What's new

Pencil Reccomendations

I have been carrying a Sheaffer 100 in matte black and nickel for about a year. I love this pen, however there are times when a fountain pen just won't do. I'm an amateur musician, and sometimes, I just need a pencil.

I'd like to pick up a pencil that it's in a comparable price range, or around $30-$50. I'd prefer it use standard lead refills. It needs to look handsome in a shirt pocket, along side my 100. .5 is ideal, but .7 is acceptable. Built in eraser is a a bonus, but not an absolute necessity.

I know Sheaffer makes a .7 pencil in the 100 line, but I can never find it solo. It's usually paired with a ball-point pen, and I don't really have need of a ball-point. I exclusively use fountain pens or roller balls.

Any ideas? Thanks!

when you said matte black, I thought of Lamy. the 2000 pencil is at the top of you price range (if not a little over), but the Lamy Scribble is within you price range. Both are matte black with palladium colored furniture.

Also with the Scribble, you can get one that takes normal sized .7 mm lead, or one that uses massive 3.15mm lead....the big one might be better for jotting quick music notes....

Both the 2000 and the scribble would look quite nice next to my 100.

That 3mm lead is massive! But I see what you are saying. It's not exactly what I am looking for, but I can remember times when I am trying to use a .5 or .7 clicker and get a note down before we move on. No issues with that one. I might have to re-think it.

Or I could always get 2! ;) The 3mm for music and .7/.5 for general use.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Kuru-Toga.

I picked up the black for myself and an orange one (I think :blush: ) for my niece a few years ago. The rotating tip ensures the lead always provides a nice clean point.

$S55.jpgHow about the Pentel S55

This guy keeps showing up on the recommended links.

http://smile.amazon.com/Pentel-Mech..._sim_op_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0TF0PZ0QKVB5RRK2VK8Z

My dad had this in blue for years. My brother and I got it for him as a birthday/christmas/father's day present maybe 25 years ago. He probably still has it, come to think of it.

The Pentel Kerry has been around since the early seventies. I've had mine in constant use since then. It's $20 give or take a few bucks. It will last a lifetime. It feels substantial in the hand. It has a clean classy look and lots of colors too. Mine has a red finish that is still completely intact.

The Pentel Kerry has been around since the early seventies. I've had mine in constant use since then. It's $20 give or take a few bucks. It will last a lifetime. It feels substantial in the hand. It has a clean classy look and lots of colors too. Mine has a red finish that is still completely intact.

I just talked to my dad this evening. He doesn't use his anymore, mainly due to the fact that he is retired, and doesn't use a pencil on a daily basis anymore. He used it for years, and really loved it.

I think this might be the pencil I get. It meets all the needs I outlined in my original post. It has a cap, so I don't have to worry about lead breakage, tip ending, or holes in my pockets.

I really do appreciate all of the responses! Thank you!

Nice pencil, bassman.

I use a Pentel Graphgear 1000 (0.9mm). Its USP for me? Retractable lead point. Keeps the lead protected from breakage when not in use.

Nice matched set. I bought the red version because I assumed I could never lose anything that red. So far, it has been an accurate prediction. That said, my fountain pens are all much more sedate.

Top Bottom