What's new

Yo ho ho and a glass of rum.

Read this article from the Art of Manliness, one of my favorite websites, about the history of rum. When rum was first distilled it was drank straight, but along the way whisky took over as a favorite sipping drink, and rum basically got a reputation for being used solely as a mixer (there are other reasons why rum got a bad name, it was an interesting article).

After reading, I thought about all the times I have drank rum, it was always mixed with cola or in some kind of mixed drink. Well, tonight I decided to try some Sailor Jerry's as a sipping whiskey, and I must say drinking rum straight is not half bad. It's a burst of sugary sweetness followed by a bit of a bite, but it warms you up very nicely. I won't call sipping rum my number one choice, but it's definitely not a bad choice to have every once in awhile.

Here is a link to the article.
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/12/05/a-mans-primer-on-rum/

Your on your way to some delicious discovery.
I'd suggest trying some good sipping rum further up the scale from Sailor Jerrys. SJ isn't bad, but it's not what I'd call a "sipping" rum. Spiced rums aren't typically very good quality, because the spices can cover up flaws in the liquor. Rum can be as complex as any whiskey. Try some Pyrat, Ron Zacapa 23 or Zaya 12 year.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
tmcgilljr:
Great read and a 'keeper' for sure. Thanx for sharing this informative info!
proxy.php

I learned so much about Rum and French Rhum in particular that I ordered 2 bottles (5ths), of Clément V.S.O.P. Rhum Agricole Vieux

for 'sipping...on the rocks'
proxy.php
w/ a Cuban Cigar ! $Rum.jpg

$Clement French Rhum.jpg

From their Website..;

$Cognac-Brandy-Rum and-Cigar.jpg"Clément V.S.O.P. Rhum Agricole Vieux is aged a minimum of four years in virgin Limousin [oak wine barrels] and re-charred Bourbon casks.

The superb alchemy of natural rum from sugarcane juice matured in a unique variety of the world’s finest oak barrels orchestrated by our Cellar Master gives this exceptional aged rum its brilliant mahogany color, roasted cocoa bean aroma and its illustrious smooth mellow character.

Warm caramel, exotic spice, and dried fruit aromas lead into a soft, silky entry with a moderately off-dry body full of coconut and banana creme brulee, nut, and dried fruit flavors. Finishes with a long fade of charred sugarcane, coconut custard, peppery spices and delicate wet

minerals. An elegant and exotic treat".

Read More: http://www.rhumclementusa.com/vsop.htm

[FONT=&amp]
pirogue-onblack.jpg
[/FONT]
"I [sympathize with you] greatly, but I must be mum, for how could we do without [cane] sugar and [rhum]"? William Cowper

PS I'll tell you what I think of this Rhum after my Order arrives. $UPS Truck.jpg

Last edited:
Recently I rediscovered some premium Dominican rum from Barceló that I bought on vacation there and had forgotten about about.
I poured a little tot and sipped it straight...excellent.

Before I got into Bourbons , all I drank was Rum. My go to was either Pyrate or Zaya. Heading to the Caymans here in a little bit and they have the 23 year old Zacapa in the duty free. I plan on bringing home a coule of bottles of that.

Another vote for Zaya, here! My buddy got me a bottle for my birthday years ago and I really enjoyed it every once in a while. I have seen the Ron Zacapa 23 but haven't bitten the bullet on that yet. I might have to based on the reviews.

My personal preference is to throw a snifter in the freezer for 5-10 minutes and then pour the rum into it. The Zaya has an awesome aroma.

El Dorado 12yr is my current sipping rum. They are usually a great deal in $$$ compared to similarly aged bourbons and WAY cheaper than scotch.

If you ever see Ron de Barrellito, give it a shot. (I know, bad pun.) It's a small batch rum made in Puerto Rico that I don't often see in the continental U.S.

Out with the family last weekend and my mother-in-law opened some eyes when she ordered a Mount Gay on the rocks. I can see sipping a nice rum on a warm summer night. Taking note of all the suggestions...

I went for a Painkiller Friday night, though, with Pusser's dark rum.

Last edited:
Your on your way to some delicious discovery.
I'd suggest trying some good sipping rum further up the scale from Sailor Jerrys. SJ isn't bad, but it's not what I'd call a "sipping" rum. Spiced rums aren't typically very good quality, because the spices can cover up flaws in the liquor. Rum can be as complex as any whiskey. Try some Pyrat, Ron Zacapa 23 or Zaya 12 year.

Try some Ron Zacapa 23 and Havana Club 7 Anejo if you can get your hands on it. Great sipping rums.

Yes, yes and YES!

Aged Rum like most brown spirits can be an excellent drink consumed neat and there are many excellent varieties available. It and Bourbon seem to be the best buy currently. Due to the many locales where it is produced, Rum may be the most varied spirit available.

My current rum:

$rum.jpg

I got hooked on drinking straight dark rum by my uncle who is a merchant marine. Meyer's is his favorite. I like to experiment, and we have a few local liquor superstores with fantastic selection.

Just picked these up last weekend , looking forward to giving them a try.

Also sampled some Bundaberg Rum last week. It was extremely smooth. It is from Australia , sadly we can't get it here in the states.

Top Bottom