What's new

Would you buy a Chinese Razor?

I have many top end razors and decided to purchase a cheap Chinese Rimei safety razor because I was told they are just as effective as any more expensive razor....wrong! When I unpacked this razor the safety bar was bent at the corner. Also it is chrome plated not stainless steel as advertised. I have requested a refund via ebay so am awaiting. Why do people bother to continue to purchase this rubbish?

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. I have toyed with the idea of getting a Weishi just for kicks, but can't see spending even that minimal amount for a so-so, mild copy of a classic Gillette.

Yes, I might get a Weishi in the future. If I don't like it, I will just give it to someone else.

I'm sure it does the job when you're on a budget.

It might not be as good as the big names, but not everybody has the budget for a $100+ starter kit.

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. I have toyed with the idea of getting a Weishi just for kicks, but can't see spending even that minimal amount for a so-so, mild copy of a classic Gillette.
Thats not always true. I have bought a FaTip Piccolo for 19 euro and it's the only razor I have been using now. I really wouldn't want to change it with an another razor. It performs better than the 34C HD which I got for 39 euro's.

Depends.. Do they use formaldehyde in the metal?
Kidding.. I own a weishi, well a non functional weishi anyway!

It's worth a try. Remember that Japanese & Chinese cultures have raised to an art form copying and perfecting. And the Chinese do it much cheaper.

I figured for less then $3 with free shipping what could it hurt to try. If nothing else its a cheap handle and I could tap the threads for a different head. If that doesn't work I am sure it would make a nice paperweight for the desk or something to chuck at the cat when he won't shut up in the middle of the night.

I have many top end razors and decided to purchase a cheap Chinese Rimei safety razor because I was told they are just as effective as any more expensive razor....wrong! When I unpacked this razor the safety bar was bent at the corner. Also it is chrome plated not stainless steel as advertised. I have requested a refund via ebay so am awaiting. Why do people bother to continue to purchase this rubbish?
Actually I have a Weishi and am very happy with it. It's a 9306L. The Parker29L I got as my first razor was damaged from the time I opened it. Although, I sent an email back and Howie sent me a good one right away. I think it just depends on who is making it at the time and the QC at the factory.

Actually I have a Weishi and am very happy with it. It's a 9306L...
+1. That is the first razor I bought when I went back to DE's. It was about $10 IIRC complete with plastic travel case and was/is a very nice shaver. It is a clone of the Super Speeds and the quality of mine was fine. After I (quickly) started adding to my collection, it got relegated to travel razor status, and then it eventually got retired after I switched to exclusively using Open Comb and injector razors, but I never regretted buying it.

I bought a no name brand 1$ with free shipping razor off of Amazon.... It was a very poorly made cheap feeling price of junk. The stamped metal was so rough and sharp, I couldn't even give it to my 8 year old son to play with. And the shave was close(which made me sick with de and not go back to carts), but it was a bloody experience.

My wife got me a VDH branded weishi razor, which is a very good razor with good quality control. The only reason I switched to a vintage gillette is that I wanted a longer handle abd was recommended a super adjustable. But I still break out the VDH now and again.

I got one from a flea market, a Jue ji I think it was called, used it for a Christmas ornament this year :001_smile

The Weishi is a good razor, it costs about 10 bucks on eBay or at various shaving sites. A mild, good beginner razor. And the quality of construction is very good. I would recommend them over a Merkur any day.

Sweet!

I have made in China FS that is superb also - plus as you well know many of the knots in the high end brushes are made in China.

I dropped a Liojuny 22mm Boar knot into a custom handle I turned. It's become one of my favourite brushes!

The Weishi is a good razor, it costs about 10 bucks on eBay or at various shaving sites. A mild, good beginner razor. And the quality of construction is very good. I would recommend them over a Merkur any day.
+1 BUT not all Weishis are created equal. The 9306's are good. Most of the others are... well, not so good.

Why would someone order this razor? I ordered mine just for the hell of it because it was dirt cheap and I figured lets see what happens.

I ordered a cheap Chinese razor (don't remember the brand that was listed) for under $3 and received a Junjie razor instead. I let them know that the razor I received wasn't as described nor what I expected. They ask me for a pic and I didn't send one, I figured I'd just let it go because I didn't really care and it wasn't worth the trouble. So after a short time a second Junjie shows up in my mailbox. Sending another razor was unexpected and a nice gesture on their part.

My expectations were very low and it was about on par with what I expected. I mean after all it was shipped from China for under $3, including shipping, so the postage must have had some cost as well. I know that I can't ship anything to China for $3 and have no idea how they are making any money on this.

I knew that this $3 razor would never replace the high end stainless steel ATT razors that I own and that I'd likely use it one time to satisfy a curiosity and be through with it.

Quality wise, they should have called the thing a Junkie instead of a Junjie. The shave surprisingly wasn't bad at all (better that the very mild MicroTouch razor someone bought me from WalMart) and the blade gap was adjustable by just bending the metal base plate a little so it had that going for it. I figured that I could at least use the handle for something else when I ordered it. The quality of the razor was just so poor that there were no salvageable parts. It was just more of a functioning novelty item. Not a bad shaver at all but since the threads were so poor, I didn't see the thing lasting more than a month or two of daily shaves if even that before breaking. I'd use it if I didn't have anything else and I'd take shaving with it over a cart razor any day.

I chalked it up to a fun experiment and gave them both away in PIF's.

I doubt if we truly know which razors or parts of razors are from China. I've heard the Standard Razor is Chinese made, if so it's a surprisingly fine razor.

Top Bottom