What's new

Looking to upgrade and simplify MTB sprocket setup

I have a Motobecane MTB with 3 sprockets up front. I'd like to simplify and go to one sprocket up front. Any recommendations on what to look at or avoid, or any tips at all, would be appreciated!

2011 HT 400, btw. Suntour XCT crankset. I've read that a simple option is to remove inner and outer sprockets, front derailleur, cable, shifter, and replace the outer sprocket with a bashguard. Maybe put a chainstop on the frame...

Last edited:
Here's what I've done: ordered Race Face 32t sprocket, removed front der and cable. Gonna have to get a left brake lever and eliminate the left shift/brake lever combo. The chain is off and will be resized. Can't wait to throw it back together!

From a little research, it seems to be. The racing crowd likes dropping some weight (1# or so). I'm just a recreational off road cyclist, so that doesn't really matter to me. I suppose I could have just left the setup as is and not use the other two rings up front, but I like the simplicity and aesthetics of it. The only time I might miss the higher gears is when I have it on pavement, but this setup will keep me closer to the wife.

The big concern with going to a single ring up front is dropping the chain, but this particular ring is supposed to be designed to prevent that. We'll see. I have also taken a couple of links out of the chain to keep a bit more tension on it and prevent chain slap.

Yeah. Not much in the way of any sustained climbs or long downhill sections where the smaller (22t) and larger (42t) rings might come in handy. Climbs can be steep, but pretty short at my park. Lots of twisty single track. I can handle all of the uphill sections with this 32 tooth ring up front.

Last edited:
FL, I did exactly that and have no regrets! I'll shoot some pics when I get home from work. Love the less cluttered look.

Got the ring installed up front, but the rear derailleur is giving me problems. Can't seem to get the chain onto the largest cog. May have to replace the rear derailleur. It's seen better days!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Sounds like you just need to adjust the rear derailleur. Good move going to a single front ring. Simplifies things nicely. Pretty soon you'll be dropping the rear cassette too and go single speed!

Thought about it, but that sounds like hard cycling! I've actually ordered a new drive train. Derailleur, chain (It was stretched an 1/8" over 12"!), and rear cassette, in addition to the new chain ring. We'll see what happens. I caught the cage of the rear derailleur on an obstacle at the park awhile back and actually bent it back by hand. Hopefully the hanger is not out of whack. This the the first major work I've done on this bike since purchasing it 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Forgot about this thread, sorry!

FL, if you replace the RD, I've read short cages work best on 1x9s etc.

Flash update giving me problems, will upload pic when that gets figured out.

$IMG_5403.jpg$IMG_5404.jpg

Nice! I see you went with a bashguard, too. I'm going to run without one and hope I don't pay for it later. As for the RD, I read about the short cage derailleurs, but went with the same long cage derailleur. It arrived today. Hope it works. What are you running for a rear cassette? Do you think the N-gear jump stop is vital?

Last edited:
The chain, brake lever/cable, and rear cassette all arrived today, but the shower lost hot water! Kohler parts being installed tonight. Maybe the bike gets attention this weekend...

When I 1st did it, the chain jumped off without the N-gear, but since then a few chain links have been removed, making it tighter- so i'm not sure. I'll try it next time I go t San Felasco Trail. I hear ya though about avoiding N-gears and bash guards if you can.. I think it looks much slicker without all that extra stuff.. which was the point to begin with! To lose parts!

Changed the rear cassette. Changed the rear derailleur. Resized and installed a new chain with a master link. But I think this part needs to be replaced! Ordering two. Anybody else keep spares on hand?

Last edited:

Smoothly shifting through the full 8 sprockets in the rear cassette. Back to the park tomorrow...

Last edited:
Great run through the park today! Flawless smooth shifting. Amazing what a straight hanger will do for you! No chain drop. Still getting a little chain slap through faster runs through rock gardens, but I'm not complaining. I just need to stay behind the handlebars now (Not saying any more about that!)!

Last edited:
Top Bottom