What's new

EF And Fine Point Nibs

Never was a fan of Fine Point Ball Point Pens e.g. Stick Pens Bic and Papermate. In Grade School through the later years I always chose a medium point. Is it fair to say I would experience the same disdain towards fountain pens as I did w/Ball Point Pens in thatcategory or would the writing experience be more pleasurable? I know it probably be one of those YMMV, or would it?

Seems like a lot of folks use or choose the fine nibs in their collection of pens.

There's only one way to answer your question, and I think you already know it. :001_rolle Grab one of each and try them out. I think you'll find the writing experience quite different from using ballpoints. Even a fine point nib is much more expressive and satisfying. It's probably more significant to determine if your handwriting is small, in-between, or large. If you have tiny writing, then a fine point will serve you better. And bigger handwriting can use bigger nibs.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Most EF nibs, even when "smooth" still tend to be a bit scratchy IME. Note also that Japanese nibs will be finer than European/western nibs. If you are looking at a Pilot model, such as the Metropolitan, you may wish to try a medium, where as if you're looking at a Lamy, such as the Safari, you might be OK with a fine, YMMV. Writing with fountain pens is different than writing with a ball point or rollerball, so try before you buy if at all possible, but you can't go too far wrong either way.

Most EF nibs, even when "smooth" still tend to be a bit scratchy IME. Note also that Japanese nibs will be finer than European/western nibs. If you are looking at a Pilot model, such as the Metropolitan, you may wish to try a medium, where as if you're looking at a Lamy, such as the Safari, you might be OK with a fine, YMMV. Writing with fountain pens is different than writing with a ball point or rollerball, so try before you buy if at all possible, but you can't go too far wrong either way.

+1, usually used medium ball points before I went to fp. I know use F & M nibs on most of my daily carry pens, which are mostly from modern European or vintage American makers; however, the one daily carry that I have from an Asian manufacturer is an M nib, & I would not want to go any smaller than that.

Taken from the Goulet's nib nook, might be of some help.

$Screenshot 2015-03-18 at 22.51.12.png

There is not standardization for nibs. Every manufacture has their own standards. Japanese are generally a size smaller than American and European. Now many European nibs are similar because the same company, Bock, makes nibs for a lot of different brands. Here is a great chart that shows the difference in nib sizes.

http://www.nibs.com/TippingSizespage.htm

All very good advice, I cerainly appreciate your time. There are a handful of FP Shops in the Loop and surrounding suburbs of Chicago. Would just need to consolidate my trip to make a day of it you know, throw in a fine restaurant, museum or Lincoln Park and have an open mind when I go to the FP Shop, can't forget CC...

Last edited:
All very good advice, I cerainly appreciate your time. There are a handful of FP Shops in the Loop and surrounding suburbs of Chicago. Would just need to consolidate my trip to make a day of it you know, throw in a fine restaurant, museum or Lincoln Park and have an open mind when I go to the FP Shop, can't forget CC...

That sounds like a great plan. You're lucky to live near a big city with pen shops. Trying pens is really the only way to learn what's available, as well as what you like. That said, the advice above is good. Japanese nibs are generally finer than their western counterparts. Nib width can also differ between models from a manufacturer. For example, the medium nib on my Pilot Prera is finer than the medium nib on my Metropolitan, and the former is a very smooth writer. I gave away the Metropolitan.

-Andy

Top Bottom