What's new

How to make a Coconut shaving bowl

Inspired by another memember, I decided to make my own coconut shaving bowl. It ended up like this:

proxy.php

I bought a nice, well formed coconut in a supermarket. The first thing I did, was to empty it from the juice.
I did it by making three holes on the top of the coconut. It can be done by some kind of screwdriver. I placed it upside down on a cup until all the juice was out.
Then I used my hacksaw to remove the top of the coconut.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I think, that it is important, to do it at the right place, not too high, not too low, so that the lather don't overflow (if too low) and that the hole is big enough to make it easy to lather.

After that I left the open coconut to the day after.
I then removed the meat form the coconut with a sharp knife by cutting out slices piece by piece.

proxy.php

Before I use the bowl, I fill it with water with brush in it and let let the bowl and the brush soak for a few minutes.
The result was surprising! Very comfortable lathering, without the lather all over outside the bowl.

proxy.php

After the shaving, I just rinse it with water and leave it with the remaining coconut cap on a shelf in my bathroom.

proxy.php

Have a nice day!

Last edited:
Very nice project, I might just have to try my hand at one of these soon. Maybe playing with a coconut will distract me from the impending winter storm. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome idea I'll have to try it. Also when you're done shaving you can run around the house clapping the coconut together like your riding a horse.....sorry monty python was the first thing I thought of when I saw the coconut.

Did you coat it with any sealant? Seems coconut shell might be fairly porous.
I didn't seal it with anything. It's just as is. After gently removing the meat, the inside is very smooth. And the outside ? ... I like the natural feeling of the coconut.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Nice job :thumbup1:

If I understand correctly, you're only supposed to use Lime scented soap or cream with it, right?

Bruder bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime
His sister had anudder one she paid it for de lime
She put de lime in de coconut, she drank 'em bot' up

Great, now I won't get that out of my head for the rest of the day. :laugh:

Great idea for the coconut. I did that a long time ago to create a pen holder. Never thought of using one for a lather bowl.

I like how you left the coconut natural on the outside. Gives it sort of a Survivor/Gilligan's Island appeal. I think it's cool.

Top Bottom