What's new

What kind of stem do you prefer?

What is your favorite stem style?

• Saddle

• Tapered

• Combination

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have to say that I am a fan of saddle stems or a combination between the two. Since I am a clincher I find that the saddle is more comfortable. It feels as if I can't get a good grip on the tapered bits as the thickness varies.

I wonder if there is some correlation with clenches preferring saddle bits.

proxy.php

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Damn. I really should read before I start clicking on stuff. I voted for saddle, and I meant to vote for tapered. So those poll results are now a bit off.

Anyway, I tend to prefer tapered stems. I know that some clenchers don't like them because the taper makes it feel like the pipe is going to shoot out of your mouth, but for me, that's what makes them great. That tendency of the pipe to move outward locks the button up against your teeth, and it doesn't go anywhere. I don't mind saddle bits, but I've run into one or two that felt a little squirrely in the mouth if you didn't get them placed exactly right. It's like they're hinged; if you turn your head, they swing freely. To be fair, I also have a few that don't have that problem. I also think tapered stems look better.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I think saddle- I cannot picture a tapered for some reason. I am primarily a clincher, too, and like them bent.

I see what you mean Owen. I guess technically they're both tapered but the saddle has an abrupt taper and more or less has the same thickness all the way to the button. While the traditional tapered stem has one single flowing line.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I see what you mean Owen. I guess technically they're both tapered but the saddle has an abrupt taper and more or less has the same thickness all the way to the button. While the traditional tapered stem has one single flowing line.
Oh, in that case I like either. To me, the button is the important part.

I prefer the saddle/combo option more times than not, but if a taper is a very slim taper, that's fine as well. It all comes to how thick the part of the stem I'm clenching is, over all (on pipes I clench). I have some that I won't/can't clench since the stem is just too thick to be comfy as a clencher.

I find that I prefer the look of tapered on most pipes. I only clench with my MM cobs, and I always use the soft bits.

Interesting to see that the saddle seems to be the most popular. I need noticed myself until I was talking to K's Pipes and he said "お前はサドルが好きだよね”. And I realized that most of my pipes have saddle bits.

It's just something that I've been paying more attention to. I feel the button work/stem work is so important and can be a useful measuring stick of a carver's work. Despite it being neglected more often than not.

Top Bottom