What's new

The Boxing Thread

Canelo vs Khan is terrible fight. And at a catch weight? #teamdisappointed

I think it is a good fight for Kahn because he has nothing to loose. A big payday and the chance of winning. Alvarez needs to bring the hammer down on his managers or himself . As long as he refuses to fight at 160 I will never consider him as the middleweight champion . For now he is the 155# champ but GGG is THE Middleweight Champion.
Alvarez is about to join the Garcia, Santa Cruz club by avoiding the top contenders. I don't know if it is their managers or the fighters themselves, but the fighters are the ones that will pay the price.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
One of my favorite fights- Kostya Tszyu vs Zab Judah.

At the 8:20 mark, Judah takes a trip to what my dad used to call queer street, followed by classic mayhem.

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

1983 fight of the year- Bobby Chacon vs Cornelius Boza-Edwards. I remember it as if it were yesterday.

@Nick Styptic - do you really think Khan has a shot at beating Canelo?

Dr.
There is no way I would bet on Kahn to win . He has better feet and better overall skills than Alvarez , but size and power will bring him down probably before the end of round 6.
Alvarez has absolutely no footwork compared to Kahn but Kahn has been ko'd twice by big punchers (Garcia being one of them).
I remember Kirkland when he was the Kirkland everyone thought would get to the top and stay there. He was a devestating puncher but proved he had a glass jaw. Alvarez took some shots from Kirkland but handeled them well. I think Alvarez will wade right through Kahns shots and land the big bombs to finish the fight early.
Both Froch and Fury seem to think Kahn can win. (See the prior posts on thus thread.) I don't know if this is wishful thinking or cold hard analysis.
FWIW I will never consider Alverez the middle weight champion as long as he refuses to fight at the middleweight limit,
GGG is the real Middle Weight Champion .

BTW Ann Arbor used to have two great resturants The Wiffle Tree and The Campus Inn. Are they still up and running or have they gone by the wayside ?

Nick

Last edited:
One of my favorite fights- Kostya Tszyu vs Zab Judah.

At the 8:20 mark, Judah takes a trip to what my dad used to call queer street, followed by classic mayhem.

I remember watching that one and knew when he "pushed" Nady with his glove he was in big trouble. If I remember correctly that cost Juda a year of his prime.

1983 fight of the year- Bobby Chacon vs Cornelius Boza-Edwards. I remember it as if it were yesterday.

Ouch
I also remember that fight . It was one of those that after it was over I felt like I had been in a fight myself. All action , multiple knockdowns , non stop bell to bell.
Nick

[MENTION=94109]Nick Styptic[/MENTION] - I agree that Khan has fast hands and fast feet, but I don't think either (or both) will make up for his glass jaw. With Canelo coming into the ring at 170-175 on fight night, it's only a matter of time until Khan tastes canvas.

GGG is the true champ. I hope the governing bodies strip Canelo if he doesn't start fighting at full weight.

That Judah vs Tszyu fight was great. That there is what we call "funny walkin" . Zab never recovered from that if you ask me.

Juda did look like the "King of the Disco" in that one. Funny walkin,Crazy legs, Black lights. He may have experienced them all.
As far as Alvarez is concerned , as long as he continues this 155# nonsense he won't see a penny of PPV money from me.
If everyone sees it this way they will get the message. If you will not sign middleweight contracts then don't call yourself one.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. I think Andre Ward has lost his desire as a professional prize fighter.
He as not fought any top competition since Carl Froch five years ago.

What are your thoughts?

ouch

I just wanted to note that I have friends who have no interest in joining our site that read this thread every day. Great job.

I just wanted to note that I have friends who have no interest in joining our site that read this thread every day. Great job.

Thanks for your comment .
I was glad to see your posts about Chacon and Judah. You took me down memory lane.
This thread is not just my thread but for all real boxing fans that enjoy a good boxing match .
I hope all fans feel free to post thoughts , opinions , and interesting articles on the sweet science.
As far as the non members , they are always welcome. Hopefully they will roam around some of the other shave threads on B&B and give real shaving a try. You and I both know they don't know what they are missing !

ouch

That is such a strange story.

Tonight 11:00 EST Fox Sports 1 (FS1)

Read about Jamel Herring the young Marine that went straight to Falluja Iraq to the fiercest fighting in recent military history. Read about his expierience in Faluja and his improbable rise to qualify for the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team.
Lets get behind this young man and pull for his victory in his TV debut tonight. Spread the word to others on this site (and everywhere you can). He has earned our support.
FS1 (219 Direct TV. I don't know the channel #s for other cable providers) Tonight 11:00 EST.
Thanks
Nick

Mint program from 38 years ago today, when Leon Spinks upset Muhammad Ali to win heavyweight title.

proxy.php

OK gents , It's pick time for us on The Boxing Thread . One big fight and one interesting fight.

Frampton vs Quigg : Frampton - 175 ; Quigg + 150 on the money line.

I think Quigg won the head to head interview and weigh in by getting into Framptons head slightly (for what ever that's worth). Quigg on the other hand looked weight drained and tight at the weigh in.
I am taking Quigg +150 by points (despite Framptons faster hands) or KO because of his mid to late round pressure.

Crawford vs Lundy : Money Llne Crawford - 2500 Lundy + 1000 .

This fight could be more interesting than some think.Crawford is a slow starter that takes his time to figure a fighter out.
He sometimes has trouble up through the first half of the fight (Gamboa). That will be the interesting part if Lundy lands one or two big power shots . I think Crawford will weather the storm and beat Lundy probably on points. Many sports books are giving much heavier odds on Crawford to win.

Get in the game, post your picks on these or any fights today, and enjoy the fights . Its going to be a big day of boxing !

Nick

Frampton/Quigg was a disapointment.
I picked Quigg to win but he did not show up till the 7th. I sored it 117-111 Frampton. Wider than the judges because in the first 6 Frampton at least tried to make the fight. The judge that scored 115-113 Quigg should have his ticket pulled.
Next stop will be Santa Cruz or Rigendeaux. Quigg has alot of rebuilding to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom