What's new

The Boxing Thread

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Ouch Thanks for the kind words. I am sure your father has seen live many of the matches I have seen ( and heard on the radio when I became a fan in 1960 after hearing the Patterson/Johannsen Heavyweight championship.)
Boxing is enjoying a rennisance after being taken away from the mainstream audience and put on cable and PPV. There is more boxing on network TV than ever before. It's fun to watch the youngsters rise up and take their shot at the big time !

My dad saw both Louis-Schmeling fights.

Last Weekend had Deontay Wilder taking on Eric Molina in Wilders first title defence. It was supposed to be a roll over fight that ended in two or three rounds. Diddn't happen. Molina hung tough for nine rounds and visibily hurt Wilder in the fourth.I saw Wilders knees buckle twice.Wilder finally got him out of there in the ninth after a valiant effort by Molina who got a solid round of aplause from the fans in Birmingham.
Wilder showed weak defence by pulling straight back from the clinches with hands down and no head movement. He was hit hard several times by Molina and showed a suspect chin.These things need to be corrected by Wilder in a hurry considering that Tyson Fury,Alexander Povetkin, and Klitchko are all waiting in the wings. Bryant Jennings may have been able to put Wilder on the canvas had he been in the ring last Saturday night.
Wilder did defend his title but Erick Molina came out of this fight a winner also.

He has me beat. I was not born then.
I get disgusted when I hear Frasier Ali referred to as the fight of the century (and I'll bet Ali does too).
There was only one fight of the century and that was when Louis knocked out Schmeling on the eve of WWII. That's it,there is no other.

Last edited:
Sean Porter vs Adrian Broner Saturday night 8:30 NBC.
Both have been defeated once Porter by Kell Brook Broner by Marcos Maidanna.
The Las Vegas moneyline has Porter a slight favorite with movement toward Broner.
This one could easily be decided by footwork and ring generalship. If Broner stays outside with stick and move tactics, he wins; if Porter gets inside and uses power , he wins.
This should be a close exciting fight with Porter being the inside power puncher and Broner being the outside boxer.
This one will be worth watching.

My dad saw both Louis-Schmeling fights.
He has me beat. I was not born then.
I get disgusted when I hear Frasier Ali referred to as the fight of the century (and I'll bet Ali does too).
There was only one fight of the century and that was when Louis knocked out Schmeling on the eve of WWII. That's it,there is no other.

Saturday night Fox Sports 1. David Lemieux vs Hassan N'Damfor Jermain Taylors vacated Middleweight title.
Lemieux (-200) N'Dam (+170). This one should be all action.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Champs", the documentary is on Netflix.

Chronicles the lives of Bernard Hopkins, Evander Holyfield and Tyson. What a great documentary that was.

Broner looked like crap,even with the knock down.In defeat all he could do was brag,this guy has no class.I also think the announcers were off the mark about referees not wanting to take points in a championship bout.Weeks,the referee should have deducted at least 4 points from Broner who committed foul after foul,and flagrantly.Porter looks good and has class,I hope he sticks around.

Broner looked like crap,even with the knock down.In defeat all he could do was brag,this guy has no class.I also think the announcers were off the mark about referees not wanting to take points in a championship bout.Weeks,the referee should have deducted at least 4 points from Broner who committed foul after foul,and flagrantly.Porter looks good and has class,I hope he sticks around.

I agree . The only thing Broner can do at this level is shoot his mouth off and take a punch.He is the most obnoxious fighter in the game today. The only disapointment was that he was not knocked out by Porter. He probably would have been had it not been for the disgraceful performance by referee Tony Weeks.Weeks lost controll of the fight early by allowing Broners excessive holding and fighting "not to loose". In the mid rounds Weeks never called Broner for use of the forearm or pushing to the face.The ref before him Robert Byrd would have never allowed this. Porter fought on against both Broner and Weeks to earn an obvious victory . Even though he did not get the KO he sure took Broner to the woodshed. Weeks needs to be called in to the comission to account for his poor performance.

Steps are being considered to help eliminate the sometimes inconsistant and bad judging in boxing matches.
Video monitors for judges . Pod index which evaluates (grades ) judges consistancy. Instant replay to help in deciding if knockdowms were caused by a legitamite punch or by a fighter stepping on anothers foot ; or whether a cut was caused by a punch or a head butt.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

He was KO'd so severely that they needed Schmeling salts to eventually revive him.

Saturday night Tim Bradley vs Jessee Vargas ( trained by Eric "El Terrible" Morales) on HBO.
Vargas has his WBA Belt on the line and both fighters seem fired up for a shootout.
Current moneyline Bradley -420 ; Vargas + 335.

Steps are being considered to help eliminate the sometimes inconsistant and bad judging in boxing matches.
Video monitors for judges . Pod index which evaluates (grades ) judges consistancy. Instant replay to help in deciding if knockdowms were caused by a legitamite punch or by a fighter stepping on anothers foot ; or whether a cut was caused by a punch or a head butt.

It's about time. There are times when I wonder if one of the judges is watching the same fight as I am.

He was KO'd so severely that they needed Schmeling salts to eventually revive him.

Here is a 12 minute video of the fight with some background info. On the last knockdown you can see the towel being thrown in by Schmelings corner.

It's about time. There are times when I wonder if one of the judges is watching the same fight as I am.

I agree. Bad judging has been one of the biggest problems boxing has ever had.The good news is starting this Saturday night the commissions are going to start holding the judges accountable. The HBO championship between Tim Bradley and Jesse Vargas will have several off site judges judging the fight in real time plus other ones (not official) judging the fight inside the arena. Their results will be compared to the official judges who will be graded.

This is a big step forward. Holding judges professionally responsible is absolutely necessary.

Tonight June 27 Tim Bradley vs Jessie Vargas 9:45pm HBO. Moneyline Bradley -400; Vargas + 275. Money tending slightly toward Morales.
Vargas changed trainers from Roy Jones jr to Erick Morales for this one. Neither big ko punchers but both all action attack fighters.
Judges will be monitored and graded by the California State Boxing Ccommission.

Tim Bradley fought Jessie Vargas last night in an all action 12 round, bell to bell (?) slug fest.
Both fighters gave it everything they had and left it all in the ring.

Cleveland (Big Cat) Williams. Fought from 1952 to 172. Knockout power with both hands. Three brutal fights with Liston.
Fought Ali 11/14/1966 in which many believe Ali looked the best he ever did or would.

Top Bottom