What's new

Are injector safety razors still being made?

Well, there are Chinese injector blades, Schick brand, also known as "Chicks," and there are new, generic "Schick" injector handles available on-line, perhaps Chinese in origin... so I guess the answer to your question is probably "yes." I was advised not to buy one of the generic handles, so I've never had one in my hand.

I really ought to try one since I get on very well with the Gillette Twinjector which the generic injector handle looks to be very similar to. Conversely, I never got a good shave out of a Schick injector razor, and I tried 'em all! Curious.

Another burgeoning alternative is the Mongoose, which I gather will have a "Mingoose" version suitable for injector style blades.

The Chinese handles sold at Amazon have such bad reviews I wouldn't buy one for a windshield scraper.

Wanting to get back to injector shaving, I opted for daBay and acquired a 60- and a 70- and an 80-year old real Schick (Types I, G, and E respectively). I can say with confidence that if you want a real injector shave, go vintage!

The "Chick" blades are good, and they work in all the vintage injectors.

HTH...

Haha! I think that exemplifies why I should try one of those Chinese injectors. I found the Chick blade to be absolutely horrific! I can't get a shave out of a Schick for love nor money ... my experience appears to be a polar opposite to everyone else. I might just be the right market for that generic injector handle.

Give me a link someone, I'm going to get one in ...

I decided to try a 14 dollar one off e-bay. It says its made out of stainless steel and it looks like it too. It doesn't look like the New Campus job that appeared years ago.

I am having poor luck with DE's so I want to go back to injectors.

I have tried the D and E Schicks and they just seemed too aggressive. I like the more modern Schicks.

They sell Schick brand injector blades at one of my local grocery stores. It says "Made in China" on it. They work alright faux de mieux (for lack of something better).

I bought one of the generic handles off of ebay and it shaves quite well. I picked up a Schick Adjustable later and while I like it better, I can't say it really shaves any better than the knockoff.

I'd like to hear more people comparing the generic handle to the Schick M's... I'd be curious. I haven't use many late-model Schicks to compare them to. Only the D and E's and those can be aggressive little razors (I prefer mild).

Oh ok... I got models confused. How do you think the generic handle compares to the vintage Schick razors?

So far, I think the generic handle is doing well as far as shaves go. Not the mildest shaver I have used but milder than the old D and E model Schicks.

I have an adjustable that I believe is an M. It's quite mild up to at least the #4 setting. Even the max is not all that aggressive I don't think, but you can tell the difference. I would say the generic is more like the adjustable set at #6 or so which is near the max, but again still not what I would call really aggressive.

If they are they certainly don't get the ink that DEs get, and that is a shame. I would love to see a modern take on the injector from Jagger, Merkur or one of the current DE manufacturers.
The fact that the blades are still being produced 30 years after the razors themselves ceased production should say something about the market for a new entry.

How cool would it be to see a fresh, high quality new injector?

Merkur doesn't make the blades so its probably not in their business interests to do so.

Personna would probably be the most apt to market an injector if there were enough interest.

I have seen a company called Bevel, they market to mostly African-American men interested in single-blade shaving because of pseudofolliculitis. I am surprised they went with a DE, one that looks like they custom ordered, instead of an injector. Injectors are just far more intuitive to use if you are used to cartridges, not to mention less "scary" to load and unload blades. A company like that might be persuaded to market an injector razor if it could be shown how it is in their benefit to do so.

Just an update but I noticed on my generic handle that the blade cover cap (I'm not sure what to call it exactly) doesn't sit even across the razor. It's about 2mm higher on the left side. I'm not sure if it is that important or it can be fixed. I will try another handle, maybe it was just a factory defect. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so fixing it probably won't work. I like injector razors enough the expense is worth it.

Just an update but I noticed on my generic handle that the blade cover cap (I'm not sure what to call it exactly) doesn't sit even across the razor. It's about 2mm higher on the left side. I'm not sure if it is that important or it can be fixed. I will try another handle, maybe it was just a factory defect. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so fixing it probably won't work. I like injector razors enough the expense is worth it.
I would recommend you go on daBay and get yourself a vintage Schick...solid workmanship, good-looking, and a great shaver! (and made in USA). I love mine!...great to shave with a razor that's nearly 80 years old and works perfectly. :thumbup1:

My $0.02...

The Chinese handles sold at Amazon have such bad reviews I wouldn't buy one for a windshield scraper.

Wanting to get back to injector shaving, I opted for daBay and acquired a 60- and a 70- and an 80-year old real Schick (Types I, G, and E respectively). I can say with confidence that if you want a real injector shave, go vintage!

The "Chick" blades are good, and they work in all the vintage injectors.

HTH...
Interesting...I just checked Amazon, and it appears that they no longer carry these. Maybe now that winter is over, demand for windshield scrapers has dropped off. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom