What's new

The aroma of coffee- a chart

Interesting chart.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 100
This made me think of something. I'm working for a client right now who "hates" the smell of coffee.

What kind of deranged individual doesn't love the smell of coffee? I know people who don't drink it and still love the way it smells.

Woah! I wonder if it's possible or useful to roast and brew in such a way as to focus on certain compounds?
There is. I can't do it with the gear I own, but professional roasters develop profiles that enable them to accentuate certain traits while minimizing others. I think you can also do much the same in brewing as part of the extraction process.

This made me think of something. I'm working for a client right now who "hates" the smell of coffee.

What kind of deranged individual doesn't love the smell of coffee? I know people who don't drink it and still love the way it smells.
I am with you on that comment. But I wonder if the deranged individual has only had sour or bitter coffee, so that when they smell coffee they associate it with those flavors, instead of the sweet/bright/good flavors which coffee can have.

When my wife was pregnant. Made her retch. She got back to drinking it soon after though.

Smell is an odd sense. I've read we attach past experiences to our senses, in particular, smell. Every time I smell roasting coffee I'm taken back to a street in Catania, walking with my parents, wondering what that wonderful smell was. It wasn't till much later I discovered it was the smell of roasting coffee beans.

Maybe your client had a bad experience instead of a good one?

-jim

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
When my wife was pregnant. Made her retch. She got back to drinking it soon after though.

Smell is an odd sense. I've read we attach past experiences to our senses, in particular, smell. Every time I smell roasting coffee I'm taken back to a street in Catania, walking with my parents, wondering what that wonderful smell was. It wasn't till much later I discovered it was the smell of roasting coffee beans.

Maybe your client had a bad experience instead of a good one?

-jim

Baking bread always reminds me of my mother.

Some folks just can't abide the smell of 3-mercapto 3-ethylbutylformate in the morning.

Top Bottom