What's new

Awesome "found" stone passaround signup

Third and last test:

The Black Diamond mentioned in the last write-up and a Fromm. Both of these razors had their hollow edges jointed and then bevels brought back on Coticule. Dilucot to clear water and then taken to the Kuro for two slurries.
HHT off both razors post stopping was solid 4's and edges looked clean and uniform under 100Xmag, only a few minor distractions evident.
The shave from these two razors was very good, plenty sharp but not quite as smooth as when using the synthetic stone progression,1K,3K,4K,8K, prior to the Kuro, but somewhat faster using the Coticule.

This method would be good for those that have a Coti and want to finish with a different character to the edge.
I also think that if I had worked the Coti edge refinement say under running water before I took these edges to the Kuro that they would have gained the smoothness of the other methods.
I would say this would be a very good two stone solution for those wanting to limit the # of stones they hone on.

The last edge I honed on this stone was a complete edge restoration for a new straight razor shaver. He had delivered to me a Solingen Krusius Brothers Demon #64. This razor was found in a small antique store in London and came to me with and edge badly micro-chipped and full of bad steel.
I bread-knifed the blade to get to good steel and profile the edge and then my usual synthetic progression to set the bevel and refine on Naniwas 1K,3K,4K,8K.
Two slurries on the Kuro diluting to very light slurry with very light pressure to finish. This edge delivered HHT3-4 off the stone and HHT4 post stropping= Flax linen and Horse butt.
The shave was totally forgiving, not a hint of being tedious, 97% BBS and a .4 on the Alum test. Post shave face feel great, no warming or exfoliation feel whatsoever. Edge could have been 1 notch sharper but I think would have sacrificed the wonderful comfort, and for my beard this was not necessary.
This edge turned in the most comfortable shave of all the edges that I was able to produce using the Kuro.

IMHO this little Kuro makes for a fine finisher, easy to figure out and use, turning in very consistent results and creating edges that can be as sharp as I need and also very very comfortable when that is what you might be after.
The ability to change the character of the edge, with repeatable results, depending on how you manage the finishing techniques, reflects on the stones abilities.

Again I would like to thank Eric for providing this opportunity to test his stone and to all the other testers who worked diligently testing and writing up their findings.

FrankC

Sorry for the delay guys!,

here is my final observation:

In my opinion the tested one was finer than any thüri slate i got so far, with water only shave was comparable to Gokumyo 20k, so the perfekt natural stone for people who like that super sharp feeling in the face. Not for me.

With a little slurry this Kuro Slate gave me really good shaves, comfortable smooth, as it should be. I am not afraid to say, that i would prefer it over a thüri. Just because the tested stone was able to create an superb edge after Naniwa Chosera 5k in no time at all, and finished with a slight slurry the edges are just mellow! As i like speedy hones, this one is just average, but more fast then every thüri i tryed so far.

Conclusion is, i still prefer other hones for the final finish, but this one was nearly just as good as my other alternatives, congrats Eric, this is a really good one.!
Why i don`t love this stone is just because the sharpening feelings are a little strange.

I send the test stone to Peter about 2 weeks ago, still got no response, we got little walkout problems with our postage services right now, and i hope anything is ok.

Greets Sebastian.

Thanks for the final write-ups guys! Very nice, thorough testing, much appreciated by all I'm sure! I know I have my little stash of private Kuros and they aren't going anywhere! Lol. Hopefully the postal service on the other side of the pond will get their tails in gear! The U.S. stone has one or more participants to hit and then it will be PIF'ed.

He had to go on a deployment and wanted to just send the stone back, so I told him to just hang onto the stone until he gets back - that way he gets a chance to try it out. He is the last guy in the passaround line and then the stone will be given to one of our participants.

Finally found a few minutes to play around with it tonight. I tried it out with two of my previously sharpened razors (Gold Dollars I bought for practice) and a Genco that was sharpened by someone else. None of them have been sharped in a long while so I wanted to see about bringing the edge up on them. The Genco had been done on film and the Gold Dollars had been finished on Thuris. My first impression is that the feedback from the stone is wonderful and for a beginner, it gives excellent feedback on whether it is doing the job or not based on my pressure application or lack thereof. If I have time in the morning, likely not, I will try to get a shave in.

I had what I consider an odd thing happen to one of the edges that I made with that stone. This was on one of my 01 razors. At the time it was the best edge of the three that I honed with the stone. After only a few shaves the razor got harsh and on inspection at 100x it was evident that there had been a bit of a wire edge that had broken off in several places. The 'chips' were very shallow but wide. I talked to C FrankC about it and he told me that a lot of people suggest not using linen on edges from Thuri type stones. I'm thinking that mabey finishing on water only contributed to forming a wire or fin edge.

The edge had shaved very nicely when I had first honed it. Anyone else experiencing longevity issues with edges off of this stone?

Last edited:
I haven't so far, I have a couple that have seen about 25+ shaves now. However, I don't use linen either. The harshest thing I use is some old worn denim I cut to use as my "linen" because the linen seemed too harsh to me.

I haven't so far, I have a couple that have seen about 25+ shaves now. However, I don't use linen either. The harshest thing I use is some old worn denim I cut to use as my "linen" because the linen seemed too harsh to me.

I've enjoyed the edges as well and haven't noticed any longevity issues so far.

It could well have been my use of linen, or in my case hemp, but this does not happen with my edges from other finishers. I'm trying to understand what is different about a Kuro or Thuri type edge.

Can someone who doesn't want to participate in the PIF maybe organize the giveaway for me? I don't have home internet at the moment and sometimes cant get to it for a week or more. Someone help me out please!

Can someone who doesn't want to participate in the PIF maybe organize the giveaway for me? I don't have home internet at the moment and sometimes cant get to it for a week or more. Someone help me out please!

I'd do it for you but I would definitely like to participate in the PIF.

I can't pick a winner because I really want to be considered for the PIF but I'll try to make it easy for someone else.

I read through the thread quickly and came up with the following:

U.S. List:

Stated that they wanted to be included
--------------------------------------------
IN - 1.) GolFisHunt - MI
IN - 2.) newb - NY
IN - 3.) TimS - RI
IN - 7.) joamo - NE
IN - 8.) bluesman7 - CO
IN - 9.) dfoulk - AZ

Abstained to give someone else a chance
----------------------------------------------
NOT IN - 5.) SliceOfLife - PA

Didn't find an answer in the thread either way
----------------------------------------------------
- 4.) dundak - VT
- 6.) Chaloney - FL
- 10.) CFrankC - WA
- 11.) JBjunior - AK
- 12.) buffalo - SC

Some stated that they are in, some stated not in and others didn't specify. I read through it quickly so I could have easily missed someone's response. If you wanted in and you're not shown as IN on the list please let us know in this thread.

I am in. I also currently have the stone. Ideally, an answer will be had by this Saturday otherwise it may be "a while" until the winner receives the stone.

U.S. List (updated):

Stated that they wanted to be included
--------------------------------------------
IN - 1.) GolFisHunt - MI
IN - 2.) newb - NY
IN - 3.) TimS - RI
IN - 7.) joamo - NE
IN - 8.) bluesman7 - CO
IN - 9.) dfoulk - AZ
IN - 10.) CFrankC - WA
IN - 11.) JBjunior - AK

Abstained to give someone else a chance
----------------------------------------------
NOT IN - 5.) SliceOfLife - PA

Didn't find an answer in the thread either way
----------------------------------------------------
- 4.) dundak - VT
- 6.) Chaloney - FL
- 12.) buffalo - SC

I am in. I also currently have the stone. Ideally, an answer will be had by this Saturday otherwise it may be "a while" until the winner receives the stone.

Unfortunately, we don't have someone who's volunteered to pick a winner yet. I tried to gather the info to make it as easy as possible for someone else to do this however the majority of us (myself included) would like to be considered for this PIF. I guess if someone steps up and helps up pick then we're good, otherwise I suppose the wait is what it is. It doesn't bother me as I don't mind being patient. As the old saying goes... good things come to those that wait.

Top Bottom