What's new

Terminally obnoxious advertising

For example, the Australian rugby team, which should be called 'The Australian Wallabies' is now officially called 'The Qantas Wallabies'.

Oh I so hope Tampax gets that sponsorship deal next time :001_smile

Like many other I solved the annoying advertising problem by stopping watching TV. Can't say I miss it either. I must admit the odd times I have seen it lately I have been amazed at just how much advertising there is.

Simon

The generic vehix.com comercials that play every 5 minutes on every station. I cant stand how they end it with "no wonder its a _____________ favorite" and just insert the nearest big city. For the longest time they had the wrong town, that wasnt even in the same state as me.

*flex* Yup, MythTV. Auto-skip commercials. I love it.

"We'll be back right after this commercial break!"
"Aaaand we're back!"
*blink* Huh?

It's a little overwhelming not having your shows stop actually, but it's very nice to shave about 20 minutes off a supposedly one hour episode. :biggrin:

The "head on" headache crap commercials are the worst followed quickly by
"free credit report dot com":mad:

+10 on the Head On commercials. Man, they are way too annoying.

However, I kind of like the Free Credit Report Dot Com commercials. Not that my credit is bad, it's actually very good. But I can totally relate to being a young guy in a crappy car trying to pick up hot chicks if a convertible mustang. OMG that was me in 1989!!!!

Then the one where the guys are in a Red Lobster or someplace singing. That totally hits me in the heart too! It's like "man, I have a crappy job, but I can still dream of something better!"

"Aaaand we're back!"
*blink* Huh?

It's a little overwhelming not having your shows stop actually, but it's very nice to shave about 20 minutes off a supposedly one hour episode. :biggrin:

Ah yes. The main reason I will build my next pc is to integrate the pvr functions. I already have Dish Networks' pvr and it is alright. They just want too much money to upgrade my current equipment. About $350. So I will build an HTPC using one of the Linux + Myth distributions. Oh, and the OS costs nothing. I'm serious lads. Once you get used to pausing live tv so you can answer a call or attend to the loo, not to mention the ease of time shifting, you will never want regular television again.

Regards, Todd

I pay the 10$ a month for my comcast PVR. Its completely worth it. Sure, I could go out and actually purchase equipment for a couple hundred dollars or even build a pc, but that sort of stuff eventually will need to be replaced, upgraded, etc. I'll stick with renting it. Its not my equipment, its not my problem. It does what it should and when I'm done with it or they come out with something new, I'll get that.

Head On, definitely.

When I first saw the thread title, though, I immediately thought "Hardee's." Those commercials make my skin crawl.

First off, I am apparently the exception to the "man" rule, by Hardee's standards. I do not require a fast food chain to make my food for me. I am not obsessed with cars, nor do I view women as nothing more than sex objects.

Second, the voice-over makes me want to chew glass. I can imagine the fellow with a big smirk on his face the whole time he says the lines.

Third, to repeat part of number one, I do not view women as mere sex objects, and the hotness of a woman has little relevance to how I enjoy my food within her proximity.

The worst is when you are watching a commercial, that doesn't have a clear message or target its market. It leaves you in a mass of confusion ... "What was that all about? :confused: :blink:

On the other hand...

There have been successful ad campaigns. When you have a runny nose, depending upon where you live, you may very well ask for a Kleenex. Kleenex is actually a brand name of facial tissues, usually 2 ply. <-- inserted for the benefit of our global members....

I always wished I was the guy who landed that account. What a crowning achievement, to have people ask for your product by it's brand name when all they wanted was a facial tissue. That's the type of advertising money can't buy.

To be honest, my guilty pleasure in life is to watch late-night infomercials. Those things are so rediculous, I can't help watching just to see what people are trying to hawk.

Man, do I love those comercials with that guy who sells all the cleaning products (Oxy Clean, that motorized handheld Auger, KaBoom!, the handheld steamer thing) I always wait to see what additions you can get, and how much the price is. I don't think he does full length infomercials any more.

But back to commercials I don't like. Any ED commercial, Flomax, or the worst:

"I have Gential Herpes."
"And I don't."

Damn. Is herpes that much of a problem in this country?

The worst is when you are watching a commercial, that doesn't have a clear message or target its market. It leaves you in a mass of confusion ... "What was that all about? :confused: :blink:

On the other hand...

There have been successful ad campaigns. When you have a runny nose, depending upon where you live, you may very well ask for a Kleenex. Kleenex is actually a brand name of facial tissues, usually 2 ply. <-- inserted for the benefit of our global members....

I always wished I was the guy who landed that account. What a crowning achievement, to have people ask for your product by it's brand name when all they wanted was a facial tissue. That's the type of advertising money can't buy.

It's also the type of advertising that may prevent you from getting money in the future. Examples include velcro and the zipper. They became such common names that the owners pretty much had to give up their trademark. Or at least that's the version of history I've heard. As with any fact on the internet, YMMV. :wink:

I help make commercials for a living. I used to work at a major ad agency and now I'm a partner in a small co. servicing the agencies. I routinely work w/ad folks, day in & day out. Not that there aren't a lot of nice people working for the agencies but if there's anyone who's truly developed a distaste for advertising, it's me.

The older I get, the less I want to watch TV. But for premium cable channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.) I hardly watch conventional TV anymore, mainly because I can't stand watching the ads. The ad business is an insidious thing; knowing what goes into making all of the ads kind of makes it worse.

Check out this clip. The guy who wrote & directed it makes commercials. The satire is dead on -- he absolutely nailed it. If you want to know what the ad biz is like, watch this clip. (NOTE: This is definitely NSFW. And if you're offended by profanity, well ... you should probably change the channel. :biggrin:)
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Go_VtqtxCHY[/YOUTUBE]

"Aaaand we're back!"
*blink* Huh?

Isn't that just the best? I built one about a year ago (using mythdora) and just love it when people come over and flip out over the lack of commercials. It does leave me a bit out of touch sometimes when the people at work are talking about the latest big movie, but I can live with it.

The other and even more detestable is A.G. Edwards. "IT'S MY MONEY AND I WANT IT NOW!" I would love to punch the asshat who came up with that one.

Couldn't agree more, except that its J.G. Edwards, not A.G. Edwards. :lol: The worst part is the poor editing on the ad that just has their spokesman so that after every jump he's looking from a different direction or turning from a different position. We made better videos in high school with a single camcorder and now editing.

Isn't that just the best? I built one about a year ago (using mythdora) and just love it when people come over and flip out over the lack of commercials. It does leave me a bit out of touch sometimes when the people at work are talking about the latest big movie, but I can live with it.

Well, I have a solution for that problem, Myth Apple Trailers. Granted, I haven't tested it with the most recent version, but you can set up a cron job to automatically download the latest trailers and you can watch them at your leisure.

Cool! I'm going to have to add that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Happy to help. It'll revolutionize the amount of time you waste watching movie trailers. :biggrin:

One important note though, it doesn't have the option to discriminate when downloading trailers; I ended up with some pretty strange horror movie trailers in the mix as a result.

Happy to help. It'll revolutionize the amount of time you waste watching movie trailers. :biggrin:

One important note though, it doesn't have the option to discriminate when downloading trailers; I ended up with some pretty strange horror movie trailers in the mix as a result.

I had a quick read on the install - looks pretty simple. I'll have a crack at it in the morning.

Top Bottom