What's new

What are Your Top Five Noodler's Inks ?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I started out with Noodler's Bullet Proof Black and have added B&B Five O'clock Shadow, Black Swan with Australian Roses, and Antetiam. I have just ordered Golden Brown and Sequoia. All the ones I have on hand have been very consistent. So what are your faves?

Last edited:
I currently have my TWSBI inked up with Bernanke Blue and have also have on hand Bernanke Black. Verdict is still out. The shading on the blue is not bad, though wish it was a touch deeper.

I picked up 5 O'Clock Shadow from WCS and I put in an order for the five below on the recent Massdrop that I posted in the shopping forum.

Color - Bottle #1: Black
Color - Bottle #2: * Summer Tanager
Color - Bottle #3: Ottoman Rose
Color - Bottle #4: * Burgundy
Color - Bottle #5: Antietam

In no particular order:
* Black Swan in Australian Roses (old formula)
* Black (AKA Bulletproof Black)
* Bad Belted Kingfisher
* Ottoman Azure
* Navy

Also tried and appreciated: Golden Brown, Five O'Clock Shadow, Kiowa Pecan, Liberty's Elysium

Don't like: Apache Sunset

Most Noodler's inks have either given me trouble (e.g La Reine Mauve) or just been unexceptionally adequate (Bad Blue Heron). I couldn't come up with a top five list, although I can think, offhand, of well over five that I've tried. Why did I get so many?

But they do make Bad Green Gator, which is a first rate water resistant green. And Noodler's Fox is my go to red for markup of documents. I keep it in a refilled disposable Pilot Varsity, though, not trusting it in a better pen.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
In no particular order

Liberty's Elysium
Manhattan Blue
Bad Belted Kingfisher
Starry Night
Old Manhattan Black

Honorable mention Baystate Blue

I forgot I also picked up two used Texas special inks that Noodler's made for Dromgoole's in Houston. They are Texas Blue Bonnet and Texas Pecan. I received them this week, but I have too many pens inked up at the moment to get to them!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
"Black" has got to be on the list, as well as Kung Te-cheng. Of the two "B&B" inks, I much prefer Benevolent Badger Blue (although 5 O'clock Shadow is good too.)

I like the Polar inks, but that's because I like/need to leave a pen in my truck, including throughout Canadian winters.

I dunno how I'd round out the list, although North African Violet is nice.

I have a few of the less-liked inks as my favorites

BayState Blue - I have a Pilot Metropolitan dedicated to this ink and the sac hasn't melted yet, but everyone tells me it will.
La Reine Mauve - This ink gets such a bad rap but I just love it. A little nib creep but it has never given me any issues
Blue Eel
Bad Blue Heron
Q'Ternity

Anyone think I am a fan of blue inks?

Thus far I have few Noodler's inks. However, Walnut is one of my favorites, and I'm having fun playing with Blue Ghost. I'm testing Fox and Hunter and have an order for Borealis Black set to go.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have only four: HoD, which is my favorite black ink, the two B&B colors and Baystate Blue - superb blue, but it ate my Lamy Safari, so not much more use of this one.

No particular order...

Baystate Blue: an amazing, retina searing blue
Air Corp Blue Black: not a blue black but a great shade of blue green
Zhivago: my new job required black ink; this is basically a black with a hint of green
54th Massachusetts: a great dark blue, it's the closest I've come to finding a replacement for MB Midnight Blue in my rotation
Lexington Gray: all the graphite color without any smudging on this lefty's hand

Darrin

For me thus far it's been Cayenne, Habanero, Black Swans in Australian Roses (original formula), Black Swans in English Roses, and Mandalay Maroon.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
How does the current Black Swan in Australian Roses differ from the "old /original" formula?

How does the current Black Swan in Australian Roses differ from the "old /original" formula?

From Brian Goulet's Blog post about the color change:
proxy.php

I have the 2 B&B inks 5O'S and BBB. I prefer the 5O'S, but Ouchette did a great job with the artwork for BBB. I also have a sample of Burma Road Brown. If you like brown it is brown.

Top Bottom