effectively too. Variations of the basic push up will work chest, back, bicep/triceps, and shoulders. Also, push ups work all the stabilizer muscles, improving overall body strength. Three simple variations: the basic p/u, elevate the feet on a chair, and wall handstands. Legs can be a bit more restricted if you have knee trouble, but drop lunges, side lunges and deadlift walk can be easy on the knees (plus, the looks on peoples faces in the hotel when you're in the hallway doing deadlift walk at 6am is priceless).

Thanks Bob - Yea, I get plenty of looks carrying all my dumbbells and other stuff through the check-in desk and in the elevator.

Actually, I do want do want to get more size. I have plenty of flexibility. I'm 6' 2" with plenty of space for bulk. But, my goals are not only size and strength but lifting x amount on different exercises that have been a distance goal from my younger days.

Actually, I do want do want to get more size. I have plenty of flexibility. I'm 6' 2" with plenty of space for bulk. But, my goals are not only size and strength but lifting x amount on different exercises that have been a distance goal from my younger days.

Great to see folks in my 'age' group staying in shape. I wish you all the best

Hi Honeycutt,

While starting your weight training, don't neglect your cardio. It appears you are trying to add some mass, so perhaps you might consider some light intensity cardio a couple of times per week to work your heart muscle (this depends on your body type/metabolism).

As you spend a lot of time on the road, don't forget that you can weight lift without weights, and very effectively too. Variations of the basic push up will work chest, back, bicep/triceps, and shoulders. Also, push ups work all the stabilizer muscles, improving overall body strength. Three simple variations: the basic p/u, elevate the feet on a chair, and wall handstands. Legs can be a bit more restricted if you have knee trouble, but drop lunges, side lunges and deadlift walk can be easy on the knees (plus, the looks on peoples faces in the hotel when you're in the hallway doing deadlift walk at 6am is priceless).

+1. You need to do both weight training and cardio. Some do a bit of both every workout. I tend to alternate either weights or cardio on a given day. Either way you do need both. Keep us updated on how it is going.

Thanks BigJ. When it cools off I plan to do more cardio. But right now here in the south, I'm working in 100 plus degree heat everyday. Some days it's just too hot. I do good just to get a half-way weight workout in simply because I'm drained.

Thanks BigJ. When it cools off I plan to do more cardio. But right now here in the south, I'm working in 100 plus degree heat everyday. Some days it's just too hot. I do good just to get a half-way weight workout in simply because I'm drained.

Every workout counts IMO. It does not matter so much whether you accomplish everything you want or not. The main thing is to do something! :001_cool::001_cool:

Top Bottom