What's new

Tallow Sandalwood Recommendations

I have been using Art of Shaving's tallow sandalwood shave soap and I love it! I'm looking for a replacement though since it's obviously going to be running out at some point thanks to P&G. Does anyone have any recommendations that would be comparable? I ordered "Instinct" from the StropShoppe and was not a fan of the scent at all. The musk in the blend is far too strong and grossly overpowers the cedar and sandalwood. Any good ones out there?

Haslinger is a fantastic soap. The scent is more subdued than AOS but it is an incredible lather. I'm sure you're aware already, but there is AOS tallow soaps available by an eBay vendor. I bought three at a fair price.

Yeah, I got my puck from the eBay vendor as well, but would love a soap still being made. I'll take a look at Haslinger, thanks for the info! I love how strong the scent with AoS is, but lather is definitely the more important factor!

Yeah, I got my puck from the eBay vendor as well, but would love a soap still being made. I'll take a look at Haslinger, thanks for the info! I love how strong the scent with AoS is, but lather is definitely the more important factor!

I can assure you that the lather from Haslinger is excellent. The pucks are smaller and I use up a puck in about 30 days with daily shaving. This soap is very affordable, especially when ordered in bulk (like 10 pucks).

Although not a tallow soap, Proraso Sandalwood and Shea Butter soap has a very earthy and vivid scent. I also find this soap to lather quite well.

Haven't tried it yet, but have a tub of CRSW Select Sandalwood coming this week. The scent has an excellent reputation, and, from using CRSW Lavender and Vetiver, the soap provides an excellent shave.

Haven't tried it yet, but have a tub of CRSW Select Sandalwood coming this week. The scent has an excellent reputation, and, from using CRSW Lavender and Vetiver, the soap provides an excellent shave.

Never tried this one but the reviews have really captured my interest.

I grabbed a couple of AOS tallow pucks on ebay..they are sublime.

I would recommend Haslinger Schafmilch, Cold River Sandalwood, and some of the RazoRock tallows (XXX, Freedburg). I also like Stirling and just cracked open Tiki 1920 Barbershop...very nice.

I can't compare the Sandalwood scent of Hasliger to CRSW select or Mystic Waters, but I can tell you the performance of all 3 are top tier, and you would be well served by any of them.

Well, Hasliger's product page on here shows it has tallowate, but other pages show it as a glycerin base which hasn't worked well for me in the past. I'm gonna be ordering CRSW and giving that a go. Thanks for all your insight everyone!

Any pros and cons to the above? :)

All of the ones I mention I believe to be as good of a shave as the old AoS tallow but they do have differences.

Haslinger lathers like a boss. Subtle scent.
MW works great for me. Some people have issues. I don't. MW is sublime on my face and I really enjoy using it. The scents are incredible. They are priced nicely.
I haven't used the QCS sandalwood personally but I have worked through several other scents and the shaves were consistent and consistently awesome. I find QCS up there with Mike's and B&M and it reminds me of those. Great shaves. Great post shave. Great skin care.
Haven't used the CRS.

I will say the new AoS is nothing to sneeze at. It's a great veggie soap. The scent is even more pure as it lacks the tallow smell of the old tallow AoS. But it is expensive. That said -- you could buy a bar of Mike's unscented or something along those lines and grate a new puck of AoS with the puck of Mike's and create a sandalwood with tallow in it and stretch the cost of the AoS out. You could also just buy a dozen old stock AoS and be set with enough stock to get sick of AoS tallow sandalwood. It won't go bad or anything. I've got pucks of AoS tallow I've had in a box in my closet for 5+ years and the scent is still strong. It's not going to go bad or anything.

I would second the motion that AOS current sandalwood is nearly as good as the old formula.
As alternatives, how about DR Harris tallow sandalwood?
proxy.php

Well, Hasliger's product page on here shows it has tallowate, but other pages show it as a glycerin base which hasn't worked well for me in the past. I'm gonna be ordering CRSW and giving that a go. Thanks for all your insight everyone!

Every Haslinger puck I've received has tallow listed in the ingredients.

I would second the motion that AOS current sandalwood is nearly as good as the old formula.
As alternatives, how about DR Harris tallow sandalwood?
Me too. P&G actually did a very good job with the veggie reformulation. But there will always be those out there that poo-poo it purely because the original formula was taken away.

Great photo BTW!

But if you must have tallow, I can endorse Haslinger. The puck is somewhat small, but the lather is great.

Me too. P&G actually did a very good job with the veggie reformulation. But there will always be those out there that poo-poo it purely because the original formula was taken away...

Or because they are P&G owned. :blink: Personally the SC & Soaps are as good a value as any other Top-Tier Soap/ Cream Manufacturer... regardless of Ownership.

Why not just stock up on the AOS sandlewood? It's about the best sandlewood soap I've found. You can get it way cheap here http://www.haircareandbeauty.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?manufacturer=357 If you order 3 it's $12 a puck which is about as cheap as you'll ever find it. I've seen these go on Ebay for $40 to $50 a puck when they were more scarce.

I just ordered another 3 pucks to add to the two I have put aside so I'll have it for a very long time.

Other members have ordered from this site before and said that it's the real thing.

If I couldn't get the AOS soap anymore then I'd pick up more of the Phoenix Artisan and Cold River Select sandlewood soaps. The Phoenix is a softer sandlewood scent that I really enjoy while the Cold River is more authentic to true sandlewood oil. Kind of like the AOS but with more of a sharper note to it.

All three are excellent but the AOS one is my favorite sandlewood.

Catie's bubbles makes a sandlewood that's very close in scent to the Phoenix one and it's a very good soap as well but my preference performance wise it to the Phoenix version.

Top Bottom