What's new

The latest Esquire tells me trouser pleats are back

No pleats for me please. Always felt like it made me look like I was wearing pants to big at the waist and I cinched my belt tight to keep them up causing the pleats.

No thanks. If I'm spending coin on a suit, I want it to be as independent of trend as possible. So I don't own any "skinny" suits and I won't own pleats or something with giant lapels either.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
No thanks. If I'm spending coin on a suit, I want it to be as independent of trend as possible. So I don't own any "skinny" suits and I won't own pleats or something with giant lapels either.

I suspect that, the last 100 years taken as a sample size, pleats spend as much time "in" as flat-fronts. It's the extremes that ought to be avoided.

Pleats make my legs look stubby. When I bought a suit at Brooks Brothers from their 1818 line (half canvassed, decent suit by the way), I had to special order a flat front trouser, since the off the rack 1818 suits have pleated fronts.

I suspect that, the last 100 years taken as a sample size, pleats spend as much time "in" as flat-fronts. It's the extremes that ought to be avoided.

I am sure of that. I would say the same for a sample of the last 30 or 50 years. I am not found of pleats either, but I have trouble saying they have been less in than flat front.

I just can't imagine how adding material and bulk to the midsection can be slimming in any way.

It doesn't, unless you think that making everyone else appear fatter makes you look slimmer.

And for all you "so-and-so"s with cuffs - Go to a tailor and get a real hem put in, you animals!

Top Bottom