What's new

My First Pipe Smoke.

Hello Everyone,

Well I have had my MM mini pipe for the past month or so, along with the tobacco I picked up from a local tobacconist. I have been sitting on my first smoke session, because I want to wait for the right time. I am planing on smoking a pipe for relaxation and meditation purposes.

I am planning on smoking my pipe this weekend, as it will be warm enough outside, and the kids will be with the in laws. I feel that if I am using my pipe for the purposes stated above, then I should have the perfect atmosphere for the purposes stated above.

My question is, am I planning this right? Or am I putting a little to much thought into making everything just right, for my first pipe smoking experience? Any opinions on what I can do or how I can fully enjoy my first experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Terrence

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yeah, don't overthink it.

But then there is that Zen thing I get when I go outside with my smoking buddy when the weather is nice...or we are sitting under the front porch roof watching the rain come down and just chillin'.

I think you have a plan.

And welcome to B&B and the Brown Leaf!

If you have any questions there are a ton of people here that are more than happy to help.

My smokin' buddy that seems to like the pipe smoke, and chews on my fingers afterwards. :lol:

proxy.php

Last edited:

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
My question is, am I planning this right? Or am I putting a little to much thought into making everything just right, for my first pipe smoking experience? Any opinions on what I can do or how I can fully enjoy my first experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Terrence

how was your first time having sex? I bet you planned it out pretty well and it was memorable, but I suspect it's not in your top ten of all time list. ;)

Pipe smoking is a lot like that. It will be better once you know what you're doing. The important thing is to just start, and try to enjoy it without too many expectations. Another thing--the mini cob won't yield the best smoke. It will be fine, but it won't be as smooth and relaxed as a larger cob or briar. It's a little to small to be a truly relaxing experience. So, just lower your expectations, pop your cherry (by the way, cherry tobaccos are notoriously mediocre at best), and get through your first smoke the best you can, while trying to enjoy it as much as you can. It will get better. Just relax and ease into it.

how was your first time having sex? I bet you planned it out pretty well and it was memorable, but I suspect it's not in your top ten of all time list. ;)

That's exactly the thought I had when I read the OP!

I'm the same I enjoy my pipe for the sheer pleasure it brings, I enjoy the faff of packing it, lighting it, tamping it, relighting it. A great smoke for me comes from experience of getting the pipe lit in a way in which you get a steady smoke through the whole bowl.

Good luck and don't worry if it doesn't work out great first time, pipes are much more forgiving than women.

Hahahaha. I can't remember that far back, but I think I was by myself! :lol:

After listening to the Pipes Magazine Radio Show podcast from last night, I firmly agree with what Rob Cooper said. The environment in which you enjoy your pipe is directly proportional to the enjoyment you will get. As you get better at your pipe smoking technique, it will only get better. Take your time, slow down, be comfortable and enjoy. Nothing can distract more from your smoking experience than a rushed smoke.

Not that short smokes are bad, but a rushed smoke is rarely an enjoyable experience.

Yeah, that is definitely a great analogy!

If I remember correctly, I too tried to wait and make my first smoke perfect. That seems like the sort of thing I'm likely to do. I know I decided I should start with cheap tobacco and hold off on the good stuff that I had until I had some practice, which was actually the wrong approach...the cheap stuff is difficult to smoke and not very compelling.

The funny thing is my first time having sex was spontaneous and in some pretty awful conditions and was absolutely great, while my well-planned first pipe smoke was merely ok. The taste was good but I couldn't get it to stay lit for more than a few seconds. (I do much better now, I don't expect a one-light bowl but I just about had to light it for every puff, as if I was smoking a green leaf.)

Anyway, the conditions that you prefer for smoking are entirely subjective. I like to smoke once a day on the couch after supper if time permits and things aren't too crazy / I'm not too tired / wife's not having a bad day with asthma/bronchitis/other respiratory issue / I'm not sick, and sometimes in the morning on my way to work. Some people like to smoke no matter what, to help them relax if things are tense. Some people only want to smoke in the conditions you describe. There's no right or wrong. Be comfortable and have fun. Pipe smoking is a nice dessert, not a required meal.

Top Bottom