What's new

Maggard's MR8: Is it functional or just humorously oversized?

Hello All,

So I'm thinking I want the Muhle R41. But I may be better off just buying the head, and separately buying one of Maggard's stainless handles to pair it with. Thought is, I already have a standard sized brass handle from a Parker 26c that is similar to the ones that come on the Muhle, as well as a Weber Classic handle and a Gillette bar, and ball end, so the "standard" sizes I have covered.

But the MR8 is different. It's big. I like big handles and modern razors. But the truth is, from the photos, I can't tell if the MR8 is big, useful and effective, or if it's just comically over-sized and ridiculous, like a pair of clown shoes. If I do get it, it won't be limited to the R41, as I can pair it with NEWs and the Parker and Weber. Anyone who's used it, does it work for you?

Secondly, anyone familiar with the MR20? What are the dimensions. Since I already have a Weber Classic, is this redundant? MR3? MR6?

Finally. R41 or Fatip Grande? Both are aggressive but the Fatip is brass. Is the R41 that much better a shaver. What are the handle interchangeability issues always surrounding the Fatip?

Thank you in advance for your perspectives.

I believe Fatip's thread is M4 x 0.7, almost all others are either M5 x 0.8 or 10-32 which are almost the same thing.

Which one is better, I'll be able to give you my opinion in a week or so. All the stories about alignment issues kept me from buying a Fatip all this time, and I also don't care much for modern razors to be honest ( except the two I tried and still own - the R41 and the Progress). But the other day I was ordering a couple of soaps and thought I'd buy a Fatip... can't go too wrong for $13 anyway.

Whatever you decide, keep us posted and I hope you'll enjoy your new razor.

Yeah, the only vintage razors I've really warmed up to are the NEWs. Fatboy, Slim, Super Adjustable are all fine, and will stay as historical relics, but I get better results with the Progress. The Tech and Superspeeds, I find so meh, in comparison to modern non-adjustables, I just don't reach for them. The NEW SC, however, that is sweet? Wondering about how it will work with a 6.5 Oz handle? Might be worth getting the MR8 just to find out.

Where'd you score a $13 Fatip?

just know with the fatip many handles will not work right or they will at first and then after a few weeks will not grab anymore. i have 4 fatips and can say they all have alignment issues one is really bad. all have to be adjusted a bit before shaving with them.

for the the mr8 is on the largish side to where its almost to big. it is a really nice handle for sure. just depends on what you like. i have seen some say its to large for them.

The MR8 and R41 head are exactly what I use. You won't find a better shave; and I think you'd like the MR8, but at 150 grams, you might find a lighter Maggard stainless handle more to your liking. The textured grip make it easy to hold, or rinse soapy slickness under water to restore your hold. This combo does a BBS in 2 passes with touchups. I don't have a vintage razor, but I also have a Merkur 39C slant, Feather AS-D2, and old Merkur 180 (same as 23C). By far the MR8 with R41 is my favorite combination. Comical size? Nah!

I love my MR8 and regularly use it with ATT H1 and H2 heads and with the NY Shaving Co. Mariner, pictured below. YMMV, of course, but it's not clown equipment, that's for sure.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one of the MR8 razors a couple of months back, fitted it with a nice handle (from an $11 Utopia razor I bought on Amazon last fall), and now it's my regular daily razor. I have noticed that if I am careless loading the blade it's possible for it to be misaligned, so a little care is needed while changing blades. The razor is a on the aggressive side, but not so aggressive as my Fatip Piccolo. While I think a Merkur Progress might be in my future someday, I'm in no rush to go out and order one because I get absolutely great shaves with these two razors.

Thank you gentlemen. Looks like I'll take the plunge on the R41 and MR8 combo. Let Edgar experiment with the Fatip for now. I want to interchange handles and given the R41 's buzz, I have a feeling, I'll always have to have one, until I do (then I can complain about it). Sounds like putting wrong threaded handles on the Fatip eventually deforms the soft brass threads.

Viseguy, that handle and your thumb are the same diameter. It may not be Bozo's shoes, but it's certainly his bowtie. This may finally be the combo where I decapitate myself.

Also, FWIW, how is "Grande" lighter and smaller than "Picollo?" Is Fatip screwing with English speakers or are they marketed by those Starbucks
twits who named the smallest size coffee a "tall?"

FWIW, I said the Piccolo is heavier, I didn't say its handle is bigger. [emoji14]

It's heavier because the handle is solid, the Grande is hollow.

Thank you gentlemen. Looks like I'll take the plunge on the R41 and MR8 combo. Let Edgar experiment with the Fatip for now. I want to interchange handles and given the R41 's buzz, I have a feeling, I'll always have to have one, until I do (then I can complain about it). Sounds like putting wrong threaded handles on the Fatip eventually deforms the soft brass threads.

Viseguy, that handle and your thumb are the same diameter. It may not be Bozo's shoes, but it's certainly his bowtie. This may finally be the combo where I decapitate myself.

Also, FWIW, how is "Grande" lighter and smaller than "Picollo?" Is Fatip screwing with English speakers or are they marketed by those Starbucks

1) You may find that the extra heft and size of the MR8 handle makes you more careful and deliberate in your shaving technique. That was my experience, anyway. It builds muscles you didn't know you had, so that shaves with lighter razors become a piece of cake. Kind of like a fungo bat in baseball.

2) The Grande handle is larger than the Piccolo, but the latter is heavier. Personally I'm not crazy about any of the Fatip handles and usually swap them out for Webers or UFOs. The Fatip head is where the magic happens.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer

LOL! I always order a "small", as I refuse to speak foreign languages just to sounds trendy.

The Fatip "Grande" is not so grande, is it?

LOL! I always order a "small", as I refuse to speak foreign languages just to sounds trendy.

The Fatip "Grande" is not so grande, is it?

I've noticed recently that the baristas (a/k/a people who do the grunt work) at Starbucks now respond normally to a request for a "small" or "medium" coffee, whereas they used to translate it for you into "tall" or "grande". As you probably know, there's an official syntax for translating plain-English into Starbucks-ese, so that if you order, for example, a"skim venti white chocolate iced mocha with extra whipped cream", the barista will (or is supposed to) correct your grammar to an ICED VENTI WHITE MOCHA NON-FAT EXTRA WHIP. And charge you $89.99. :laugh:

As for the Fatip Grande, the out-of-the-box handle is grrrrrrrrrr.... I prefer my Fatips with nice handles, such as the Weber 2012 Classic.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom