What's new

Tie/Shirt advice?

Hey everybody, thanks for the replies, I surely appreciate it. I was going to wear it to work as we are having a "tie" day. It's usually jeans and polos. I was going to wear that shirt with a solid navy tie as it wouldn't be very noticeable. I actually dig that shirt, but it is a bit busy, LOL. Thanks again.

steve

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'll also tell you that you're going to be hard-pressed to match a tie with that shirt without making some sort of outrageous statement.

If I had to pick something from what you've presented, I would go with either of the leftmost ones. If you can go get a tie, something yellow or gold tends to work well with blue (complementary colors), and you'll probably want something somewhat subdued to go with the busy shirt.

I'm afraid I need to be in the camp of getting a different shirt. The traditional white or light blue can go with about anything. French blue is dressy but still has some pop to it. Really, any solid shirt can work just fine with a tie.

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I do agree this shirt is tough to match and I appreciate all the advice. I do quite like the shirt though, and stumbled upon this pic while browsing the net. What do you think of this, but with a navy tie?

proxy.php

That isn't bad. As I said in your other thread, covering a patterned shirt with a sweater or blazer really helps you when matching a tie.

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I do agree this shirt is tough to match and I appreciate all the advice. I do quite like the shirt though, and stumbled upon this pic while browsing the net. What do you think of this, but with a navy tie?

proxy.php
Too busy for my taste. And a button down shirt with tie and suit, really?

Too busy for my taste. And a button down shirt with tie and suit, really?
button down shirt with a suit is a Trad staple. Admittedly this is not a trad look but just pointing out that it isnt the big sin that some people think it is. If I did it, it would only be with a whit or pale blue shirt.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

Well, there ya go. Time to close the book on button-down shirts with suit. That is gold-plated and irrefutable. I'm going to start sewing buttons on my dadgum dress shirts!

As far as the navy tie with that shirt, this is one of those situations where navy and black are miles apart. That black tie with that shirt looks much better than I expected it would, but the navy-on-navy just looks like a hole in the center of your shirt.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Re button-down shirts and suits ...

... a sensible 'rule' from the days when the only button-downs were oxford cloth, and guys paid a lot more attention to details and ... the word escapes me, but there were a lot more specific grades of clothing styles for purposes, and guys didn't mix much. Factor in modern style blending and 'laissez faire', and ... it doesn'tt matter much any more. when the next guy is wearing a down vest or hoodie with his suit, your two buttons are kind of lost in the shuffle.

As always, regional differences apply.

Always remember that the fact that a handsome, famous man once wore something, does not mean it's a good idea for you to try it yourself. ;). That said, I'm not part of the "absolutist" anti-button-down group. You can look good with a button-down collar and a suit and tie. But more often than not I would bet that if you compared it with a "regular" collar, that would look better.

As for the original question, yeah, you're should start off with simpler shirts. If you're at the point where you have to ask a forum "does this shirt go with this tie?" then you should be getting white, cream, light gray, or light blue dress shirts with a conservative collar type (e.g. no cutaways or funky stuff like a Mandarin collar). Start from there. Get an eye for things. Then you can get adventurous. Remember that "stylish" doesn't mean that you have to be wearing flashy clothing. Learn to walk first, then you can run.

I think, apart from style rules, that a button down shirt does not give enough room to the tie knot.

proxy.php
totally depends ont he shirt. The term is collar roll and some have it in spades. **disclaimer, I am not supporting or condoning any of these color/pattern combos, just supplyign quick google image search results for collar roll**

http://cdn.styleforum.net/4/4e/500x1000px-LL-4e76dcc1_2.jpeg

http://blog.trashness.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Benedikt-His-Favorite-Tie-roll-collar-OCBD.jpg

http://oxfordclothbuttondown.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Dome-Collar-Roll.jpg

The more I look at this, I have a solid Black Grenefaux that may be doable with my shirt. Thanks again for all the replies/advice.

proxy.php

Not my style personally ... but the most important part is that you like it, and feel good in it. If you wear it with confidence, it will automatically look better on you :001_smile

Not my style personally ... but the most important part is that you like it, and feel good in it. If you wear it with confidence, it will automatically look better on you :001_smile

Counterpoint: Wearing too many flashy/clashing outfits will quickly make you into "That guy with the funny ties". To put it harshly, you don't want to end up being a clown, even if you wear the red nose with confidence!

Counterpoint: Wearing too many flashy/clashing outfits will quickly make you into "That guy with the funny ties". To put it harshly, you don't want to end up being a clown, even if you wear the red nose with confidence!
Hmm true ... aim for the middle ground.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hmm true ... aim for the middle ground.

What are those diagrams called ... Venn Diagrams or something? ... where you have two or more circles which only slightly overlap? One is "what I like" and the other is "what is stylish" ... maybe a third "what actually looks good on me".

You get the idea.

What are those diagrams called ... Venn Diagrams or something? ... where you have two or more circles which only slightly overlap? One is "what I like" and the other is "what is stylish" ... maybe a third "what actually looks good on me".

You get the idea.
That's a great example.

Top Bottom