What's new

Thinking of trying a vintage Pelikan

I'm looking at vintage Pelikans specifically the green-striped 140 and 400x models from the 50's and 60's. Anyone using them or have experience with them?

Speaking of rabbit holes... :001_rolle I own a 140 and a 400nn, and would easily trade/acquire more.

I believe there's at least one member who has more than two (dozen) vintage Pelikans.

I have two 140's. Haven't found a 400 or 400NN for the right price just yet. I love the 140's. On the smaller side but comfortable in the hand. Write beautifully posted and can write with them all day. The nibs are great. Springy and usually smooth. I have an extra fine and an OM. The OM has some sharp corners but it is the pen I love to write letters with. Gives my script some extra pop.

The nibs are great. Springy and usually smooth. I have an extra fine and an OM. The OM has some sharp corners but it is the pen I love to write letters with. Gives my script some extra pop.

I've never used an oblique nib before, but I'm using italic nibs in my Lamy Safari and Pilot 78g. Do you think there would be an easy learning curve going from an italic to an oblique?

It will make you not want anything else...good luck:thumbup1:

That would be awesome as I would like to have a "daily driver" for a pen like I do with my razor (ATT Kronos S2).

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Where do I start? Vintage Pelikans are a huge part of my collection, especially 140s and 400s and with good reason -- the nibs are fantastic, the pens are practically bulletproof, and they're still easy to find.

Right now with the dollar-euro exchange rate you can find a lot of good pens like you mention for around $100 give or take. Green striped ones are the easiest. Look for heavy brassing of the cap ring and clip, cracks, and missing pieces since these are the pieces you'll be stuck with down the road.

If you have any questions or see a particular pen you're interested in feel free to PM me for specific advice, I'm really familiar with almost all models.

Pelikans multiple. They are thereon unique rabbit hole.

As to italics and obliques, that's a whole other conversation. Richard Binders sight has a section on it that I believe sums everything up nicely.

And Nemo is the man on Vintage Pekikans around here. He has help me out a time or twelve.

Top Bottom