What's new

Fragrance Samples Discussion Thread

Okay the performance on Pure Shot is not good at all. A couple of hours in and I could not detect much at all

Okay the performance on Pure Shot is not good at all. A couple of hours in and I could not detect much at all

I get good longevity with Pure Shot, but it's one that i also get anosmic with. Wife tells me that she can still smell it at 6 hrs, but I too can't detect it after a few hours

. The fragrance features petitgrain, bergamot, rosemary, geranium, lavender, sage, oakmoss, amber and cedar.

Also, just got some nice samples in the mail; Amouage Epic Man, Dior Leather Oud and Narcisco Rodriguez for Him. Will post my thoughts in the days to come

I swiped a little Leather Oud on my wrist about 10 minutes ago, and so far....I'm in love!! Need a full wearing, but I swear this has similarities to Musc Ravageur, which is my all time favorite fragrance

[MENTION=34672]rickcharles606[/MENTION], I tried the AA Cuir et Bois. This is a really neat oud attar. I get oud, oak moss, vetiver, some rose, and a serious blast of pine tar (almost too much). This mellowed into a warm oud/leather fragrance that is really pleasant. I like this one a whole bunch, once the pine tar airs out. Thanks for sending it along. More to come. And thank you for a really generous exchange.

Help us out Larry how are we supposed to sample these oud oils? What is the best way to wear them?
For just a sample, I'll put a tiny swipe on my wrist. If you put this on the inside pulse point, you may wind up with oil on your furniture, so consider applying to the outside. For a full wear, a small swipe or two on my torso and a smaller swipe on my wrists. By swipe, I do not mean the wand completely dripping; just lightly covered.

Note, the oil will get into your clothing. I find that it makes my undershirts (and all of the whites that are washed with them), come out of the wash with just a hint of a wood fragrance. This is only noticeable, to me, if in put my nose into the clean laundry, far less noticeable than any dryer sheet.

Hope this helps. Enjoy.

[MENTION=34672]rickcharles606[/MENTION], I tried the AA Cuir et Bois. This is a really neat oud attar. I get oud, oak moss, vetiver, some rose, and a serious blast of pine tar (almost too much). This mellowed into a warm oud/leather fragrance that is really pleasant. I like this one a whole bunch, once the pine tar airs out. Thanks for sending it along. More to come. And thank you for a really generous exchange.

Yeah, that's one of my favorites and yeah, I too get pine tar too. Glad you like it!

Today
Let me start by saying I have not worn some of my fragrances as they are warmer weather scents and I have been sampling a lot. I just got several new samples in the mail from another member trade. So here goes

Creed Green Irish Tweed with one spray of cool water on my right wrist (2012 bottle).
Creed GIT (from another site) "opens with top notes of iris and lemon verbena. The middle notes include violet
leaves. The base notes are ambergris and Mysore sandalwood."
My creed sample is one of the small dabber bottles. I get the opening of the lemon verbena. It makes the violet leaf seem a little sweeter than most scents with it. We will see how it performs and changes through out the day but after an hour here are my thoughts

GIT is far better smelling in the opening but the dry down after and hour is what counts for me. Right now they smell very close to the same. GIT is far better but like most people have said others will think it is cool water. They make think that cool water smells very good on you but it still smells of cool water and a little like Aspen.

Worth the price tag? Right now I am thinking not to me. If I am going to spend that much on a scent it will be unique and perform great. It will not be something easily mistaken for something else.

More to come

I used to wear cool water back in the 90s and it does smell very close to the same as it did back then but not near as beastly as it used to be. A vintage bottle of cool water may be even closer.

This sums up my thoughts exactly on GIT.

I too used a sample received via trade. This morning I used TF Venetian Bergamot. I was fully prepared to be let down by yet another TF frag. The handful I've sampled before have been consistently too sweet for me. Not so VB! I love it. It opens with a nice blast of some peppery bergamot, and maybe some lemon(?). Then it dried into this beautiful, soft, musk with a bit of ginger that I liked a whole bunch. Interestingly, the dry down on my wrists has been very different than the dry down on my torso. My wrists went pretty quickly to the soft musky, almost powdery fragrance, while my chest has retained much of the peppery bergamot. This one may be a buy; I'll have to try the sample a couple more times.

Thanks for sending it along, [MENTION=34672]rickcharles606[/MENTION], this one's a winner.

I bought this for my wife and steal sprays all the time, love this stuff. I just love the bergamot in this one

I bought this for my wife and steal sprays all the time, love this stuff. I just love the bergamot in this one
Great, summer-y frag. Perfectly appropriate for office-wear, etc. Thanks again.

BTW, I got two new Agar Aura samples this morning. Taha has been experimenting with Laotian ouds, which can be downright feral. I have one which I'll try tomorrow. I also picked up a mysore sandalwood sample, which I've only ever smelled blended with other ingredients, so I'm real curious about this one too.

Great, summer-y frag. Perfectly appropriate for office-wear, etc. Thanks again.

BTW, I got two new Agar Aura samples this morning. Taha has been experimenting with Laotian ouds, which can be downright feral. I have one which I'll try tomorrow. I also picked up a mysore sandalwood sample, which I've only ever smelled blended with other ingredients, so I'm real curious about this one too.

Mysore sandalwood is something that I've wanted to sample on its own as well. I mean, we've all tried it blended with other stuff so I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it

I swiped the sandalwood about two hours ago. I'm a bit surprised. Initially the oil smelled nothing like I expected. There was only the faintest hint of what I've come to think is mysore sandalwood. Instead, I got a shock of almost an electric zestiness that was completely unexpected. At first I thought perhaps it just re-vitalized the Venetian Bergamot I applied early this morning. But this was not bergamot. As it started to dry I started to get a bit stronger hints of what I thought was mysore, more undetectable. Now, about two hours later, I smell what I thought was mysore, but much more vivid and fresh. I think what I thought was mysore sandalwood really is only about 1/4 of what mysore sandalwood really is. Wow.

Top Bottom