What's new

Another newb question. paper bleeding

So I have officially switched to using my fountain pen for at home. Well today I took it into work, and my job entails me writing on reports and addressing changes that might need to happen, or jotting down notes for future reference. I also do a lot of signing. Well like most offices we primarily use computer and then print the pages we need on regular printer paper. Well everytime I use my fountain pen it bleeds through the page and marks the pages underneath, or if I turn the page over I can see the ink on through the paper.

Is there a decent pen & ink combo that you fine gentleman might recommend? Or do I need to go back to the ballpoint?

Thanks!

For reference I am using this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EUM9UC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I also bought a Zebra V301 fountain pen at the local walgreens

I am getting the same effect with both pens

I would try a drier ink, such as Pelikan 4001 line of ink. I am sure if you google dry fountain pen ink that you will find other options.

In addition to a drier ink you might want to try a narrower nib. A fine or extra fine nib will reduce the line but that will require another purchase. You could try writing with the nib turned upside-down.

Pelikan 4001 series ink and iron galls such as Rohrer & Klinger Salix or document inks are on the dry side. Stay away from fast drying inks with cheap paper. Short of buying a pen with a fine nib, you might try to tame the flow yourself.

Hold the pen like a piece of chalk as if you were writing with the nib upside down (so the feed is facing up).

Place your index finger on the feed (to avoid bending the nib too much) and push the nib gently into the paper. The nib should be pretty parallel to the page. The idea here is to slightly bend the nib tines closer together. It does not take much pressure to do so. Too much and you can ruin your nib.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Cheap paper is the bane of fountain pen users. Trying to adjust the nib to relieve bleeding is not really a solution I would recommend to anyone, especially a newcomer.

It's possible to find some pen/ink combination that might help but I'm thinking it's more of a paper problem. I see this all the time at work when I use a wet writing pen, regardless of the nib size. Cheap and recycled paper is garbage and you just may need to carry a ballpoint.

For copies I am going to write on I often feed the machine my own paper, but I also know this isn't always possible.

My admin always stocks cheap paper pads. I recently ordered Ampad Gold Fibre pads and couldn't be happier.

My preference is to use the pen and ink I really want to use, and upgrade the paper to avoid bleed through.

You are experiencing cheap paper. While growing up my father worked in an office supply business, and even then there were different qyualities of paper, some for specific purposes. Now most of the paper available for the mass market is designed for copiers and printers. Lazer printers use a wax base dry ink which is literally melted onto the paper for the image, inkjet printers use ink, which will show bleeding on some papers to some degree, they are applied under pressure, so less is needed and do not bleed as bad as a fountain pen might.

Look for a paper with a slicker finish, your ink trail will not dry as quickly as with copy paper, but that's why they make blotters. For a relatively lower cost good fountain pen paper, I have found the HP papers better than the no name or big box brands.. Rhodia and Clairfontane are good but a bit more expensive.

Top Bottom