What's new

electric kettle review

I've decided to explore the world of loose leaf tea, and I thought a nice electric kettle would be a good way to start my journey. I had an Ebates payment coming my way, so I splurged and went for the Bona Vita variable temp gooseneck kettle, like the one seen here. http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Vari...5996&sr=8-1&keywords=bonavita+electric+kettle

I wish I had read the reviews closer. The current release of this kettle has a faulty temperature sensor that shuts the kettle off at random times when you are trying to heat water. Plus, my kettle won't hardly reach boiling temp at all, no matter how long I wait. Other reviewers are having the same problems, and some are on their third replacement kettle and still having problems.

For what is supposed to be a high dollar luxury item, this kettle has been a total disappointment. Don't be fooled by the good looks, it is a piece of junk in its current version. I would have been better off with a cheapie. Gonna try to get a replacement or my money back.

I almost pulled the trigger on one of those at a store but thought I should read reviews first.
Good luck returning it!

I have used this kettle for a while and not encountered problems with the sensor. Somewhat by design it does take longer to reach the target temperature, as cuts back the heat so that it does not overshoot. When temperature hold is engaged, the temp will drop back a few degrees before the heating element kicks in again. Which may explain the appearance of barely being able to reach boiling, its maximum target.

For example when I set mine to 205 F the rate of hearing will start slowing at 197 or so, them once 205 is reached it will stop. When the temp drops back to 203 the water is reheated again to 205, and this cycle repeats until the kettle is lifted off its base.

For boiling water the non-temperature-variable kettle is a better choice as it just adds heat until stream is produced. Getting there a bit faster.

Last edited:
I have used this kettle for a while and not encountered problems with the sensor. Somewhat by design it does take longer to reach the target temperature, as cuts back the heat so that it does not overshoot. When temperature hold is engaged, the temp will drop back a few degrees before the heating element kicks in again. Which may explain the appearance of barely being able to reach boiling, its maximum target.

For example when I set mine to 205 F the rate of hearing will start slowing at 197 or so, them once 205 is reached it will stop. When the temp drops back to 203 the water is reheated again to 205, and this cycle repeats until the kettle is lifted off its base.

For boiling water the non-temperature-variable kettle is a better choice as it just adds heat until stream is produced. Getting there a bit faster.

In addition to the random shutoffs, mine will reach a boil sometimes, but sometimes it will never hit the target temp at all. The place I bought it from apparently has a thirty day return policy, so it is going back. Older models seem to be fine, but the current model has problems.

I've always thought it would be nice to have a electric water kettle, but I can't get past a tea pot on the stove. I think the only downside to a stove top solution is that you can't really walk away from it which is a real upside to an electric kettle - at least the kind that can turn off.

good luck in the return.

-jim

I've used an ancient Russell Hobbs for about as long as I can remember.

Never had an issue with it.

Too bad they no longer make this model :sad:

proxy.php

I've never had any issues with the Bonavita Variable temp kettle, though I've had it for several years now and not sure if the model has changed.

I like this unit by Adagio:

http://www.amazon.com/Adagio-Teas-u...3874&sr=8-1&keywords=utilitea+electric+kettle

It only holds 30 ounces so it is not too heavy to lift when full. It has a variable temperature dial but the downside is it has no temperature guide on it. I usually check it with an instant thermometer and set it where I want it and leave it there. It is fast. I don't know why it took me so long to get one. I got it after a trip to Australia and the room I was in had an electric kettle. I loved it.

Mike

Top Bottom