What's new

Fragrance Samples Discussion Thread

After several hours this become less green and the pine and fir calmed down a lot. It was a very warm and resinous scent with the green notes more in the background. IMO it is a great warm resinous and woody scent. Think more of a coniferous forest then a forest fall of maple and oak trees. It was a little Christmas tree like in the opening and for a couple of hours.

Now I don't think I would buy it but I did enjoy wearing it.

Today
Dior Eau Noire (from the La Collection line)
Grassy – spiced sage note and pleasant and fresh anis open the composition. The
heart follows with lavender, Virginian cedar and coffee, and the base is warm
and powdery soft with leather, vanilla and violet.

I only read the above after smelling it and the opening is in fact Grassy! I got a lot of grass and spicy notes right away. I also got the licorice note a lot. After a little over an hour I am getting mostly lavender and vanilla with some spice and that green note is almost gone. The licorice gives it a smoother vibe.

I am liking it so far. I went easy on the trigger but brought the small decant with me to work. I am thinking about giving myself another spray.

More to come soon

Now this one sounds promising! By "grassy" is it an earthy vetiver grass, or brighter? Just curious

Bright and grassy almost like fresh cut grass.

I did give myself another sprits at work. The licorice was very present

Ill add more soon
Sounds a little like Geurlain Vetiver. I get an anise like note from Geurlain at first. Are the in the same ballpark?

Today
Leather Blend by
Description
At the heart of Davidoff Leather Blend, resounds a sensual chord of rose
and amber. The rose narguile note gives the fragrance a sense of warmth and
voluptuousness while amber adds a seductive oriental overtone. These lush heart
notes are faceted in the top with a piquant combination of luminous saffron and
stimulating pepper. The strong and virile base note of leather gives its name to
the fragrance. Warm, musky and highly desirable, it brings an unashamedly
masculine dimension.

The opening was more oud to me with some rose. Its a little spicy and a little dirty. Its been a couple of hours and it seems that its a skin scent. May be olfactory fatigue and many says it is beastly. We shall see.....

Today
Leather Blend by
Description
At the heart of Davidoff Leather Blend, resounds a sensual chord of rose
and amber. The rose narguile note gives the fragrance a sense of warmth and
voluptuousness while amber adds a seductive oriental overtone. These lush heart
notes are faceted in the top with a piquant combination of luminous saffron and
stimulating pepper. The strong and virile base note of leather gives its name to
the fragrance. Warm, musky and highly desirable, it brings an unashamedly
masculine dimension.

The opening was more oud to me with some rose. Its a little spicy and a little dirty. Its been a couple of hours and it seems that its a skin scent. May be olfactory fatigue and many says it is beastly. We shall see.....

Hmmmmm, you have my attention. Want to know what type of longevity you get with this one

Hmmmmm, you have my attention. Want to know what type of longevity you get with this one
Rick
I want to tell you that the longevity was great. However it seems as if it was only okay. That being said I have (once again) been having some sinus issues again. Post nasal drip making my cough all the time. All the meds I take when this happens seems to kill my sense of smell for awhile. It could be just that. In fact I was going to review Oud Alif from Shay and Blue London today. I am wearing it and I could smell the opening but is seems to be almost gone. To test my sniffer I just smelled my coffee and ..... almost nothing. I think my nose will be out for awhile. Now I hope I am not that guy at the office today and wont be able to tell. I do get a slightly more true to oud note and grassy patchouli from the fragrance but I don't feel like I could give it a proper review.

I will be trying the leather blend again before I pass judgment. I did get 5ml of this one and 2ml of the Alif Oud

Rick
I want to tell you that the longevity was great. However it seems as if it was only okay. That being said I have (once again) been having some sinus issues again. Post nasal drip making my cough all the time. All the meds I take when this happens seems to kill my sense of smell for awhile. It could be just that. In fact I was going to review Oud Alif from Shay and Blue London today. I am wearing it and I could smell the opening but is seems to be almost gone. To test my sniffer I just smelled my coffee and ..... almost nothing. I think my nose will be out for awhile. Now I hope I am not that guy at the office today and wont be able to tell. I do get a slightly more true to oud note and grassy patchouli from the fragrance but I don't feel like I could give it a proper review.

I will be trying the leather blend again before I pass judgment. I did get 5ml of this one and 2ml of the Alif Oud

Hate to hear about your nose being broken ;-) Let me know when you try Leather Blend again!

Its been awhile since I have done a review. If you look forward to reading them sorry it has been so long. I have been pretty sick and I have not been able to smell for weeks. For a while I could not smell anything at all. I mean NOTHING! The sense of smell has been coming back slowly and though I may not be 100% I am back to wearing new things and I have a large stash a new samples and decants.

With that here we go

Saturday
Armani Code Profumo by Giorgio Armani
Top notes are green mandarin, green apple and cardamom; middle notes are orange
blossom, lavender and nutmeg; base notes are tonka bean, amber and leather.

This is pretty good but a little to sweet for me (maybe). The wife also said the same thing. It didn't smell like a mens scent to her.

Opening was sweet with Tonka with a nice spice of cardamom. This reminds me of MiP mixed with YSL La Nuit and that is a good thing. Its still a little to sweet. The performance was also pretty good and I got a good 8 hours and about 5 hours with good projection. I would really consider buying it if it was a tad less sweet. If the wife liked it more I would buy it anyway. If you are into sweet scents (seems to be the current craze) give this a try!

Today
Tobacco Blaze by Rasasi
This can be found for around $68

Top notes are neroli, lily-of-the-valley and saffron; middle notes are violet,
apricot, coumarin, amber and cedar; base notes are patchouli, leather and
agarwood (oud).

The opening...
I got a ton of white floral of some sort. Looking at the notes now it has to be the neroli and lily-of-the-valley. I also got a fair amount of leather and saffron with a little oud. After a few minutes the floral notes cooled off and I could detect some fruit.

Now it has been a little over an hour. I am still getting the leather and some sweetness. Something smells a little plastic like but I cant put my finger on it. It still might be the floral notes. At this point I am not a big fan however I could see it growing on me.

Ill update later on

Its been awhile since I have done a review. If you look forward to reading them sorry it has been so long. I have been pretty sick and I have not been able to smell for weeks. For a while I could not smell anything at all. I mean NOTHING! The sense of smell has been coming back slowly and though I may not be 100% I am back to wearing new things and I have a large stash a new samples and decants.

With that here we go

Saturday

This is pretty good but a little to sweet for me (maybe). The wife also said the same thing. It didn't smell like a mens scent to her.

Opening was sweet with Tonka with a nice spice of cardamom. This reminds me of MiP mixed with YSL La Nuit and that is a good thing. Its still a little to sweet. The performance was also pretty good and I got a good 8 hours and about 5 hours with good projection. I would really consider buying it if it was a tad less sweet. If the wife liked it more I would buy it anyway. If you are into sweet scents (seems to be the current craze) give this a try!

Today
Tobacco Blaze by Rasasi

agarwood (oud).

The opening...
I got a ton of white floral of some sort. Looking at the notes now it has to be the neroli and lily-of-the-valley. I also got a fair amount of leather and saffron with a little oud. After a few minutes the floral notes cooled off and I could detect some fruit.

Now it has been a little over an hour. I am still getting the leather and some sweetness. Something smells a little plastic like but I cant put my finger on it. It still might be the floral notes. At this point I am not a big fan however I could see it growing on me.

Ill update later on

Welcome back! Glad your shnozz is feeling better ;-)

With that here we go

Saturday

Today
Tobacco Blaze by Rasasi

agarwood (oud).

The opening...

Ill update later on
After a near full day wearing this is well into the drydown. I am still getting the floral notes but it is almost like a very light Versace Man (the old purple bottle) with added floral notes. Vesace Man is one of my favorites but this.... just cant get over the floral on top. If I want to smell like this does in the drydown near a skin scent I would just wear that. It is a pass for me!!

today
Armaf Oud
This is from a decnant that I got in a swap

I have seen it for $35-$40 but I have also seen it for over $100

Top notes are caraway, sage, bergamot and spicy notes; middle notes are cedar,
iris and black pepper; base notes are leather, patchouli, vanilla and amber.

I sprayed it this morning before looking at the notes. Oud is not listed and that is strange to me. Not because of the name but because I totally get western oud from this.

Not many reviews out there but some say it lasts forever and its a beast to it sucks and does not last at all.

The opening seemed light but 5 minutes in and it was kickin. Right now a little over an hour and I am getting some oud and vanilla. The western oud I am getting could very well be the cedar with vanilla and smoothed out with the amber. To me this is a standard oud vanilla amber mix with some leather and patchouli. It is a little spicy too.

So far it is better than expected. If it performs well I would recommend it at this price point for sure.

More to come

today
Armaf Oud
This is from a decnant that I got in a swap

I have seen it for $35-$40 but I have also seen it for over $100

Top notes are caraway, sage, bergamot and spicy notes; middle notes are cedar,
iris and black pepper; base notes are leather, patchouli, vanilla and amber.

I sprayed it this morning before looking at the notes. Oud is not listed and that is strange to me. Not because of the name but because I totally get western oud from this.

Not many reviews out there but some say it lasts forever and its a beast to it sucks and does not last at all.

The opening seemed light but 5 minutes in and it was kickin. Right now a little over an hour and I am getting some oud and vanilla. The western oud I am getting could very well be the cedar with vanilla and smoothed out with the amber. To me this is a standard oud vanilla amber mix with some leather and patchouli. It is a little spicy too.

So far it is better than expected. If it performs well I would recommend it at this price point for sure.

More to come
This turned out very nice! Good longevity with about 6 hours with projection. The wife could smell it up close 12 hours later. A nice scent that is very wearable. Smooth and unisex

Today I am a couple of hours in to
Oud Alif from Shay and Blue London
Retails for $166 for 100ml

The fragrance features agarwood (oud), dark chocolate, leather, saffron and
patchouli.

Opening was a nice smooth chocolate and oud with leather being light.

Now the oud is more pronounced with the patch bringing in some earth notes. The leather is detectable but the chocolate is further back and more like dry cocoa. The oud is a little medicinal and dirty.

Seems nice so far but not as wearable as I thought it would be. I like it don't get me wrong but I think many people wouldn't like it that are not used to oud fragrances.

Update coming later tonight

Update on Oud Alif
Great smelling scent! It remained smooth and very nice as I described before. The performance should be better IMO for $165. So for me its a pass only because of that.

Today
Sycomore (EDT) by Chanel retails for $185 for 2.5oz and $325 for 6.8 oz.

Not all sites have the same notes listed but these seem to be the closest to me.

From a few sites
Vetiver, Cypress, Juniper, Pink Pepper, Burning Woods

The opening was BIG on the juniper and the vetiver seemed clean and green. Some reviews say they got a lot of Iso E but I am not getting much at all yet and that is a good thing. So far I am liking it.

Its only been about and hour and the projection seems light so we shall see how that goes.

Today
Davidoff Leather Blend
Description - not mine
These lush heart notes are faceted in the top with a piquant combination of
luminous saffron and stimulating pepper. The strong and virile base note of
leather gives its name to the fragrance. Warm, musky and highly desirable, it
brings an unashamedly masculine dimension.

This is a warm smooth leather with a little spice. Light on the saffron and very light on the rose. I HATE rose most of the time but this is nice an light. Just adds a slight floral note. Whatever I hate about rose with this it just makes the amber not so sweet.

I could not find it available at many sites so it might be discontinued. We shall see how it performs

I hope everyone is still enjoying this thread. I have been sick with the flu and not wearing perfumes again. I will start this back up again soon

Would you all rather I split this into a new thread for each scent?

Top Bottom