What's new

The Boxing Thread

Yep, I guess Vlad's age has finally caught up with him. It looked like he was about a half second away from pulling the trigger the whole fight. Honestly, I hope there's not going to be a rematch. It was very one sided and I don't expect a rematch to be much different. I'd like to see the young heavyweights battle for the title now and make that division exciting again.

I would like to join the "Crow Eaters".
I thought Kiltch would jab Fury until he got frustrated,Fury would sell out his defense and get nailed by Klitchkos power on the way in. If they fight a rematch it will have only minor interest. A change at the top of the Heavyweights is not a bad thing in my opinion.
With my picks of Cotto and Klitchko I am 0 for 2 this month . Thats what makes boxing interesting. Anything can happen.

With Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder rising , what fights would you guys like to see coming up that will charge up the Heavyweight division ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone watch that DeGale vs. Bute fight? Now that was a very entertaining fight. Both guys fought bell to bell and didn't take a second off through the whole twelve rounds.

Nick, Mcbaldy, what in the world did Wladimir Klitchko put in his gloves Saturday night? Whatever it was it must have been heavy because he didn't let his patented jabs fly all night.

Seriously, he looked liked a lost rookie out there. I have never seen him look tentative. We had a freebie weekend of HBO and I was kind of giddy to get to see one of the better heavyweights of the last generation lace them up once more. What a snoozer.

I still had the feeling, even til thed end, that if Wlad would have just let fly he would creamed the guy. No disrespect meant to Fury but he'd better hope the same fighter shows up on the other side of the ring in a rematch.

Wladimir was in top shape too. He was really cut from the training and never really looked fatigued to me. I don't know. I guess it's why other than Foreman you don't see 40 and50 year old champs too often. I just want the guy to leave on a high note.

Nick, Mcbaldy, what in the world did Wladimir Klitchko put in his gloves Saturday night? Whatever it was it must have been heavy because he didn't let his patented jabs fly all night.

Seriously, he looked liked a lost rookie out there. I have never seen him look tentative. We had a freebie weekend of HBO and I was kind of giddy to get to see one of the better heavyweights of the last generation lace them up once more. What a snoozer.

I still had the feeling, even til thed end, that if Wlad would have just let fly he would creamed the guy. No disrespect meant to Fury but he'd better hope the same fighter shows up on the other side of the ring in a rematch.

Wladimir was in top shape too. He was really cut from the training and never really looked fatigued to me. I don't know. I guess it's why other than Foreman you don't see 40 and50 year old champs too often. I just want the guy to leave on a high note.

Vlad's corner should also have made it clear to him that Fury was stealing rounds. I couldn't tell what Vitali was saying to him, but his trainer only started trying to ignite a sense of urgency at around the tenth round, and by then it was too late. It had to be KO or lose at that point and that's not Vlad's game. I think the last 10 years with very little competition left that camp a little complacent.

Phog. As the saying goes "father time is undefeated". This may be the case with Klitchko.This question wil be answered for sure at the rematch.
A week prior to the fight I thought Kiltchko would win based on expierience and skills.A few days prior I wasn't so sure.After watching the weigh in I was pretty sure Klitchko would win. Fury came in way light based on his history and looked a bit flabby around the waist( if that's possible ).
I watched as everyone else did, the herky jerky of Fury and waited for Klitchko to stop it quick with an overhand right. It never showed up.
Fighters have said there comes a time when you just don't have it anymore (Oscar De La Hoya and Brandon Rios). After all they have put themselves through I can understand that. This may be the case with Klitchko. Time and the rematch will tell,

Nick, Micbaldy, thank you for the replies. It certainly was an odd fight. Mic, I agree about the corner work. Lackadaisical is the word I was thinking of. Vitali should have been threatening to place a boot in Wald ' s keister at the halfway point. The whole group just didn't look right all evening.

Nick, your words ring true. All those 'old' guys like Walcott, Louis, and to some extent Foreman, pushed themselves past the brink. I only give Foreman the benefit of the doubt because A; he took a lot of years off from the sport and was not dealing with the physical breakdown of ten or fifteen straight years of training and fightinng. And B; the guy was a physical freak.

He may not have been cut like a classic lean boxer but his size coupled with a ridiculous reach for height made his jab over half his defence. You just couldn't hit the guy square unless he stood toe to toe with a faster opponent. A lesson he learned the hard way with Holyfield. And even then he was about two inches away from landing a straight right in the early rounds of their epic that would have put Evander to sleep for a few minutes. His power shots were deadly. Yeah, the guy was freaky.

I feel the same way about Klitchko. I keep forgetting the guy is near 40, six and a half feet tall, and cut like a 25 year old. He can still bloody well move around that ring and not look worn out in six rounds. His size and speed always amazed me for such a huge guy. He might have hit the wall and simply didn't realise til crunch time. It may be even more mental than physical. I would rather see him go out with his pride than to stay too long. I wonder what will happen in the heavyweight division when he's gone?

I don't see Canelo having a chance. Perhaps utilizing the 160 max and blowing up a bit might put a little more snap to his punches but I just don't think he has the skills. I think Lemieux has the hardest punch in that division and GGG handled it

I don't see Canelo having a chance. Perhaps utilizing the 160 max and blowing up a bit might put a little more snap to his punches but I just don't think he has the skills. I think Lemieux has the hardest punch in that division and GGG handled it

I don"t see Canello getting by GGG either. That's probably why Canello is insisting on a 155# catch weight.
This will be character check time for the WBC . If Canello refuses 160 than they should strip him and declare the title vacant.
Canello is already taking serious heat on Twitter and other social media sites.

I didn't like Quillin forever. Ducked GGG etc. his fight with Lee though was pretty spirited. That was a great fight. I think he outclasses Jacobs but I'm prepared to eat even more "crow."

I don't think Canelo can handle GGG at any weight.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Canello use voluntary defenses, catch weight demands and other stalling tactics for at least another year. At that point GGG will have to defeat him twice (rematch clause) to move on.
I think GGG will have to accept 155 unless the WBC shows some courage and demands that Canello defend at 160 or be stripped.

I didn't like Quillin forever. Ducked GGG etc. his fight with Lee though was pretty spirited. That was a great fight. I think he outclasses Jacobs but I'm prepared to eat even more "crow."

My pick is also Quillen by points or KO. We may have to reconvene "The Crow Eaters Club" after the fight.

I'm truly sick of Khan's mouth. Let's see some actual action. No way he avenges his loss with Garcia who is up at 147 now and I think Thurman puts him to sleep. Brook, Spence etc. Move back down and try your hand at Broner

Top Bottom