What's new

Last night. me. creamo. ohhh.

I almost picked up some at Meijer, but opted for the Pacific Shaving Company All Natural cream instead. It has a wonderful orange fragrance that I just love the scent of. I still haven't tried their caffinated shave cream and balm, though.

I've really started to get more into brushless cremes lately and wouldn't mind trying Cremo one of these days. At worst, they can be used in place of a pre-shave under another soap or cream for extra glide.

I really like Cremo and will frequently add it for uberlather purposes. It really stings the eyes though (head shaver) so you have to be careful

I was thinking about trying it this way since my results alone were good but not sure if good enough. I will probably try again and see if it was an anomaly, like maybe I missed product coverage on that spot.

Finally got the Cremo cream out yesterday. Used it yesterday as a preshave and today as my shave cream with no other prep. It was good in both cases. I'm not sure what happened before, probably lack of prep and/or rushing the shave.

I've never been a fan of brushless creams, but Creamo truly is a step above the competition. Very interesting product and, from the pic, it really is placed in an excellent price point, too.

I agree. I've been a wetshaver for 25 years and have tried scores of creams & soaps from around the world. Cremo is a good product and provides good shaves.

Compares with best? No. But better than cans for sure.

I like Cremo, but if my skin is irritated, I can't use it without making the irritation worse.
Maybe that's what happened to me. Not sure. Last time got a bad shave, good this time. I'm going to have to make more of an effort to be consistent in my prep etc I guess so these differing results aren't so mysterious... :wink:

I have not used Cremo for a good six plus years. I always found the scent a bit off putting...it reminded me of children's aspirin.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I just gave a vintage razor, strop, and a couple of cheap badger brushes to a neighbor. He has been using Cremo with his carts, and loves it, quite impressed with it. I also included a tube of Godrej with a little bit left in it, in his starter kit. I am waiting to hear from him how much better the red tube Godrej is, cause it is lightyears ahead of Cremo IMHO.

I googled Cremo and it's "impossibly slick water activated molecules". According to inventor Mike Boone...

"... the chemical magic comes in the form of a long, slippery, fatty molecule made from coconut oil. It’s a great lubricant that effectively coats the surface of the skin, so that the blade rides over the top of the skin cells, cutting hair follicles at their base, without digging into the space between each cell. When the chemists showed me how this worked, it made perfect sense. Incredibly, most leading brands don’t have the right molecular structure to keep the blade from tugging against the skin, which is what causes the abrasion, the nicks and the cuts.

With Cremo Cream, we use only what is necessary and proven to lubricate the razor’s motion, moisturize the skin, diminish inflammation and kill bacteria. We avoid exotic sounding and expensive trace ingredients which may sound good on the packaging, but don’t Reilly contribute anything (apart from cost!) to the goal of delivering the closest, smoothest, least-irritating shave possible."

So I guess that's the Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, have to see what other products on my shelf have that...

Also found...

"Cremo Cream Shave cream is a detergent based shave cream that is thickened with stearic acid and gums. It is formulated with moisturizers and slip agents like macademia seed oil and perfluoromethylcyclopentane.

The combination of the detergent sodium cocoyl isethionate and stearic acid is quite common among skin cleansers and can be found in Lever, Cetaphil and other brands. These two ingredients comprise the majority of the product.

The ratio of sodium cocoyl isethionate and stearic acid will change how foamy and dense the product is. The more sodium cocoyl istheionate the foamier and more airy the product will be. Higher stearic acid content will make the product denser, less foamy and more creamy.

Because it is detergent based it will not be as strongly affected by hard water as a traditionally saponified oil soap.

Despite the marketing claims, Cremo Cream Shave Cream is not vastly different or unique. What is unique about the product is the inclusion of perfluoromethylcyclopentane. As a perfluorocarbon, it has a low coefficient of friction, making it very slippery on the skin. However the use of perfluorocarbons on the skin has not been thoroughly researched. There are some concerns that perflurocarbons can be an environmental pollutant.

The addition of glycol distearate, polyether-1, hydroxypropyl guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, and macademia seed oil also provide slippery and lubricating properties. Because they are listed higher up on the ingredients list, it’s more likely the slipperiness of the product is due to these ingredients as opposed to the perfluoromethylcyclopentane."

Having spend many years using the same shaving tool and routine (a disposable cartridge razor in the shower) as millions of other guys, I always saw shaving as a universal chore and shaving products as commodities. Now that I've waded into the world of DE safety razors, I've come to realize that process (preparation and procedure), lubrication, blade and razor, combined on my specific face, can create hundreds of shaving scenarios and results. Although it's been a learning experience and I've chopped myself up more than a few times, I've also come to realize that I never had a truly close shave until this year.

I'll admit that I like to spend less on shaving cream (as long as it works) and more on razors. I haven't tried more than a handful of products, but have had very good luck with Cremo in the shower. As it starts feeling a bit dry, I add a few drops of water to my application hand (as opposed to my shaving hand) and rub it into my face. Sometimes I will knock the small amount of cream buildup on the underside of the razor back into my palm for reapplication, but a nickel-sized dollop of cream seems to stay with me throughout a lengthy, multi-direction shave. When I shave at the sink, I try using a lathering product and brush, but always seem to have more success in the shower.

Top Bottom