What's new

Advice: Allen Edmonds vs Red Wing

Hello all, new member here looking for some advice on my first pair of higher end shoes (other than Docs lol).

I'm looking specifically at chukkas. Right now I'm between RW's Beckman Chukka, and AE's Gobi and Bellevue.

Bellevue is the leader so far, but I'm wondering about it's longevity. Since there's a lot of comfort materials/foam in the shoe and insole, I'm wondering if it'll wear our quicker than a simply all leather shoe like the Gobi. Anyone have any long term experience with any of these models? How does the Othello rubber sole hold up? I'm an aviator so I will be outdoors a fair amount. I'm also somewhat heavy footed. The RWs seem thicker and like they might hold up longer.

Since I'm fairly new to all this and don't know where the experts are, I'll be posting my question on a couple other sites as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I cannot speak about the Bellevue or Gobi, but do own the Beckman. Solid boot, heavy leather uppers and vibram soles (good for outdoors). Sturdy boot, but comfortable, they should last a very long time. Can be re-soled too.

All are quality boots, but, I am not sure the Gobi is in the same class as the other two.

I'm on my way to try some Beckmans on actually. They had to order my size. One of the selling points for any of these was definitely the recrafting.

You're saying the Gobi isn't quite up to snuff? How so?
I'm not a fan of the only color they come in actually, but seemed like that Dainite would last longer than the Othello sole

I'd rank the Bellevue last. Foam insole, a rubber sole like that, they're more built for "comfort" (short term) than longevity. Do you like it because of the brouging? If so see if you can pick up some of their Bleecker streets on clearance/seconds.

I haven't handled the Gobi, but if looking for a rubber sole, I prefer that Dainite sole to the half-rubber lug sole on the Beckman chukka. The Beckmans may be a bit more robust in both leather and construction. Comes down to personal preference between the two in color and usage.

EDIT:VVVV Yeah, if your concern is a shoe that will stand up to the elements a bit, of the three the Beckman is the clear winner.

Last edited:
For your intended uses, I'd go with the Red Wings. True work shoes vs. more of a fashion boot from AE.

To be honest I liked it because it was the one that fit the best, and that includes consideration for break in. I am indeed worried about all the foam and whatnot killing the longevity though. I could care less about the broguing. A solid non leather sole is definitely a must.

The Gobi fit as well as the Bellevue with a little more narrow toebox that was not great but could be bearable, is simply leather no foam to break down, but comes in only one color that won't do.

I agree with you both that the Red Wing strikes me as being the tougher shoe. Unfortunately they've been the worst fit of the 3, (tried the Beckman 6" as well, same results). They're very narrow, so that a 13 fits good in the width (considering break in) but is too long, and a 12 is about right in length but too tight in the width at the arch. That may loosen up with break in and stretching but the other problem I had was the heel cup was too big. So while the front was too tight, I was coming out of the shoe in the heel with each step. Unfortunate.

So the Bellevue is still the front runner. Anyone have any suggestions outside these models?

Two bits: I have several AE shoes and boots, and also several RWings Heritage series boots. I bought the Beckman 1 size down from my normal and they felt a bit snug in width....for about 3 days. Then? Perfection - in width, the length is a bit long. Then I bought the RW Ice Cutter 2 sizes down - sung all around at first, then 3 days later they were and have been perfect. Awesome boot. I also bought the Heritage Engineer boot at the same time as the Ice Cutters - size is 1 size down from my usual. These, too, are really awesome fit and comfort. I would do the Beckman all over without any reservation, but would work with an RW dealer to hit the size just right. Two bits for you to noodle on m

I own the beckmans and am into my second year in them. They looked like boats when I first bought them, but quickly creased into a lovely shape. My wife hated them to begin with but often remarks how nice they look now.

Very sturdy leather that can take a beating. They shrug off bad weather and I've never had an issue with salt stains unlike my beautiful calf shoes. The sole is very grippy. The two eyelets make them easy to get on and off.

Love them. In fact, I'm just starting to shop for a black pair of 8" boots to accompany them.

I have the Beckman in cigar colour and I really like them. I never thought of them being a chukka as I really don't care for that style. Maybe I am not reading your post correctly.

I have the Beckman in cigar colour and I really like them. I never thought of them being a chukka as I really don't care for that style. Maybe I am not reading your post correctly.

They sell a Beckman chukka in addition to the "regular" boot style. Same boot essentially just with a differently cut upper.

I have the bellevues. I would not use them for manual labor. They look amazing with chinos or nice jeans though! They even look good with wool dress slacks and sport coat. I love mine for wearing to work when I am not more dressed up.

Top Bottom