What's new

Whip or Stir for lather?

When making lather, should one use a fast whiping motion with the wrist or should it be a slower, stiring motion? Which method generates a superior lather? Is the process the same when soaps and creams? Thanks

I suggest whipping. Slow stirring never gets me anywhere. I prefer the phrase "beat the hell out of the soap" but that's just me.. :lol:

Oh and I beat the hell out of creams too.

Watch Mantic's videos. He's an expert lather whipper.

I would say you want it to be pretty fast but dont go so crazy lather is flying out of the bowl. The whole point of mixing lather is to get air into it which gives it the volume. I stir sometimes slowly to keep everything back in the bowl.

BLUF: It takes practice so just do what works for you.

And Mantic does have some great lather videos on YouTube.

A deliberate stirring motion is, in my opinion, superior to whipping for decreased likelihood of the lather becoming too airy. I guess it has alot to do with the consistency that I like my lathers, but deliberate stirring always helps me achieve this.

I agree with OldSchoolYoungin. There was a good thread some months back that suggested slowing down a bit. I tried it and my lather improved. You're trying to incorporate more water than air, and whipping, for me, made my lather too frothy. Of course the standard YMMV remarks apply, as there's likely to be differences not only due to technique, but also due to the characteristics of the soap/cream and of the brush.

To get lather that's renown
You must whip it
You will never live it down
Unless you whip it
No one gets away
Until they whip it

I say whip it
Whip it good.

I like a little of both worlds. Starting off pretty aggressive to build up some decent lather, then a little more controlled stirring to top it off. Whatever suits your fancy.

In my opinion the right amount of water is much more important. Try to add the right amount of water straight away and the whole process is much easier. When testing a new soap or cream do the normal routine i.e. adding only a small amount of water at a time, though. After a few shaves you should be able to do it the right way.

I usually stir. However, I use a pumping motion a couple of times during preparation to get the air content.

A deliberate stirring motion is, in my opinion, superior to whipping for decreased likelihood of the lather becoming too airy. I guess it has alot to do with the consistency that I like my lathers, but deliberate stirring always helps me achieve this.

I agree.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom