What's new

Wolfman WR1-OC

Okay, I couldn't wait any more. I just ordered one. Any idea on what the wait time is?

Did you actually order one or just get added to the waiting list by emailing James? They've shown as sold out for some number of weeks now. James had indicated in his reply to me (I inquired a few weeks ago) that it would be sometime in April for availability. If you were able to order one I'm envious!

The ATT M1 is not analogous to the AS-D2, the razor aggression ranking on the Wiki scores the AS-D2 1.5 whereas the ATT M1 is a 4.0. I've not tried the AS-D2 myself but I do own an M1 and it's pretty close to the Weber.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Modern_Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness

I'm on the waiting list for a Wolfman OC, I'm really looking forward to it! I would also add that James has been a pleasure to deal with and very helpful in answering my questions.

Fair enough to some degree. I was also considering other B&B member's individual opinions (which is pretty much why I stated the " Ya gotta try it to..." pseudo disclaimer, when I wrote my last post. I am not familiar with the Weber and was hoping more members could weigh in on the Wolf's SB head in relation to the other heads I have experience with.

I am almost certain I have read somewhere here where 1 or more members have compared the efficiency of the Feather AS-D2 and the M1 as very close, i.e. too mild for them. Again, it's most likely going to be........... Ya gotta try it to........

Peace!

Last edited:
Did you actually order one or just get added to the waiting list by emailing James? They've shown as sold out for some number of weeks now. James had indicated in his reply to me (I inquired a few weeks ago) that it would be sometime in April for availability. If you were able to order one I'm envious!

No, no... Just e mailed and got on the list. So a couple month wait probably?

I can't comment on the quality of Wolfman because I'm in the boat waiting for one as well, but I can attest to being patient and waiting for quality products. I've waited much longer than 6 months for custom made leather holsters and such, in the end it's all worth it when the product is top notch, which I expect the WR1 will be.

I suspect he is busy cranking out orders and the demand may have been greater than he expected. Plus, I would assume he is also still manufacturing the BBS-1. Double duty! Not to mention customer service, etc................

Waiting it will be........

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've only shaved with mine once, but it's queued up for the next shave (tonight or tomorrow morning). I couldn't be much happier with this razor than I am! It's truly well made. I just need to get better at dealing with the large, heavy handle, but I was getting the hang of it by the end of the first shave.

Most certainly, James is top notch, both as a craftsman, a professional, and a gentleman.

(Full review - copied from first post)

Wolfman WR1-OC review:

Early this week I took delivery of a Wolfman WR1-OC razor with WRH3 handle. This review will discuss and compare, the WR1 Open Comb razor to my Merkur 39C and Edwin Jagger 3D.

Build Quality

The craftsmanship and finish on this razor is stellar. When assembled, it feels like a one piece razor, not a 3 pc razor - the build tolerances are that precise. The 316L stainless steel built razor exudes quality, and looks and feels amazing. Blade loading and alignment are perfect with zero adjustment required (an area where I sometime struggled with my 39C). The balance is also excellent. I prefer heavy razors, and while my 39C is a few grams heavier that the WR1-OC, I like the balance of the WR1-OC better. My 39C has a more even balance, where the WR1 is more head light. This improves maneuverability while still being a heavy razor. The shave head is low profile, and the smallest overall size of my three razors.

The WRH3 handle is the most modern looking option from Wolfman, with the least diamond grip or knurling. Despite this, I had no problems gripping the handle with wet lathery hands. It fits my hand perfectly, and the grip pattern (about 1 inch below the head) is just perfect for me. I love the "lightsaber-esq" modern look of the WRH3 - top marks here.

Shaving

The razor is very efficient. Limited pressure is required to attain a close shave. I have four shaves on the razor, and each have been BBS. The open comb design allows some soap/cream to remain on the skin during shaving. I hadn't experienced this before as my other two razors are SB's, but I like how the OC allows lather to remain - for me it helps comfort and closeness. The open comb also works really well on my neck, where I go WTG and XTG (X2). I did nick my mole on second use, but I was still figuring the razor out. Shaves 3 and 4 have been excellent with no issues or weepers. With this razor, I can achieve a DFS on a single pass, and BBS with two passes and touch ups. The razor offers muted feedback during shaving. Not as audible as my EJ, but you can feel it cutting.

In terms of comfort, it sits between my EJ 3D and 39C. The EJ is still the mildest, but I need to work it to get a BBS. Perhaps the additional comfort I feel from the WR1 (over the 39C) comes from being OC?

In terms of efficiency, the WR1 shaves closer than my 39C, especially in the neck area where I do not go ATG. It offers better post shave feel in terms of smoothness and comfort (again, the open comb?). The smaller streamlined head of the WR1 helps me shave those hard to reach places easier than with the 39C. I also prefer the WR1 when shaving my jawline and chin. It just comes "around the bend" easier than my 39C does. The WR1 OC, with its low profile head shape profile means less steel on the face, and a much more efficient glide than my 39C. The WR1 pairs well with my GSB, and the ATG passes on my cheek, chin and jawline are very smooth with no tugging or irritability (the OC at work?). The WR1 and 39C are about par regarding "user friendliness".

Summary

It is evident this razor was built with passion and discipline. In fact, it's overbuilt and will last forever with normal care. The look and design have generated multiple compliments from friends and family. Even my wife asked "why did you even bother with the other two razors"?

James was a pleasure to deal with - professional and prompt despite the heavy workload of producing WR1 and BBS-1 razors in his one man shop. This razor was well worth waiting for. If you choose to purchase a razor from Wolfman Razors, you will not be disappointed.

Sounds like a beauty. Great write up/evaluation.

Anyone able to share some pics of your razors? These things are objects of beauty in addition to being fine shaving tools!

As requested, here is another shot of the razor and related gear.

$FullSizeRender.jpg

Top Bottom