What's new

Shaving Stands - Thread Wear

Maybe someone needs to take this up with the hardware industry. I now think everything we've used nuts and bolts for is in danger of falling apart. :001_rolle

IIRC the same member advocated disassembling the razor after use, cleaning and then reassembling. I'm prepared to bet that will place more stress on the threads than a stand.

My thinking exactly.

I get the idea that it would put pressure on the threads, but that pressure is nothing. Not to mention the fact that it's what they are designed for.

IIRC the same member advocated disassembling the razor after use, cleaning and then reassembling. I'm prepared to bet that will place more stress on the threads than a stand.

This . . . when assembled, the "stress" that a hanging razor undergoes would not come close to meeting the force necessary to degrade the razor material's inherent strength*. The disassembly and reassembly of the razor for cleaning on a frequent basis would place more wear on the metals and threads than any other type of wear or strain.

*I am not a metallurgical engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

I bought my Slim and FB razors when they first came out. As a result they have been resting comfortably in stands together with a Tech for 50+ years with no problems.

I bought my Slim and FB razors when they first came out. As a result they have been resting comfortably in stands together with a Tech for 50+ years with no problems.

I think Jim's post pretty much sums up the reality of this question. Hanging the razor by the handle or the head will NOT put any undue stress on the connecting parts.

30 30 30 (journalism for 'end of story')

Wow. Very impressive, Jim. I hope that I'm still using the same razors 50+ years from now. :thumbup1:

I get the theory behind this thought but the reality is that tightening does exert stress of a very similar if not exact type. The purpose of the threading is to bring the two items together as it is turned. Gravity would be pulling them apart int he opposite direction. At its tightest you are pulling on the threads in the same manner as gravity and you exert way more force with your hands than the light handle does with gravity. True, hanging will exert more force than laying flat but nothing close to beyond its thresholds.

I get the theory behind this thought but the reality is that tightening does exert stress of a very similar if not exact type. The purpose of the threading is to bring the two items together as it is turned. Gravity would be pulling them apart int he opposite direction. At its tightest you are pulling on the threads in the same manner as gravity and you exert way more force with your hands than the light handle does with gravity. True, hanging will exert more force than laying flat but nothing close to beyond its thresholds.

Fair enough! I did notice you stated light handle. I would assume this meant a zamak razor handle. If one paired and hung a zamak head with a SS handle, that force may be too strong in the downward direction due to the weight. Which may be why Zamak handles are light in the first place.

I hope/assumed that manufacturers do take into account the thresholds of all angular pressures on the threaded stem, but given some the stories and pictures I have seen here on B&B, I personally can't be 100% sure. I have seen some beautiful pictures of zamak rot here on B&B. Usually related to the stem!

Thanks for the input and having some class while doing so!

Peace!

All handles are light comparatively speaking. But hey... Nothing to it but to do it. Buy one and see

Naaaaaaaaa! I already invested in 1 SS razor and I am waiting for another manufacturer to have some available. I currently have 3 zamak razors and I do like them very much, but...... in an un-optimistic way, I am waiting for the Z-Rot shoe to drop. If it does, so be it!

Peace!

LOL this is Epic. and just to make sure we have a complete test, since you guys are doing the Vertical stress test, I will be doing the horizontal test to see if the weight of the razor head will create enough gravitational stress to bend each razor into a hybrid slant:lol:

$Custom Razor case 2.jpg

Also to see if the "Matrix Effect" Happens

Sorry to the OP, just could not resist :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO the only reason to hang / store a razor upside down is if it is a TTO of some sort. For those, storing them upside down can help the TTO mechnisms remain free of any buildup from water deposits and such.

Total non-issue. The repeated screwing/unscrewing of the head will do the most wear on the tool. Hanging in a stand? No way.

Years back on another forum, someone said that stropping on linen heats up the edge enough to make it malleable enough for the leather side to realign the edge. Sometimes people over-think things, and try to make mountains out of molehills.

You Sir are a B&B champion!!! 50+ years??? I salute you! :thumbup:

I agree with Mr. Blast.

Definitely not a problem unless you toss your razor into a black hole handle-first. If you did that, the differential pull of gravity on the handle vs. the head would definitely strip the threads.

Otherwise, there are many, many more weighty problems to worry about.

Remember - this is only shaving. Don't overthink it.

That's the most absurd thing I've read in a while.

Sorry, it's just my honest opinion.

Last edited:
Plus, if you stored razors with the handle end resting on a solid surface, wouldn't that likewise place downward pressure on the threads and also deform them?

What's a shaver to do?

Top Bottom