What's new

Fragrance Samples Discussion Thread

I have a bunch of sample from one of our fine B&B members en route. Should be here today!

I will be posting a list and my thoughts on them. Cant wait.
Expect to see some nice stuff!

were do I start
$IMG_20150317_175540477[1].jpg$IMG_20150317_175549293[1].jpg

Matt...I also received a bunch of samples recently. I'll be following this thread and trying to participate when I have a chance.

I tried the Musgo Real Oak Moss today. I get a citrus oak moss opening with a Oak Moss, Coriander and a light woodsy dry down. The projection is a little low IMO and after 3 hours it is almost gone and sits very close to the skin. I like it and it was a great post shave scent. However I would not purchase it unless it was very cheap. If it stuck around longer it would be wonderful.

Last edited:
I really like the Musgo Real Oak Moss. It comes as a splash and it's an edc so I generally apply liberally. It does stay close to the skin but I found it had good longevity. You may not have sprayed enough. It's one of my favourite "splash and go" scents.

Last edited:
It has now been just over hours since I applied the Musgo Real. I can still smell it if I smell my wrists. I think I would enjoy it on a cool spring day and maybe spray it just a touch heavier. I think it would work well as a splash too.
I am thinking I may go with TSAR tomorrow but the TF Tuscan Leather is hard to wait for.

It has now been just over hours since I applied the Musgo Real. I can still smell it if I smell my wrists. I think I would enjoy it on a cool spring day and maybe spray it just a touch heavier. I think it would work well as a splash too.
I am thinking I may go with TSAR tomorrow but the TF Tuscan Leather is hard to wait for.

I first picked up a bottle of TSAR in the 90s at Hudson's in Detroit. I remember the attractive sales lady telling me it was her favourite and that it would be something different than the standard guy frags then (Eternity,Obsession, etc). I was bartending and waiting tables back then in university and I was constantly complimented about it. The sample you have is the reformulated version as the old stuff has long since been used up. I've read reviews that the currently produced TSAR is not as nice as the old version, but I've never been able to compare. I happen to still like TSAR, even in its current formulation.

If you decide to go with the TF Tuscan Leather, it's been my experience that it is a powerful scent in sillage, longevity and projection. It's a good idea not to test that one at work. Lol. Awesome scent, though.

WOW ... where does one find a sample lot like that? I just been getting into colognes & aftershaves this past year. Its nice to be able to sample the fragrances first. I've blind purchased several fragrances based solely on reviews .. Some amazed me and I loved and others I sold because I didn't like at all ... That's a wonderful sample lot, will be following your post to see what you think of them

The samples I got from another member but there are places on-line that sell small decants. Perfumed court and surrender to chance are both good.
Anyway.....

Since I could not detect the Musgo Real Oak moss last night I decided to try TSAR. I cant comment about performance yet. I just unscrewed the cap and used the spray hose to apply a tiny amount to my wrist.

I get a good amount of quality smelling oak moss. I also got a little leather and pine. Something like the Musgo Real but better. This to me would be a perfect scent for a cool day after a great wet shave. If it performs well I would consider buying this one (provided the wife likes it).

Today I went with Memoirs of a Trespasser. I have only had it on for about 1.5 hours but it seem to project well and I don't think it is going to die off anytime soon. If you try it go light! Its strong

I am not a huge fan of vanilla scents but I am digging this so far. I mainly smell a sweet woodsy myrrh. The vanilla is still very strong but I am still liking it. I don't think I would wear this on a hot day but winter or fall it would be great! I will try to comment on performance when I get a chance to wear it longer.

Hope you all are enjoying my reviews.

Ok. My thoughts on vintage Guerlain Vetiver edc. I really liked it! Again, it seemed a bit deeper/richer than modern Guerlain Vetiver, although I haven't had the modern version in some time. This vetiver is earthy and smooth. Nothing raw or dirty to my nose. There's something in this frag that gives it balance, IMO. Great scent.

I found it stayed fairly close to the skin, but projected enough so that a person standing or sitting next to me would eventually notice. To me, that's the "sweet spot" or "Goldilocks Zone" for a fragrance. I don't want it to overwhelm a room, but it's pointless if the scent doesn't radiate at least a little bit.

I wear Tom Ford Grey Vetiver occasionally. Where Guerlain is deep, earthy and smooth, TFGV is brighter and a bit louder in performance. It projects way more so I just ease back on the application. I'm guessing there's far more citrus in the TFGV that lifts it up a bit.

I went for grey flannel today. Yes I have never tried it before. To me it smells like another great classic.

Grey Flannel is a good one. My wife actually bought me a bottle for Christmas. It starts a bit sharp, but after some time it's nice. It's another one that requires easy use of the trigger.

Cobra and canary today. I could smell leather hay and lemon for sure! I went with only one spray. I found it a little strange. It lasted most of the day. However I'm getting a cold. Think I may take a break from testing. My nose is just not working well

Last edited:
I am not going to give up on the cobra and the canary yet. I think it will grow on me.

I am however taking a break from sampling. This cold is keeping me from smelling anything! Even when I can breath in my nose. Heck I didn't even bother drinking a beer last night!

Anyway I hope the break is short. I will be posting my thoughts on everything I try

Top Bottom