What's new

Different Red Tip Handles?

I was cleaning up a couple Red Tips that recently arrived with a bunch of other razors when I noticed there was a stark difference in the two handles.

The one on the left is a B3 1956 third quarter. It shows a partial knurl and partial smooth band between the red knob and ring groove. Above the ring groove the first knurled band is thin.

The one on the right is a E1 1959 first quarter. It shows a full smooth band between the red tip and ring groove and a much wider knurled band above the ring groove.

The ring groove on the 59’ is a little narrower than the ring groove on the 56’

The rest of the handles on both are the same up through the neck portion until the top ring. The top ring on the 56' has a rounded face cut and the 59' has a flat face cut.

One last point of interest, the 56' appears to have much larger hinge pins than the pins on the 59'

I just looked at my Mint A3 in the display case and my B4 that I use and they are both the same as the B3.

Has anyone ever noticed this and are there other variations of the Red Tip handles other than the English Red Tips?

Looking at the pictures now, I think I should have finished cleaning before I took pictures… :blushing:
proxy.php

proxy.php

I suspect the change came with the C4/D1 switch from high band to low band. (It's easier to notice in the regular SSs.)

Good eye!

Me

I suspect the change came with the C4/D1 switch from high band to low band. (It's easier to notice in the regular SSs.)

Good eye!

Me

I'll hae to go look at my regular SS's now to. I have seen the none, one or two ring groove in the flare.

Good eye on those razors. The only thing I have really looked for is an old blade still hiding in the slot:eek:

When I opened this thread I had a feeling Chris (MTGrayling) might offer some sage advice.:wink:

Someone posted a thread on the differences between SS handle patterns. There is a variety of subtle differences - so if you are a collector of the SS you will go nuts trying to collect them all.

See:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=44207

This is true. :lol:

Good eye on those razors. The only thing I have really looked for is an old blade still hiding in the slot:eek:

When I opened this thread I had a feeling Chris (MTGrayling) might offer some sage advice.:wink:

I hope I helped. :biggrin:

Top Bottom