What's new

Help me get started

I love tea, but all I use is tea bags. Meanwhile I grind, roast, and percolate fresh coffee.
I was thinking about doing the same thing with tea, so:
What equipment do I need? How do you like to brew it?

I love tea, but all I use is tea bags. Meanwhile I grind, roast, and percolate fresh coffee.
I was thinking about doing the same thing with tea, so:
What equipment do I need? How do you like to brew it?

Some good loose leaf tea is all you need, along with good water, not straight from the tap or toilet.

A minimal equipment setup would be some kind of in-cup infuser....there are probably a hundred variations or more, but something similar to this: FORLIFE Brew-in-Mug. And a variable temperature water kettle/heater to make it easier to control your steeping temperature depending on the tea you are brewing. Later on you may then want some nice tea pots, etc.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I grind, roast, and percolate fresh coffee.
I was thinking about doing the same thing with tea ...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not grind and roast your tea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Don't overlook the centuries-old solution: gaiwan.

http://www.jas-etea.com/gaiwan-porcelain-lotus-design-150ml-cap/

It's remarkable how easy they are to use, once you get the hang of holding/pouring. And no, you don't have to go through all the "spilling water everywhere" part of it if you don't want to. I use one at the office and don't spill a drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use an ingenuitea pot and microwave my water. I pick up loose leaf tea from adagio. I can't go back to bags. I buy my daily tea in 1lb bags and store it in a vacuum container (same one folks use for coffee) and that seems to work well for me. Give it a shot. You don't have​ to invest a lot of money into it.

Right now I have been enjoying matcha using a yixing pot. Really enjoying it so far! I have a gaiwan on the way for other teas.

Top Bottom