What's new

Watch to Shoe Cost Ratio

The only way I was thinking they may be related is that if you spend big on one and not the other it would seem out of balance to me. Like a guy driving a 25k dollar Harley but living in a 5k dollar trailer home. In the winter I usually get fixated on various hobbies/items and start convincing myself in my head that it's OK to spend ____ on something because "it could be worse.. this way more expensive thing exists."

Trying to keep myself balanced and in check before selling body parts on the black market :)

I don't believe that there is, or should be, a correlation between watch and shoe cost. I have 6 watches that range from $5K-$175K , and I have worn a Tourbillon with flip flops, sandals, kicks and penny loafers as well as with dress shoes. Alternatively, I have shoes that range from $50-$1500, and I would wear any of the lower priced ones with any watch, including my Victorinox.

As long as your shoes are clean, polished and relatively current you should look good. Shoes are a foundation garment; watches are just icing.

You will never be considered a slug wearing a crap watch, because no one but the wearer pays any attention to it. But if the shoes look bad, well....those are easily noticed.

$175,000? On a watch???:scared: You, sir, are dedicated to your hobbies.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
$175,000? On a watch???:scared: You, sir, are dedicated to your hobbies.

Here's the thing ... a guy living paycheck to paycheck on a modest income and maybe supporting a family isn't going to spend much on either item, and is well advised to put what money he has into his shoes, not his watch. As affluence gradually increases into the middle class, more can be spent on each, but ... again, I'd suggest more on shoes. Here, I'd much rather spend $500 on shoes and $50 on a watch, you get the idea ... and probably I'm thinking more of $150 AE shoes on sale.

However, as one's affluence really increases, and disposable income needs some serious disposin', the amount you can spend on shoes tops out at around two grand. And here we're talking really high-end stuff, truly bespoke of the best makers. But watches? Golly, twenty grand is easy to spend if you want to, and if you want to pimp out your watch like Fiddy Cent, just add a Zero to that price tag.

I know, I know, for most of us mortals that's spending more on one watch than we'd make in a year or three, but ... those with the disposable income to dispose of, I do not begrudge them their disposing. I may have a different purpose for that money were I the one needing to dispose of it, something along my own personal lines of thrift, industry and support of charity, but "to each his own". For all I know, the guy with the diamond encrusted watch has made millions in profit this year on his business, donated a million to charity, and still has a hankerin' for an iced-out watch. (And then again, there are the collectors, who pay "crazy money" for rare items ... a cheap ballpoint pen is worth a lot more if it's the one Abraham Lincoln used to write the Declaration of Independence.)

Here's the thing ... a guy living paycheck to paycheck on a modest income and maybe supporting a family isn't going to spend much on either item, and is well advised to put what money he has into his shoes, not his watch. As affluence gradually increases into the middle class, more can be spent on each, but ... again, I'd suggest more on shoes. Here, I'd much rather spend $500 on shoes and $50 on a watch, you get the idea ... and probably I'm thinking more of $150 AE shoes on sale.
I have a hard time with that, because I see shoes as basically a disposable item. $500 shoes after I've worn them for a month? Virtually worthless. A nice watch? Can last my lifetime and be passed on to future generations.
Theres also a rule of diminishing returns for th practical aspects of shoes...are $800 shoes more comfortable/ durable than $200 shoes? Not in my opinion.
Although I admit, in fairness a $50 watch an tell time as well as $50,000 one.
but I see a watch as more like a piece of jewelry...try convincing your wife that a $50 engagement ring is as good as a $5000 one ;)

But nice shoes are indeed a fun luxury.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Many good points, but clearly there are different issues represented.

I have some disposable income, but I'm a retired teacher so it's not a bottomless pit. I try to hit the sweet spot on many purchases like shoes. For me that's around $400 - $600. Less gets you a lesser shoe and more quickly hits the diminishing returns stage.

All my life I wore cheap watches - until I got on this forum and fell in love with the Omega Seamaster. I got a nice used Seamaster and it brings me some joy every time I look at it - so that's money well spent. I do like the idea of leaving it to my son. But I also agree that if it's a choice good shoes are an investment in your feet.

Middle class incomes need to make choices - we can't buy top quality on everything. I need good shoes, I like a nice watch. I like cars. I can't afford a mansion. You do what you can.

I have a hard time with that, because I see shoes as basically a disposable item. $500 shoes after I've worn them for a month? Virtually worthless. A nice watch? Can last my lifetime and be passed on to future generations.
Theres also a rule of diminishing returns for th practical aspects of shoes...are $800 shoes more comfortable/ durable than $200 shoes? Not in my opinion.
but I see a watch as more like a piece of jewelry...try convincing your wife that a $50 engagement ring is as good as a $5000 one ;)

$500 shoes should last a decade if not a lifetime.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

To each his own, but ...

... there's no way that $500 shoes, properly cared for, would be worthless after a month. As GWYM said, they'd last a decade or much more. (We're talking about finely crafted footwear here, dress shoes, sturdy leather boots, that sort of thing, goodyear welted or some similar construction that can be resoled repeatedly.)

And yes (again in my opinion) you will notice the difference between a $200 and an $800 pair of shoes or boots in terms of comfort and construction ... will they last 4x as long to equal the "dollars per wear" ratio? Probably not, but the foot-pleasure-per-wear ratio will be much higher.

I did pick up some insight in the thread, so thanks! It makes sense that more people notice your shoes than your watch since your sleeve usually hides the watch. I guess I'll quit worrying about having a 30 dollar watch. Last night I made a strap for it that matches my belt and shoes better. The strap it came with is some sort of fake leather and a chocolate color. I'm kind of on the fence about which strap looks better, but mine fits me perfectly because I made it shorter than the factory one. I've got tiny girl-sized wrists.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Does that look dorky? The copper stuff will darken and turn bronze/brown color. I have bad nickel allergies from working on antique cars and motorcycles without gloves for the past 15 years so I know that copper is one thing that doesn't cause a reaction on my skin. I made the buckle out of 14 gauge household electrical wire. It's hammered to give it rigidity so it won't bend.

I've had way more people notice my watches than my shoes... The only time someone ever says anything about my shoes is with a contrasting lace.

I've determined that the people I encounter don't notice anything I wear unless it's brightly colored or in contrast with 'the norm.' But I still like feeling somewhat balanced when I walk out the door.

At work - Omega Planet Ocean and Loakes 20:1
Casual - Lumtec Auto and Trainers 5:1
Fishing - G-Shock and Lowas 1:3

I'm one of the least fancy people you would meet but I love my Omega - looked at it for about 10 years before buying!

My watch cost Over 50x what my shoes do, but I've worn it every day for the last twenty years and will pass it on to one of my children when I pass on. I've purchased the same style and brand of dress shoes (in black, brown and cordovan) over the same time period. I know I like them and don't feel compelled to change.

The three things, in business, that will be evaluated: shoes (quality, clean, polished), watch (appropriate to attire and showing quality/taste), and your finger nails and hands. So: spend (invest) in these and you can't go wrong. Invest in a timeless classic watch and take care of quality shoes/boots and you are golden - and always look for a true investment. Quality costs you once (and pays you back over time) and junk costs you over, and over, and over - and it speaks volumes too those who understand this principle. My usual attire is a $6k-8k watch with $350-500 footwear - BUT this is NO guide, it is only because I have been blessed to afford both. Don't get hung up on the dollar values - speak volumes by buying wisely. My take on the question.

I'm with you on all points you've listed TH.

The fourth in my line of work is a nice suit... I believe a nicely fitted suit, doesn't have to be flashy, makes a great first impression.

The three things, in business, that will be evaluated: shoes (quality, clean, polished), watch (appropriate to attire and showing quality/taste), and your finger nails and hands. So: spend (invest) in these and you can't go wrong. Invest in a timeless classic watch and take care of quality shoes/boots and you are golden - and always look for a true investment. Quality costs you once (and pays you back over time) and junk costs you over, and over, and over - and it speaks volumes too those who understand this principle. My usual attire is a $6k-8k watch with $350-500 footwear - BUT this is NO guide, it is only because I have been blessed to afford both. Don't get hung up on the dollar values - speak volumes by buying wisely. My take on the question.

It isn't really dedication to a hobby. I am merely at a point in my life where I am able to afford uniqueness, and that comes with a price. I can afford to indulge in a piece of true mechanical artistry that is made by one person over a 3 month period of time. That, to me, is thrilling. Three of my watches are one-offs, including a Tourbillon. I don't brag about them and they are not showy. They just mean something to me. Only watch geeks know what they are; to everyone else its a pretty demure timepiece. When I snorkel, I wear a $75 Victorinox.

The Tourbillon is the only such watch made that does NOT have a hole in the dial. The hole is the reason many buy a Tourbillon (so that others can see it and say WOW). That is not what I am about.

My father once told me that everyone spends, on average, the same percentage of their income on food, cars, watches, etc. That has always stuck with me. Those on a more limited budget would be well-advised to buy the best shoes, suit, etc., that they can afford. There is no substitute for quality. As an example, I have 3 pairs of dress shoes--all Ferragamo. They are 17 years old. They look new. I bought them at Nordstrom Rack for 15% of their retail price.

Shop smart.....

It isn't really dedication to a hobby. I am merely at a point in my life where I am able to afford uniqueness, and that comes with a price. I can afford to indulge in a piece of true mechanical artistry that is made by one person over a 3 month period of time. That, to me, is thrilling. Three of my watches are one-offs, including a Tourbillon. I don't brag about them and they are not showy. They just mean something to me. Only watch geeks know what they are; to everyone else its a pretty demure timepiece. When I snorkel, I wear a $75 Victorinox.

The Tourbillon is the only such watch made that does NOT have a hole in the dial. The hole is the reason many buy a Tourbillon (so that others can see it and say WOW). That is not what I am about.

My father once told me that everyone spends, on average, the same percentage of their income on food, cars, watches, etc. That has always stuck with me. Those on a more limited budget would be well-advised to buy the best shoes, suit, etc., that they can afford. There is no substitute for quality. As an example, I have 3 pairs of dress shoes--all Ferragamo. They are 17 years old. They look new. I bought them at Nordstrom Rack for 15% of their retail price.

Shop smart.....

Well said. Now that I think about it, it makes sense. I'll see a $600,000 Lamborghini driving down the road and admire it, and I'd be perfectly fine with dropping that kind of money on the car if I had the cash. Meanwhile, my fiance sees it as a waste of money. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It isn't really dedication to a hobby. I am merely at a point in my life where I am able to afford uniqueness, and that comes with a price. I can afford to indulge in a piece of true mechanical artistry that is made by one person over a 3 month period of time. That, to me, is thrilling.

And that, IMHO, is just fine.

It all boils down to the individual: his desires, his passions, his financial situation and life situation. That no-hole Tourbillon sounds pretty sweet, it is obviously "worth the price" to you, and you can afford it. I could not afford a watch anywhere near as expensive ... I own a couple $300+ watches, and that, for me, seems "almost excessive". I've spent more on a fountain pen than on a watch ... and lots of people out there would think that spending more than $5 on a pen is completely nuts.

Retail prices, mine are about 1:1 ratio. Usually between $100-200 each. I like them to look good and have decent quality while still being affordable. In about ten years if I'm in management and no longer have to pay for infant care, I'll up my game.

Top Bottom