What's new

Pecan wood chips

Personally, I find the chips don't do much. Many use them in smoker boxes or make bags. Chunks are hard to come by in Canada, so I purchase them in the USA when I drive down or someone is headed that way.

I've tried soaking chips and making a packet in foil, poking holes, but they don't give off much flavour, at least for me.

proxy.php

The first order of business is choosing the right size of wood from three basic options:chips, chunks, and logs.

Chips are scraps and shavings of wood that ignite quickly, but also burn out pretty fast. The biggest advantage to these are they're more readily available in a wide variety in stores. Other than that, I find the short burn time a reason to skip them unless totally necessary.

Chunks are usually about fist-size pieces of wood and my choice for getting things smoking. They take longer to fully ignite than chips, but burn for a good hour in a grill, and hours in a smoker. For city dwellers like myself, who may not have a natural supply of wood to forage from, chunks are sold pretty inexpensively all over the internet.

Logs are full pieces of wood, like you would use in a fireplace or to build a campfire. These are best reserved for barbecuing in a pit or with an offset smoker, but we're talking grilling, and I don't think logs serve much of a use here. They take a long time to get to the point where you cook over them and produce more smoke than you'll probably ever need when grilling

I brought back several armfuls of pecan branches from Arizona, been using it almost exclusively for about a year. It is very mild, great on pork and chicken. Not my favorite on beef though. My wife thinks it compares well to apple. I dunno, but I do like it.

We have an abundance of pecan here in Louisiana and I have only used chips once. Yes, they do not give off much smoke in my opinion. I really find them great on pork and chicken. I think it's great for brisket also if you are using a mustard slather. It really brings out the tanginess.

Don

We used Pecan for our Spatchcock Chickens last night and quite enjoyed it. But again, these were "chunks" and I do believe they give off more flavor and smoke then the chips.

The bag I have has no shavings, so between chips and chunks.
I used mesquite previously, same size pieces, with great results.

Thanks for the replies :001_smile

We have an abundance of pecan here in Louisiana and I have only used chips once. Yes, they do not give off much smoke in my opinion. I really find them great on pork and chicken. I think it's great for brisket also if you are using a mustard slather. It really brings out the tanginess.

Don

+1.
Pecan is good for Texan BBQ like brisket and dry rubs.

Sorry for the delay. But not so! Tame the beast and turn the heat down low. Don't soak the chips. Lay them in an aluminum pan and let them go for a while (ten minutes). Then when things are nice and smokey add the cheese (fontina, Gouda, Swiss, even Brie) on a pan above the grates for 6 to 8 minutes. I'd shoot for 250° or as low as your BBQ can go.

The cheese will be soft but shouldn't melt into a puddle. Heck, get some banana leaves and smoke some Spam!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
What he said. :thumbup1:

Except shoot for about 80 to 90 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour. It's hard to do when it's 100 degrees outside though. This is the time of year to do it.

Just do indirect with about 4-6 briquettes and a couple of small chunks of wood for the fire. You might try a test run to see what temp. your grill runs with that before you try the cheese. I've smoked many a brick of cheese on an old Wally World vertical water smoker with the above fuel and it sometimes gets a bit soft but firms up nicely after it cools. Just put the cheese on some foil with some holes poked in it so it doesn't drip through the grate and it can get some good smoke. And if you have a regular charcoal grill you might put a disposable aluminum pan filled with water on the grill also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom