What's new

Safety Razor of the Month, March 2015 - Gillette NEW

I hope I am not too late to this party. I am down to one lonely New LC.

$photo.jpg

Since I do see a good variety here, I did have a question. Are all News LCs essentially the same head? Are there some that are more or less aggressive?

Since I do see a good variety here, I did have a question. Are all News LCs essentially the same head? Are there some that are more or less aggressive?

IME the US made LC NEWs are slightly more aggressive. The UK made LCs are a bit less aggressive, and smoother. I do have a silver version of the UK LC NEW and find it a bit more aggressive than the gold plated version. Maybe because the silver one is an early model (I think).

My Canadian LC is the mildest ''regular'' LC NEW I have tried. Perhaps even milder than the UK Flat Bottom.

The RFB is my favorite, best combination of aggressiveness and smoothness, hands down.

But if we're considering only the regular LC NEWs, my favorite is the American made one.

Good luck in the search.

Tonight's shave was my first with the NEW DeLuxe Belmont? 17mm. What a great shave it was. This is one hefty razor. A recent purchase after searching a good while, I took a chance and it was close, but I won the auction. Notice that the end of the handle was modified with the end from a Tuckaway handle. I didn't mind that it was different but was not expecting it to be finished as good as it actually is. The Seller just stated a previous owner had modified it. Has anyone ever seen a handle like this before? The overall condition IMO was that this razor just gave it's first shave. The only finish issues is a small crack at the top of the handle which appears to have been epoxied, and on the bottom of the head there are quite a bit of marks from being kept on a razor stand. No SN on this one. Here are some Pics.

$Gillette NEW Deluxe 17mm (6).jpg$Gillette NEW Deluxe 17mm (12).jpg$Shave of the Day 3-15-15 (2).jpg

Good luck in the search.

Tonight's shave was my first with the NEW DeLuxe Belmont? 17mm. What a great shave it was. This is one hefty razor. A recent purchase after searching a good while, I took a chance and it was close, but I won the auction. Notice that the end of the handle was modified with the end from a Tuckaway handle. I didn't mind that it was different but was not expecting it to be finished as good as it actually is. The Seller just stated a previous owner had modified it. Has anyone ever seen a handle like this before? The overall condition IMO was that this razor just gave it's first shave. The only finish issues is a small crack at the top of the handle which appears to have been epoxied, and on the bottom of the head there are quite a bit of marks from being kept on a razor stand. No SN on this one. Here are some Pics.

View attachment 556945

Beautiful NEW Deluxe! I like the modified handle. It may not be OEM Gillette, but it is unique.

Second shave with the 17mm Deluxe today. Fine shave, I'm really liking it. Here are my NEW's so far, searching for a #77.
Canadian Goodwill LC, US Goodwill LC, British LC open ball end, LC, SC, 15mm Deluxe, 17mm Deluxe Belmont.

$Gillette NEW Collection (5).jpg

Last edited:
I have one of these razors that I use along with my Merkur. It is gold plated with a chrome handle the head is a bit worn of it's gold plating. would it benefit me to have this "New Gillette " re-plated or is it fine as is?

Top Bottom