What's new

anyone use the soaps from the art of shaving chain?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I have one of their older tallow Lemon, which seems like a VERY nice soap.. I say "seems" as I have only used it once or twice thius far while I work through other soaps'n'creams. I have not tried any of their now-not-so-new reformulation.

I was gifted a puck of their lavender soap.. have not had a chance to try it yet

you will like it, congrats!

$image.jpg

I was gifted a puck of their lavender soap.. have not had a chance to try it yet

I have the lavender soap that I got for Christmas two years ago. Of all of the soaps that I have it's probably the hardest to lather well. Mine is the newer, non-tallow formulation and I tend to like tallow soaps, so that may be part of the issue. The scent is very nice!

strop

Now half as wise
I have the lavender soap that I got for Christmas two years ago. Of all of the soaps that I have it's probably the hardest to lather well. Mine is the newer, non-tallow formulation and I tend to like tallow soaps, so that may be part of the issue. The scent is very nice!

Like most hard soaps, it benefits from the hydration achieved with daily use. It will lather much easier after a week or ten days. I've not used the lavendar, but I'm sure it is not much different than the Sandalwood.

I'm using the old tallow formula right now and it's one of the best soaps I've used. It's easy to lather, smells great, has great slickness and protection for the shave. I don't know if I would pay full price for it though.

The lavender, sandalwood, and lemon old formula are in my rotation. All are excellent. However, I have not tried the new formula yet.

I love the lavender scent, but I found the performance to be middle of the road. It's not bad I just have other soaps that much better

I have used the "new" formulation soaps. It wasn't terrible, but there are much better soaps for less money. I have never used the tallow version so I can't comment on that. I really like there creams though

There is a store near my office, and stopped in today. I looked at their soap and couldn't believe they wanted $50 for a soap in a bowl. Is it worth that much?

I was gifted a puck of the sandalwood (new, non-tallow formula) for Christmas. The scent and slickness are great. I initially found it hard to lather (though this was right when I started DE shaving), but now just soften the soap with a few drops of warm water while I shower, and it builds fairly easily. Probably my favorite of the 6 soaps/creams that I have.

I'd find it very hard to justify the full price despite how much I like the soap.

I like the new formula. I like it a lot better when I can get it on sale.

I agree with chris100 - I like it, it performs well, the tallow is better, but only worth it to me when I can get it 30% off ($22-24). The bowl price is ridiculous!

I've have a puck of sandalwood, tallow and sandalwood cream. If fact, I used the cream tonight, forgot how well it performed. Great scent and very slick. Tonight's shave was fantastic: ATT M1 with Kronos, AOS cream, feather blade, Proraso AS and AOS sandalwood balm.

Is it worth that much?
Worth is always highly subjective regardless of topic. Others can't tell you what is or isn't worth it to you. It's up to you to determine. I wouldn't pay $50 for AoS. However, I'm fine with paying the cost for acquiring MDC. YMMV on both. Trying an option is the best way to find out though many have a $ limit they're just not willing to exceed.

Last edited:
I'm using the old tallow formula right now and it's one of the best soaps I've used. It's easy to lather, smells great, has great slickness and protection for the shave. I don't know if I would pay full price for it though.
Probably my favorite soap.

Worth is always highly subjective regardless of topic. Others can't tell you what is or isn't worth it to you. It's up to you to determine. I wouldn't pay $50 for AoS. However, I'm fine with paying the cost for acquiring MDC. YMMV on both. Trying an option is the best way to find out though many have a $ limit they're just not willing to exceed.

Very true. I'm probably just not willing to spend that much on a soap. Just seems expensive. I guess maybe I feel that way because the shop gives off a vibe of pretentiousness. If they ever have a sale, I might try one if they mark them down to a reasonable price.

I bought 3 pucks of the tallow Sandalwood. I gotta say I love this stuff. The performance is great and the scent is fantastic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom