What's new

Flavoring coffee, with spices?

Just curious here. I see lots of ground coffee with hazlenut and whatevernot flavors out there.

So it got me thinking. I grind my own before brewing, but what about adding flavors/spices to the fresh grounds? Nutmeg and cinnamon come immediately to mind. Does this work, and/or is it good? And if so, then what's your procedure?

I use a Bodum press.....expresso roast, and add a couple of shakes of cinnamon directly to the grounds before adding water. I think it adds a nice little bit of flavor to my daily brew, but it isn't intense like a shot of flavor syrup at Starbucks. I like the subtle. Good stuff. Good thread topic, I am interested to hear what others do.

Most "flavored" coffees are flavored artificially.

Making your own is a better way to go about flavored coffee.

I've broken up a cardamom pod and put a few teeny pieces of the seeds in my coffee. Makes for a nice change.

Don't put in too much, though, or you'll get a strong and astringent flavor in your coffee.

In Tanzania ,Zanzibar ,Eritrea ,Iran and a few other countries,ginger and cardamom are used daily."Persian" coffees and teas are sold prepackaged with cardamom already blended in.In Tanzania and Zanzibar you will also find the Chai Masala blended spices added to coffee as well as tea,really delicious !!

Some spices aren't water soluble though - like vanilla. So you need to introduce an extract post brew I would think. When I was a kid, I always liked the idea of a cinnamon stick in my hot chocolate. It was a rare treat.

-jim

I've broken up a cardamom pod and put a few teeny pieces of the seeds in my coffee. Makes for a nice change.

Don't put in too much, though, or you'll get a strong and astringent flavor in your coffee.

Cardamom sounds delicious in coffee. I've not thought of it before!

I normally go the cinnamon or nutmeg route, but lately I've been on a ginger/allspice kick. Sounds weird, but give it a shot.

Coffee, vanilla extract works well.... Must clarify, not talking about the sugar filled coffee syrups. Not those, but the ones they use for cakes and cookery. Cinnamon is also nice.
astounded no one has mentioned chicory yet.

Some spices aren't water soluble though - like vanilla. So you need to introduce an extract post brew I would think. When I was a kid, I always liked the idea of a cinnamon stick in my hot chocolate. It was a rare treat.

-jim
the easiest to make vanilla flavoring is to make vanilla sugar. A vanilla bean left in sugar for two weeks.

I use a Bodum press.....expresso roast, and add a couple of shakes of cinnamon directly to the grounds before adding water. I think it adds a nice little bit of flavor to my daily brew, but it isn't intense like a shot of flavor syrup at Starbucks. I like the subtle. Good stuff. Good thread topic, I am interested to hear what others do.

This!

Top Bottom