What's new

Golf 71 Rasierapparat

I have a Golf 71 razor from Germany....Unique locking flip-top mechanism seems to work well.I haven't been able to shave with it however,seems it does not take a standard SE blade,nor the odd Feather SE blade...Any of you shavers know ??...proprietary blade only ? http://postimg.org/gallery/hq406r70/

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice find! I do not own one myself or tried one. I did see that someone mentioned that a double edge blade should fit in the razor.

OK !...I saw it listed as a SE razor...I'll give it a shot with a nice DE blade now..Thanks for the info !

Last edited:
Surprisingly good! I hope you enjoy it ... I find it turns a DE blade into an SE blade in more ways than the obvious, the very small blade exposure actually translating as a firm and well held blade, much akin to the feeling of a GEM SE blade when shaving.

Fun razor!

Tried the Golf 71 this morning with a fresh red label Gillette SS blade...The razor feels light in general,but the head feels really light...You can hear each and every whisker "pop" as it's mowed down...You have to be careful with this German razor,it shaves very sharply,but I just took normal ,slow even strokes,and the shave turned out very smooth with no problems at all.A very close shaving razor for me...

I'm not malocchio, but I recently acquired a Golf 71 and shaved with it this morning, loaded with a new Personna Med Prep blade.

It definitely feels like a single edge rather than a DE. With its light weight, stamped plated brass sheet metal construction and plastic handle it rather reminded me of a Gem Featherweight.

The Personna blade was clearly not as sharp as a Gem stainless SE blade. I noticed some slight tugging and harshness. As far as aggressiveness it was in the middle of the scale, about like a 1912 (or Gillette NEW, to compare it to a DE).

The blade is held slightly curved and closer to perpendicular to the handle than most SE's, so the ideal blade angle was somewhat counter-intuitive. especially with it feeling like a Featherweight in the hand. The head is slightly angled, so it isn't like shaving with a DE. It took me a few strokes to figure it out.

$golf1.jpg

End result was a BBS with no irritation and one solitary weeper. Nonetheless, it's not going to replace my Gems and Ever-Ready's.

--Bob

Last edited:
Thanks you Bob. Sounds like it is a curiosity or interesting thing to have than a nice, well built vintage razor like some of the GEM and Every Ready.

These Golf razors are a fun razor to use, but I wouldn't recommend them as a replacement for the popular SE razors. Though they are much harder to find so worth picking up if you run across one.

Thanks for your comments gentlemen. And apologies for my terrible terrible writing; particularly on the previous post. I wish the edit options was there.

My Golf 71 arrived today:
588FCE6A-8CBB-47E4-9F33-9D249AE210AE.jpeg
DDD16AF8-4782-4D2F-8DFD-D49685E0925A.jpeg
42942C53-55B6-480C-A118-49E92BB0E638.jpeg
E53EA84B-666A-48F6-9414-CC34FE5BCE84.jpeg
556A0BB6-4606-4E7B-9D3B-36F28371C4C6.jpeg

This razor has had a legendary kind of status for me since I first saw it discussed as an SE that took DE blades a few years ago.
The other razors I know of like this are the two models of Shakesharp, the Rocnel P and the Focus Dynamic.

The Shakesharps are truly magnificent razors - incredible shavers and good looking too.
The Rocnel P and Focus Dynamic both take half-blades and are quite mild but they have radical designs which make them very interesting.

As others point out the Golf 71 looks like a GEM Pushbutton gone crazy so I wonder how it will shave for me?

Top Bottom