What's new

Which would you practice with first?

I picked up 3 cheap razors for the purpose of practicing honing. I don't know one brand from another as far as quality goes. I'd like to practice on the worst first and save the best for last, with the hopes of being able to actually use it. All three are German made. In what order would you suggest I experiment on them?

The first is labelled "Barber's Choice"
$SRBarbers.jpg

The second one says "Cosmo Mfg Co, Germany"
$SRCosmos.jpg

The third is labelled "Karl Eickenberg, Solingen-Ohligs
$SRSolingen.jpg

I don't see any major flaws with any of the three, though I know very little about straight razors in general. Any guidance is appreciated.

Maybe the Karl, due to what looks like a straighter edge that might be easier to hone and strop at the start. Curved ones used in the past were also good after practicing how to hone them but the straighter edged ones ended up being easier to hone.

Watch some youtube videos on honing and jump in with both feet. The difficult part is deciding how best to spend your tuition money for the education. Natural Stones, JNATS, Synthetics, or Lapping Film

Last edited:
I recommend honing each and you'll learn more than honing a single razor several times. Otherwise I'd go with Karl Eickenberg first.

I too like the looks of the Barber's Choice. I'll start with the Eichenberg and finish up with the Barber's Choice.

Personally, I'd start with the Cosmo.
The Karl needs to have the heel relaxed, as the stabilizer is 'into' the bevel and edge.
The Barber's choice 'may' have a bit of a frown, or that could be distortion in the lens or my tired eyesight.
Whatever the case - the Cosmoo is a bit bigger and even though there's a bit of a smile, that shouldn't present a problem.

Top Bottom