What's new

Advice needed: Pilot VP Fine seems a bit dry

Hi
I'm using a new Pilot Capless/Vanishing Point matte black fine, and it is a bit dry on the upstroke. I have another VP fine without this issue. Any thoughts on how to improve the flow in this situation? Could it need to break in?

I'm using the Pilot Black cartridge and I suppose this could be the issue, but it should work fine.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.

I looked at the nib with a magnifier and it looks okay to me, but I may not be seeing something. I changed ink and the behavior is the same. When I begin a letter with an upstroke that line is much lighter than the following strokes.
Hmmm.

I got the info for returning the pen. In the meantime I loaded it with Lamy blue and it's been writing much better. It's still a bit scratchier than my other VP, but the flow has improved. I'm hesitant to send it in as I think it may be typical of some fine nibs....
Question: do these have a break in period since it's gold and prone to slight flexing?
Thanks...

You can always try to brown bag it. Get a brown paper grocery and doodle away. fill a side. See if it helps? The coarseness of the paper can smooth it out.

Top Bottom