What's new

Need a little help

Just got my first straight the other day. It was used when I bought it but of course it was advertised as "shave ready". I'm new to this and obviously am not real confident in my stropping technique. I've shaved with it twice and it totally burned my face but I did manage to get the job done. I'm wondering if I should send it off to have it honed and freshened up so I know that it is sharpened properly and then use that as a basis for my sharpening? Any thoughts or opinions?

Couldn't hurt. Would you be comfortable divulging where you purchased the razor? Some places are known for actually prepping the blades. Factory edges are not shave ready.

One of our members may be willing to inspect it and give you a touch up for the price of postage.

It's a Hart Steel industry picked up on eBay. Just didn't wanna say anything in case the guy I bought it from is a member. Don't want him thinking I'm calling him a liar because I'm not. I'm sure it's got a lot more to do with my inexperience and lack of anywhere to learn aside from YouTube videos.

Do what I did two weeks ago and get the blade professionally honed. There are too many variables to newcomers like us - technique, lather, blade angle, pressure, preparation etc.

I found I could get nowhere until I knew for sure that the razor was guaranteed shave ready. It was not only honed, but also shave tested before being sent back to me.

Good luck!

Just got my first straight the other day. It was used when I bought it but of course it was advertised as "shave ready". I'm new to this and obviously am not real confident in my stropping technique. I've shaved with it twice and it totally burned my face but I did manage to get the job done. I'm wondering if I should send it off to have it honed and freshened up so I know that it is sharpened properly and then use that as a basis for my sharpening? Any thoughts or opinions?
Where are you located?

Who did you use for this kind of service rob?

I'm not sure where in the world you are as I'm in the UK? I made a fantastic discovery in Gary Haywood (b&b user name: gary haywood) who honed, helped and spent a lot of time guiding me. My write up on what happened is here, along with his website address:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/446595-UK-Honing-Hero!

If you're elsewhere in the world, there are so many people on this forum who would gladly offer to help you. Just post a request on the honing sub-forum.

Congrats on the new razor, and welcome! If you're able to take Obiwan up on his offer, you can't go wrong. David puts a benchmark edge on a razor. Good luck!

Top Bottom